Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A big question for the experts???

A big question for the experts???

OK I want to turbocharge a vehicle but I have a huge question at hand. Is it okay to use dump waste exhaste from the wastegate to power another turbo. EX. Kind of like adding a turbo to a twin turbo setup on a V8 and using the the twin turbo wastegates dump exhaste to power the add-on turbo.

Would it work? There would only be air flowing through it for short times, which may not be enough to give enough of its momentum to the turbo, but i may have the wrong idea.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

so you want a smaller turbo connected to the dump, you can go and check out the new twin turbo diesel engines or also BMW tt petrol engines, ex:335i. some of theese engines keep the smaller turbo allways on from engine start, then the bigger turbo starts when certain revs are reached.

If i get your ideia correct you want the exaust gases to allways pass thru a turbo?
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

What I am saying is can I have to small turbos set up and when I am in the high revs and divert the exhaste from the wastegates to a big turbo with no problem?

In principle this should be possible, but is the time of the wastegate opening enough to power the secondary turbo long enough to make it efficient ?

I think you'd end up shifting before the next turbo got spooled up and going.
    You can call me scott.

Aren't you essentially creating a Sequential Turbo System?

Twin-turbo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It can definitely be done but it is complicated to get the system to work correctly.

I remember reading a white paper a long time ago that said one of the biggest challenges of the system is not getting the second turbo to start, but instead getting it to stop correctly.

If remember correctly, I think when transitioning from two to one turbocharger there is a region of 'instability' in the system.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

My point of this topic is to understand the limitations of turbos, assuming that the BOV Boost controller and wastegate controls the turbo, is it possible for the dump exhaste from the wastegate to power another turbo ( a big turbo) when the rpm is in the high range. Assume that the in the high rpm range the exhaste passthrought the wastegate from the main front turbos (the smaller ones) and go into the secondary turbo (the big turbo). Is it possible or is it a technical problem.

Do you mean a wastegate or a blow-off? One relieves pressure in the intake to limit boost, the other opens a route around the turbo in off-boost conditions to stop compressor surge. In either case, I fail to see the benefit of passing that waste gas to another compressor.

maybe you might be interested in a supercharger and turbo system......
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Just think of a V8 engine where the two exhaste manifolds from each side are connected to a wastegate and turbo which this engine will have two turbos. Ok there is another wastegate and turbo place in the engine but instead of being connected to the exhaste manifolds the turbo is connected to the twin turbo's wastegate; is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalifrajasexi View Post
    Just think of a V8 engine where the two exhaste manifolds from each side are connected to a wastegate and turbo which this engine will have two turbos. Ok there is another wastegate and turbo place in the engine but instead of being connected to the exhaste manifolds the turbo is connected to the twin turbo's wastegate; is that possible?
    Possible, but without meaning and reason.
    The wastegate would not provide enough constant air pressure for the turbo to have any function.

So I guess having a Tri-Turbo setup in a V8 is out the question, right?

No, just a plumbing nightmare.

16 would be possible, but probably pointless
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

What do you mean by 16 would be possible?

Thread Information