Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wii U...

Wii U...

I dont get it. What is the point? How does this make gaming better?

This seems almost like a step back from the original wii.

what are your thoughts?

I think it is stupid although i will reserve final judgment for 3 years until i can ascertain whether it will actually be more than a silly gimmick.

http://kotaku.com/5809482/the-is-the...sole-the-wii-u
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Looks/SOUnds like typical Nintendo.

The harddcore gamer techies will rubbish it and their solutions outsell all the others put together

A pure hardware performance race is getting us nowhere.
    Long may Nintendo try "different"

This is the First Picture of Nintendo's New Controller on the Wii U

Not read any tech specs or gameplay options so WAY to soon to be calling yeah/nay ( unless a hardcore game hardware tech clock rates is best geek )
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 06-07-2011 at 01:17 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Idiocy.
    I've lost my faith in Nintendo long ago, admittedly, but this is just rubbish. The original Wii was a much better concept than this.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

[ame="http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/2846/"]Viddler.com - Nintendo Wiiu - Uploaded by engadget@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.viddler.com/player/731d5323/@@AMEPARAM@@731d5323/[/ame]

Check out how they invisage it getting used and interacting in games.
    They've innovated again. Price will determine.
    At the right point I can see this as popular as the Wii !!!!

The targetting in FPS is neat and can see it's advantage over takign up wide view screen space to show a scope. THus losing the natural skill to keep one eye open to see all. That in itself coudl prove a significant feature that others will copy as they've done motion
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

It is hard to argue with nintendo's wii sales figures. I even bought one but all it does is collect dust anymore. I cant say the same for my 360 which still gets regular play.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Here the Wii gets used for parties and when we want fun nights to chill.
    The XBox gets used when a new game comes out.
    eg been heavily played with for a week with Lego Pirates and now will go back into dark-mode
    But the PC is for the serious stuff.

It sort of all depends on the price. The dual-shock controller is very expensive for the PS3, so if this can be priced similarly, it serves as a decent alternative to the controller. It's a damn lot more advanced than a DS3.
    It seems likely that it will be more expensive though, which makes it a very expensive and not very useful (or necessary) add-on, which few will purchase.
    All about the t-tops

I want it....but it looks expensive....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I think TVR the flaw is applying SOny return on investment models to Nintendo
    Nintendo are about volume of medium spec tech, which is a much lower cost position.

Compare current gen motion controllers ? Here the Sony is about 30% more expensive than the Wii one in the stores. yet doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise they are not a lot different beyond the LOGO

So I'd not assume more expensive !
    The DS3 has a games infrastructure to fund on it's own so will by necessity carry a higher profit margin. IF they are sharing tech in the new device then the develkopment costs are in the main recovered already so again lowers the price a LOT.

I suggest waiting to see. Nintendo know the price points of their customer base and have proven track record of pitching things at the right place to get the volume and profit - with a few exceptions

EDIT: as a comparison, look how you can now get an Android tablet for less than $90 ! With a closed environemtn and games cross funding that a $60-75 range is perfectly feasible. AND woudl be profitable.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 06-07-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING View Post
    It sort of all depends on the price. The dual-shock controller is very expensive for the PS3, so if this can be priced similarly, it serves as a decent alternative to the controller. It's a damn lot more advanced than a DS3.
    It seems likely that it will be more expensive though, which makes it a very expensive and not very useful (or necessary) add-on, which few will purchase.

If you add up all the accessories for the Wii such as the balance board, the Wii Motion Plus modules, the 3 nunchucks and 3 other Wii remotes for use during parties, honestly, the price difference is negligible.

My Wii is never used, it's in storage upstairs. I'm not buying into it even if they release Zelda on it, I'm through with Nintendo. The only other product I use semi-regularly is my DSi, and that's because it's been, um, modified.

Not interested.

Performance-wise, this will be about PS3/Xbox360 or a little higher, which hopefully means they'll at least get all the multi-platform titles on there. I'm curious to see what they can do with the tech, hopefully the third parties will be able to make some money off this one and therefore do some interesting things with it. I'll reserve final judgement until it's been released, but I wouldn't write this off yet. First reports from people that actually played with it at E3 are pretty positive. I get the feeling all your dust-collecting Wii peripherals will be compatible with this one too, so that's something. I'd say most local multi-player games will be designed around only one of the fancy controllers and a few Wii remotes/nunchucks, else it'd be too expensive to have them all.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    If you add up all the accessories for the Wii such as the balance board, the Wii Motion Plus modules, the 3 nunchucks and 3 other Wii remotes for use during parties, honestly, the price difference is negligible
    Unless of course you try to add similar capabilities to your PS3/Xbox
    4 PS3 motion controllers and you could have bought another PS3 for the price !!

I think that's a red herring.

The key thing will be the price point of a usable configuration. Not a marketing BS "entry price" to fool the idiots

Pimento, if you look at the E3 vid you will see the Wii controller beign used to swing the club while the U controller provides the position of the ball So backward compatible seems to be on the cards - again somethign Sony screwed up imho.

Backwards compatibility is confirmed, both games and permipheries. And here's Miyamoto on reconnecting with the hardcore gamer. And here's some studios pledging support. Given EA rather unintellegently decided not to bother with the Wii initially and suffered for it, it's nice to see them jumping right in this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Unless of course you try to add similar capabilities to your PS3/Xbox
    4 PS3 motion controllers and you could have bought another PS3 for the price !!

I think that's a red herring.

The key thing will be the price point of a usable configuration. Not a marketing BS "entry price" to fool the idiots

Pimento, if you look at the E3 vid you will see the Wii controller beign used to swing the club while the U controller provides the position of the ball So backward compatible seems to be on the cards - again somethign Sony screwed up imho.
    I don't think there are all that many PS3 games that can have 4 players at the same time though.

It might be more though if you add in Playstation Move, but I'm not interested in that, so that doesn't matter to me. I only need 2 controllers, so my costs indeed are significantly less.

It's all but confirmed that you will only ever need one fancy new controller.. a Nintendo rep suggested that they'll probably not be for sale outside of the full system.

Thread Information