View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 02:23 AM
Supporting Member

Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
I also did do some acceleration runs with my single-speed early-'70s dirt bike. It was not all one make; it was a Schwinn frame with parts I added on- rims, saddle, handlebars, etc.
As you said, being one speed, there was no time wasted shifting, but it did take longer to accelerate off the line.

I used to know the gears in each sprocket. I think it was 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 for the smaller front one and 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 for the bigger one. My older brother may remember since he also owned several 10- and 12-speed bikes.

I do remember that the gear changes did not go 1-2-3-4-5 with one sprocket like many people thought back then.
With two front sprockets and five at the freewheel, you will generally use the smaller front sprocket with the three largest sprockets on the freewheeel and the larger front one with the smallest three. (effectively giving you 6 speeds, without overlap). My front sprockets are 53/42/30 and the rears are 12/13/14/15/16/17/19/21/23....I will never use 53/23 as a drive.....normal driving at about 20-22 mph is with 42/15 or 42/14, and when I have a tailwind I shift to the 53, but then with the 17/16/15. Thinking about how to do a quarter mile, I might use 42/15 all the way or perhaps shift up to 53/15 towards the end. (I have a new 46 front sprocket available which I will use on the flats, just to reduce the difference between the two larger front sprockets, to give a smoother gear change, with far less big gaps.