After two years of F2 regulations the 1954 world championship was raced under F1 regulations again. The new regulations allowed for 2.5 litre Naturally Aspirated and 750 cc supercharged engined racers. Ferrari modified their 1952 and 1953 world championship winning 500 F2 by boring and stroking the four cylinder engine. Enter the Ferrari 625 F1.
Maserati campaigned their six cylinder 250F from the beginning of the season. Halfway through the season Ferrari and Maserati were joined by the straight-eight cylinder engined Mercedes-Benz W196 and the Vittorio Jano designed Lancia D50 V8. Ferrari's three competitor's were all newer and of a more advanced design.
Juan Manuel Fangio started the season at Maserati but halfway the season he teamed up with Stirling Moss at Mercedes-Benz. Ferrari's two primary drivers were Froilan Gonzalez and Mike Hawthorn. Both drivers won a Grand Prix each, but they were not able to keep with Fangio. In the driver's championship the first three places behind Fangio were filled by Ferrari drivers.
For the 1955 season the four cylinder car was further modified but it was no longer competitive.
The featured example is seen here at the Spa Francorchamps and Nurburging rounds of the 2004 Ferrari/Maserati Historic Challenge.