Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pontiac GTO Sucks

Angry Pontiac GTO Sucks

This has been bothering me for a while. I thought I might buy a GTO when they came out, but I was very dissapointed.

Power and performance aside, the thing looks like an overgrown Sunfire! I think the designers at Pontiac are phoning it in. In the time of the Mini, Mustang GT(2005), T-Bird, SSR, Ford GT50, Crossfire, hell..even the PT Cruiser!...you'd think they would have come up with something resembling a real GTO!

Car manufacturers have realized we love nostalgia, that is why I was so excited for the GTO. I had been drooling over the Holden for years wishing they would bring it in some fashion to the US.

My ultimate dream is for Buick to use the platform for a new Skylark GS. Maybe they can pull their heads out of their asses and create something that Pontiac can learn from.

I dunno, maybe the need to compete with the imports overroad any original thought? It kinda looks like a bigger 3rd Gen Intergra.

All I am asking is, are you with me? I saw one on the road and it looked allright, but it didn't make me want to buy one.

—Skylark64

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I think the GTO is a nice car (at least, as new cars go), but calling it a Goat was a bad move. It's more of an executive express than a real muscle car. It's more a matter of semantics, they set people's expectations for the car to something it just isn't.

Do I think the GTO is a nice car? Yes. Does it deserve the GTO name? No.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123
    I think the GTO is a nice car (at least, as new cars go), but calling it a Goat was a bad move. It's more of an executive express than a real muscle car. It's more a matter of semantics, they set people's expectations for the car to something it just isn't.

Totally agree with that. Awesome car, but doesnt really deserve the GTO name.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Totally agree with that. Awesome car, but doesnt really deserve the GTO name.
    I don't agree, performance wise it's very worthy of the name. As far as looks go, not all cars have to be retro guys. Example: the new C6 Corvette looks nothing like the original back in 1953 and we have no trouble calling it a Vette. I would agree if the GTO had poor HP and performance.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

The original GTO was named after the Ferrari GTO. GTO stands for Gran Turismo Omolagato or a homologation: a road worthy version of a race car. So really even the original GTO didn't deserve its name.

As for it being a nice car...definitely. For '05 it gets the 400hp engine. Looks wise, its a matter of opinion and I like it. Its a sleeper, better understated than.... Maybe a little more aggression would have been nice but it's not a clean slate design, it's a Monaro. I guess the tradition lives on for the Pontiac GTO, it still doesn't deserve its name but it's a great car.

I think when Bob Lutz first drove the Monaro and first decided to import it as a GTO, it was more of a quick fix solution than anything else, to try and reestablish Pontiac as a performance brand. The styling is probably nowhere near what a GTO should be, but when the Monaro was re-released here in 2001, people were saying it didnt live up to the Monaro name either.....Wait till 2007 for the ALL new model and you might be satisfied
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    The original GTO was named after the Ferrari GTO. GTO stands for Gran Turismo Omolagato or a homologation: a road worthy version of a race car.
    Good to see you know your Ferrari history
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

LOL!!

I think the GTO looks pretty good but nothing like what it should look like, i think it would be better if it had some retro features
    coltyu. d;-)!

The bonnet vents on the Monaro really look out of place without the dual nose grille, the Monaro's been lsing sales enough without Denny Mooney "americanising" it to cut costs
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Colty
    LOL!!

I think the GTO looks pretty good but nothing like what it should look like, i think it would be better if it had some retro features
    >Buy new GTO>Take it to Ligenfelter>Have them drop in a 600+ HP 427 big block in it!!>That's the kinda retro Taz likes!!!

Nah, take it to CAPA so they can fit one of their 560kw 383ci supercharged engines
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    The original GTO was named after the Ferrari GTO. GTO stands for Gran Turismo Omolagato or a homologation: a road worthy version of a race car. So really even the original GTO didn't deserve its name.

As for it being a nice car...definitely. For '05 it gets the 400hp engine. Looks wise, its a matter of opinion and I like it. Its a sleeper, better understated than.... Maybe a little more aggression would have been nice but it's not a clean slate design, it's a Monaro. I guess the tradition lives on for the Pontiac GTO, it still doesn't deserve its name but it's a great car.
    hmm good point, i guess if you wanted to get down to the nitty gritty, youre completely correct. but you know what i'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Nah, take it to CAPA so they can fit one of their 560kw 383ci supercharged engines
    Ligenfelter will put twin turbos or a supercharger on the 427 if your wallet is deep enough

what figures are those engines pushing? a company here called APS just released a twin turbo kit on the LS1 that can pump out from 400kw to 700kw
    I am the Stig

Straight from the Poncho website:

5.7L V8 SFI aluminum (350 HP [260.7 kW] @ 5200 rpm, 365 lb-ft [492.7 N-m] @4000 rpm)

Thread Information