Page 1 of 2 Next >> The Maserati brothers' final major task while still working for Adolfo Orsi was the development of a two-litre, straight six engine. When they left Maserati to form OSCA in 1947, the brothers started with a more modest four-cylinder engine, which appealed to a broader range of customers. Powering small sports cars, the compact 'four' proved hugely successful but the idea of a larger, straight-six engine still lingered in the back of Ernesto Maserati's head.
An opportunity arose when a lack of Formula 1 entrants prompted organisers to run the World Championship Grands Prix in 1952 and 1953 under the existing Formula 2 regulations. This prompted Ernesto Maserati to design an all-new OSCA F2 car around a two-litre, straight six engine. Wholly conventional in its design, the new OSCA faced the dominant Ferraris and struggled both seasons. One of the two machines produced did manage to score a pair of wins in minor French races.
To recoup some of the considerable resources spent on developing the F2 car, OSCA developed the car into a two-litre sports racer that would become available to customers at the start of the 1954 season. The sports car was so similar to the F2 that the second of the two single seater actually evolved into one. In addition to the existing F2 chassis, OSCA built an additional three examples of what would be known as the 2000S.
The most obvious component carried over from the troubled F2 car was Ernesto Maserati's new six-cylinder engine. Breathing through three sizeable Weber carburettors, it was rated at around 150 bhp. The sophisticated rear-end of a transaxle type, with the five-speed gearbox fitted in unit with the final drive. The drivetrain was mounted in a straightforward tubular frame with double-wishbone suspension at the front and DeDion rear axle. Page 1 of 2 Next >>