View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 01:03 AM
Enthusiast

Way Down South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
I was about to say, it does look really boring and i can't imagine how the NASCAR guys ride around there for 4 hrs. It looks like you had fun trying different lines into turn 1 going into the infield tho.

I've always been curious about historics, do you mess around with your set-up (i.e. tire pressures, suspension, brake bias, etc) or is it pretty much run what ya brung? I understand having to change the gearing, you don't wanna be redlining in between turns 1 and 2 of the oval.
Not a fan of ovals, but I do respect the skill NASCAR guys need to hustle 3500 lbs. at 200mph up to four wide at this or any superspeedway. One thing about the lower apron: don't touch it... bad things happen when two wheels are on the flat
and two on the banking.

We're driving old cars but nobody just shows up and runs. Setup is critical to performance so everything is specific; besides gearing, suspension camber, toe and corner weights are especially important at a place like this. Brake bias is typically driver controlled, but I'd guess most never mess with it. Then there's tire choice... I've decided to run the car as in period so Goodyear bias-ply racing tires are it. I'm learning to appreciate their predictability, a useful quality in a mid-engined car.

Here's some of the few photos I took. Access is limited for even pro photographers, so amateur shutterbugs don't get close at all.
Whoever has the fencing contract with this place is makin' some dough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HSR Daytona Historics 2011 093.jpg (589.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg HSR Daytona Historics 2011 101.jpg (759.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg HSR Daytona Historics 2011 103.jpg (817.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg HSR Daytona Historics 2011 113.jpg (596.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg HSR Daytona Historics 2011 071.jpg (366.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg HSR Daytona Historics 2011 045.jpg (351.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by csl177; 11-18-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: photo swap