Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford Duratec 3.0 V6

Ford Duratec 3.0 V6

I have researched the Ford built 3.0 V6 some. Found in many Ford vehicles and also powering the various Lincolns/Mazdas/Jags. Havn't come across too much...as in exact evolution of this engine.

Some basics: It is a 3.0 liter, 60' V6, all aluminum(block and heads), chain-driven, DOHC, 24 valve engine. Enlarged version of European Mondeos 2.5L V6?...What is a good source of engine development info? Or maybe you know something about it from personal experience? It powered the Taurus/Sables.

Maybe someones parents or friends had an especially high mileage Duratec? I searched google for Duratec life expectancy, and came up with about 180K miles. Hardly impressive.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

that is pretty poor really!

company that i work for is dealing with a racing company that use duratech in there low weight kit cars they, the reason that they use them is because of their weight>power they are a pretty light enginend in a car that weighs 500kg they can tweek it to produce round 350 bhp
    www.britishmods.co.uk

In America the name 'Duratec' means any DOHC engine, but in Europe it can refer to any number of engines.

The original Duratec V6 was introduced in Europe in 1993 in the Ford Mondeo (Ford Contour/ Mercury Mystique in NA). Then in 2000 the smaller 4 cyl Mondeo engines also got the Duratec name, as well as others.

There are 2.5 and 3.0 V6s with many applications throughout the Ford empire, but also notably Noble sports cars, where it is boosted to 425bhp in the M400.

Apparently there will be a 3.5 version for 2005, and the V6 can be expanded to a maximum of 3.8 litres. (http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionar...Ford%20Duratec)

The 6.0 litre V12 as used by Aston Martin in the DB7 Vantage, GT, Zagato, AMR1, Vanquish and DB9 (I think) as well as the Ford GT90 is basically two Duratec V6s stuck together.
    Thanks for all the fish

Yes, American 4 cylinder DOHC motors are Zetec. The Duratec 3.0 (NA) motors come in the Taurus and Escape while 3.0 OHV motors come in the Ranger, Taurus, Windstar (now known as the Freestar and sans 3.0), and the old Aerostars. The 2.5 Duratec only came in the Contour/Mystique V-6s (Pain in the arse to work on).
    I have heard of the 3.5, but I don't know when it will come out and in what car, probably the new Freestyle, "Futura" (no offical word on name as of yet), or Five Hundred. The Mustang will have an updated 4.0L SOHC V-6 along with the 4.6 3V SOHC V-8.

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeNitroBIRM
    Yes, American 4 cylinder DOHC motors are Zetec. The Duratec 3.0 (NA) motors come in the Taurus and Escape while 3.0 OHV motors come in the Ranger, Taurus, Windstar (now known as the Freestar and sans 3.0), and the old Aerostars. The 2.5 Duratec only came in the Contour/Mystique V-6s (Pain in the arse to work on).
    I have heard of the 3.5, but I don't know when it will come out and in what car, probably the new Freestyle, "Futura" (no offical word on name as of yet), or Five Hundred. The Mustang will have an updated 4.0L SOHC V-6 along with the 4.6 3V SOHC V-8.
    Duratec 2.5 V6 was also put in the last gen Mercury Cougars.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Yes, you are right. Almost forgot about the Cougars, but the chassis of the Cougar and the Contour are the same, to a degree. Just one is a two door and one is a four door.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Course, I've seen Toyota V6's that keel over after ~ 180k miles too
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

The Marcos TS250 Marcasite also uses the 2.5 version.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    The 6.0 litre V12 as used by Aston Martin in the DB7 Vantage, GT, Zagato, AMR1, Vanquish and DB9 (I think) as well as the Ford GT90 is basically two Duratec V6s stuck together.
    Yeah the AMV12 was 2 Duratec's grafted together, but i thought the engine that went into the GT90 was 2 V8's, each with a different end lopped off to make a clean join
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    i thought the engine that went into the GT90 was 2 V8's, each with a different end lopped off to make a clean join
    Could be...
    Some engines joined together anyhow.
    Thanks for all the fish

Maybe thats what gave Ford the initial idea to phase out the 351 and 302 with their MODular range....Theyve alread made 2 V10's from the MOD
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Maybe thats what gave Ford the initial idea to phase out the 351 and 302 with their MODular range....Theyve alread made 2 V10's from the MOD
    Ford's Modular Engines were designed so that parts from one engine fit with another. The 2.3L 4 cylinder and the 4.6L cylinder had parts that were supposed to be interchangeable. Evenutally, it was ruled out because it just didn't work.

I was insinuating though that perhaps after playing around with 2 V8's to make a V12, they got the idea to put a line of engines into production with interchangeable parts
    I am the Stig

I had mentioned in another thread that the Vanquish engine is two V6 duratecs joined together. Here is the link to where I learned this.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/duratec

"The rare 6.0 L V12 is essentially two 3.0 L V6 units bolted together. Aston Martin use this engine in the Db7 and the V12 Vanquish."

**Know of a site that goes into engine development? You'd think manufacturers would love to brag about their engine designs. Maybe a layman's book on engine architecture?
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Duratech is a very good motor

I have driven my parents two Taurus sedans, a 99' and an 02', both equipped with the Duratech. They feel very responsive and torquey, despite Fords pedestrian claim of 200 horse and 200 lb/ft. I have allways felt that there was more power in that engine waiting to be released, and Mazda, Lincoln, and Noble have proven me right.

I never understood why Ford refused to install the variable valve timing they employ in the Lincoln LS on higher end Taurus'. All the while Honda, Nissan, and Toyota passed them by with more and more pwerfull V6 engines in their sedan. Mazda also tweaked the Duratech for 20 more horse in their 6s.

Also, I allways thought the 2.5 was a de-stroked version of the 3.0, not the other way around. The GT90 was in fact powered by two Lincoln V8's with two cylinders each lopped off, and spot welded together. At least that's what I've read.
    Most wanted cars:

Ford GT, Aston Martin DB9, Nissan Skyline R-34 V-Spec II, 2004 SVT Cobra Mustang, VW Golf R32, TVR Cerbera 4.5, Ford Focus RS, Aston Martin Vanquish S

Still waiting.....Shelby Cobra, Shelby GR1, 2006 Ford Lightning, Next generation SVT Mustang Cobra 2006? Mazda Speed RX8

Thread Information