Page 1 of 1 In the immediate post-War years, Frazer Nash produced a series of hugely competitive sports cars, usually bodied with minimalistic cycle-fender coach-work. Following third place finish at Le Mans in 1949 of one of the very first of these, the subsequent production cars were dubbed Le Mans Replicas. A change in regulations meant that from 1953 onwards full-width bodies were mandatory for most major races.
In addition to introducing the open Targa Florio, Frazer Nash used this opportunity to create the Le Mans Coupe; the company's very first fixed-head production car. Like the Targa Florio, the new Coupe used the latest tubular frame chassis as introduced on the Mk2 Le Mans Replica a year earlier. Also carried over were the independent front suspension and the torsion-bar rear suspension. Powering the Le Mans Coupe was a hot, 140 bhp version of the venerable BMW-based straight six engine.
The Le Mans Coupe's distinguishing body was beautifully crafted in lightweight aluminium alloy. It featured a wide horizontal grille and a bulge on the engine cover to clear the tall stack of Solex carburettors. The type-name was aptly chosen as the slippery Coupe was created specifically to star at high-speed circuits like Le Mans. Despite the addition of a roof, the Le Mans Coupe tipped the scales at just 760 kg, which was less than 60 kg more than the Targa Florio.
Between 1953 and 1955, Frazer Nash produced nine examples, three of which were actually raced at Le Mans. In 1953 one car finished 13th overall and first in class and a year later the same car placed an impressive 11th overall. Many of its sister cars were raced with considerable success all around Europe. In 1954, an open version, following the same basic design, was also created. Dubbed the Sebring, only three examples of these were built before Frazer Nash production ended. Page 1 of 1