Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unusual Classic racecars

Unusual Classic racecars

South Africa was full of unusual racecars in the older days.A couple of oneoff specials were built and raced. I will post some here.......but what about the rest of the worlds unusual race cars. Post them This was the Oliver special from somewhere in the 60's
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm just an oldhustler trapped in a hotrodders world
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.
    Fiberglass is traditional.From Malmesbury,South Africa

This isn't particularly unusual, but I find the size difference between the Falcon and the Mini entertaining.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

You would have missed my 2005 posting of THIS fabulous site which has heaps of classic-era Oz racing pics, also vintage & veteran

In it you will find everything from basic home-builds to the Centaur coupe and mighty Maybach GP racers

I'm sure you'd enjoy taking time to wade through the 'collections' list and you'll find a 'next' link on the bottom of every page

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    You would have missed my 2005 posting of THIS fabulous site which has heaps of classic-era Oz racing pics, also vintage & veteran

In it you will find everything from basic home-builds to the Centaur coupe and mighty Maybach GP racers

I'm sure you'd enjoy taking time to wade through the 'collections' list and you'll find a 'next' link on the bottom of every page
    This is absolutely fabulous....i'll take time tonight to work this through. Thanx for the link
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.

Here is also a famous South African car in the 60's. I dont think the rest of the world often raced these cars!!!

Quote Originally Posted by willysjeep View Post
    Here is also a famous South African car in the 60's.
    Great old photo!
    I dont think the rest of the world often raced these cars!!!
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...5-post291.html !!!

Click the studebakerracing.com link in my above post for photos of 100% stock-standard Studies racing at Phillip Island 500 mile enduro (precursor to Bathurst) and Bathurst 500 itself. I particularly like the charismatic final pic .. nose up, foot down

The Mpiti Renault. The car was built for the 1967 9hr, by Terry Townsend with financial help from Lawsons Motors and using a 1100 Gordini engine. It lasted for the first 4 hours when a clutch broke and Townsend parked at the track side. Ben Pons Porsche in avoiding another car, hit the Mpiti and virtually destroyed it.

In 2002 Townsend decided to rebuild the car using new moulds for the body etc as he thought the original had been damn ugly. He replaced the Gordini engine with a 16TS motor and R12 gearbox.

This car is still widely appreciated at motorshows in South Africa
    Last edited by willysjeep; 10-14-2008 at 06:45 AM. Reason: to many flippen fingers

Quote Originally Posted by willysjeep View Post
    In 2002 Townsend decided to rebuild the car using new moulds for the body etc as he thought the original had been damn ugly. He replaced the Gordini engine with a 16TS motor and R12 gearbox.
    Not so smart for him, unfortunately. The original one looked better, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Not so smart for him, unfortunately. The original one looked better, in my opinion.
    I am in the process to try to get better pic of Mpiti after the rebuild, but Terry Townsend is not too co operative......i've send him 6 emails and everytime a different answer or excuse...... and as i am in the same leaque as a political reporter....i wont give up trying. So watch this space............................................. ....
    Last edited by willysjeep; 10-14-2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: misfortune...hehehe

The Kyalami 9 hr revival was held last weekend and i managed to missed it somehow. The Mpiti Renault in its new livery came out for practice, and this pic was taken by a professional racecar photographer, which he posted on his site. Here's a link to his site. Very nice pix there as well

MotoPrint - Quality Original Prints
    Last edited by willysjeep; 11-30-2008 at 05:05 AM. Reason: to many fingers

There is a bunch of freaky racecars; my favorite is the BMW Isetta (I don't want to know about its crash-test ratings)
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 11-30-2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Too large an inline image
    I am a n00b for now, but I plan to become auto savvy the same way I became computer hardware and water-cooling savvy: through FORUMS

Hope nobody minds...

Quote Originally Posted by GumballRunner View Post
    There is a bunch of freaky racecars; my favorite is the BMW Isetta (I don't want to know about its crash-test ratings)
    that's nice, you think the ratings would be worse than those of a 695 Esseesse?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Nice pictures. This link shows ice racing in the fifties. I think there are some really cool cars there. The race takes part on a lake in my home town in Sweden. YouTube - Isracing 1954 i Hudiksvall
    René Bonnet Djet
    Simca 1200 S Coupé

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    that's nice, you think the ratings would be worse than those of a 695 Esseesse?
    I really dunno, it depends mostly on the kind of inclines during the race!
    I am a n00b for now, but I plan to become auto savvy the same way I became computer hardware and water-cooling savvy: through FORUMS

Hope nobody minds...

Quote Originally Posted by MartB View Post
    Nice pictures. This link shows ice racing in the fifties. I think there are some really cool cars there. The race takes part on a lake in my home town in Sweden. YouTube - Isracing 1954 i Hudiksvall
    FANTASTIC

What tyres did they run back then ?
    Did they rely on the narrowness or were the spiked ??

The specials looked fast but the "stock" cars looked fun !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information