Page 1 of 2 Next >> With an eye on replacing the Maserati A6G 2000 road car, the Orsi family explored various options during the second half of the 1950s. One of them was a relatively compact machine, powered by a 1.5 litre four cylinder engine and dubbed the 150 GT. Eventually, the larger and more powerful 3500 GT received the nod, retiring the single 150 GT development prototype built to a corner of the factory.
The life of this unique machine actually started several years before it took its final form, which is illustrative of how tight resources prompted manufacturers to recycle existing components where possible. The chassis was laid down in 1954 for the A6 GCS/53 sports racer used by works driver Luigi Musso. He campaigned the six cylinder machine throughout the year on his way to becoming Italian Champion in the 2-litre category, finishing third overall in the Mille Miglia and first in class in the Targa Florio.
At the end of the year, Maserati could not sell the car because, for a variety of reasons, it had received the same chassis number as the A6 GCS/53 used by Musso in 1953. Instead the car was stripped and served as the third prototype for the upcoming 300S sports racer. Re-numbered '003', the chassis was lengthened and fitted with a 250F derived six cylinder engine, bigger brakes and transaxle gearbox. Throughout a testing period, the chassis was gradually modified, making the third and final prototype the quickest of the lot.
Having served its second purpose, the chassis was stripped and set aside late in 1954. It lingered in a corner for over 18 months before it was dusted off for its final transformation into the 150 GT. It was long believed and stated in the factory build sheets, that this car was actually based on a modified 150S / 200S chassis but more recent research by marque-expert Adolfo Orsi revealed the true origins of the heavily modified chassis. Using a competition chassis for the new road car made sense as the race shop was tasked with the development. Page 1 of 2 Next >>