Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Porsche 981 Boxster 2012-2016

Porsche 981 Boxster 2012-2016

Coves ala CGT.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I really liked the Spyder because it looked exactly like a mini Carrera GT.

But this will take some time, especially around the rear.

It's starting to look more and more like a MR2 from the front which isn't a bad thing but just unoriginal. Or I could just be blind.

I like that tail light/spoiler treatment..
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The rims look too big but i'm sure there'll be optional rims available when it comes out, Porsche always does well in that aspect, hopefully they'll be smaller

I like it.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

I've seen too many references to the MR2...this is not good for the Porsche marque.

I like the back but overall the car design doesn't look integrated.

I'd delete the coves or reshape them with more creativity, lose the Toyota.

It looks like... well... a Porsche.

Not a surprise. Which is good, I guess.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    I like the back but overall the car design doesn't look integrated.
    Well said. All the angles--front, back, and sides--look like they were designed in separate rooms by different design teams and then molded together by a guy named Keith.

And worse, the back end STILL looks like a face. It's ok, sometimes even beautiful, for the front of a car to look like a face but when the back looks like a face it's just damn confusing and off-putting.

i like the headlights of it

Porsche 981 Boxster

From http://www.autoblog.com

Porsche may have just unveiled its new 2012 911 Carrera Cabriolet at the Detroit Auto Show earlier this week, but the German automaker is wasting no time before showing off its next bit of overhauled hotness, the 2013 Boxster. The mid-engine roadster won't make its official debut until the Geneva Motor Show in March, but we've been given some preliminary details ahead of the new Box's primetime unveiling.

Much like the 911, the new Boxster's design is more evolution than revolution, and that's a-okay with us. The redesigned roadster is extremely handsome, and most of us on the Autoblog staff think it's the best-looking Boxster yet. We like the revised headlamps and more svelte running lamp/air intake setup, and the wider stance and longer wheelbase are nicely masked in the new design. The 2013 Boxster's all-aluminum skin also helps the new model shed a few pounds compared to its predecessor, which will not only make it that much more engaging out on the road, but also improve fuel economy.

But really, the Boxster is all about performance, andunder the hood behind the seats are two flat-six engines with direct injection, thermal management and start/stop functionality. The base Boxster uses a 2.7-liter flat six, good for 265 horsepower (10 hp more than its predecessor) while the Boxster S is powered by a 3.4-liter six that produces 315 hp (an increase of 5 hp versus the 2012 model). The standard Boxster will run to 60 miles per hour in 5.4 seconds with the seven-speed PDK dual-clutch transmission, while the Boxster S will do the same jaunt in just 4.7 seconds. A six-speed manual gearbox (what, no seven-speed?) is also available with either engine. Porsche will offer a Sport Chrono package that further enhances performance, adding things like dynamic transmission mounts and Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV).

Look for the 2013 Boxster to hit United States showrooms this summer, priced from $49,500 for the base car or $60,900 for the Boxster S (not including $950 for destination).

PRESS RELEASE
    2013 Porsche Boxster: Lighter, more muscular, more distinctive and more fuel-efficient

ATLANTA, January 12, 2012 – Never before in the history of the Porsche Boxster has a change of generation been so comprehensive. The open-top two-seat car receives an entirely new lightweight body and a completely revamped chassis. The new Boxster weighs less than the previous generation and rides on a longer wheelbase and a wider track. These new dimensions are coupled with larger wheels and a new electromechanical power steering system to significantly enhance the mid-engine sports car's driving dynamics. The new Boxster boasts superior performance and is also up to 15 percent more fuel-efficient than previous models on the European cycle.

The new Boxster benefits not only from an increased wheelbase but also shorter overhangs, while the windscreen has been shifted forward. The passengers are enclosed by the completely redesigned, fully electric top, which now dispenses with a convertible top compartment lid. The interior concept offers the occupants more space and reflects the new Porsche outline with a raked center console, which, originating with the Carrera GT ensures improved ergonomics in all models.

The new sports car generation makes its debut in the classic Porsche pairing of Boxster and Boxster S. Both models are powered by flat-six engines with direct fuel injection, the efficiency of which is further enhanced by electrical system recuperation, thermal management and start/stop function. The base model's new power unit delivers 265 hp from a 2.7 liter displacement – ten hp more than its larger displacement predecessor.

Technically, it is now based on the 3.4-liter engine of the Boxster S. This now delivers 315 hp, which is five hp more than before. Both models feature a manual six-speed gearbox as standard with the seven-speed Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) available as an option. Both sports cars achieve their best fuel consumption and acceleration performance with the PDK. With gear changes without interruption to the power flow, the Boxster sprints from zero to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds, the Boxster S in 4.7 seconds.

To enhance driving dynamics yet further, Porsche offers the Sport Chrono Package as an optional extra for the Boxster, featuring dynamic transmission mounts for the first time. Also new in the Boxster is Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) with a mechanical rear axle differential lock.

The new Boxster models are expected in U.S. showrooms in early summer 2012. The basic list price iwill be $49,500 for the Boxster and $60,900 for the Boxster S, not including a $950 destination charge.

More

Anyone know the internal code for this new model? New 911 was 991, previous Boxster was the 987 I believe

Found it. New Boxster is 981

Nice. A bit of an improvement over the last one.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Interesting how it won't have the 7 speed manual. But I like the redesign overall, although not the biggest fan of the "P O R S C H E" script thats on the back of every new Porsche now.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Thread Information