Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you rather have a Hot Rod or a Tuner?

Would you rather have a Hot Rod or a Tuner?

Would you rather have a hot rod or a tuner?

This may sound like a stark comparison, but my friend and I got into this discussion. hes a tuner guy, I'm a hot rod guy. Which style do you favor better? What about performance and drivability?

Well, I'm a hot rod guy. With hot rods, you get the sexy sheet emtal (and unfortunately, a lot of fiberglass nowadays > ), the radical paint, the powerful engines, cool carbs, throaty exhaust, and infinite customization. A hot rod can defeat anything on the strip if you build it to, and you can even buy kits that can actually handle as well. It may not have advanced chassis development, but the set up can still handle (Factory Five RAcing has a 33 Ford hot rod kit out with a tubular steel chassis that can handle any engine you want, and takes fully adjustable coil over suspension).

IMO, I think Tuners are trash. With tiny 4 pots that require 30K$ just to get 300HP. hahaha. Not to mention they sound like shit, and 90% of the time, look like shit (though I have seen some "nice" or "well done" ones before). Not to mention That I think the styling is just gross. God, I hate those damn 22IN rims and rubber band tires. God its disgraceful.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

I'd prefer a muscle car to either. Not that i dont like tuners, but the simplicity of the older cars make them more attractive to work on.

Who says tuners are all 4cyl anyway
    I am the Stig

i like to be fast everywhere, so tuner for me
    hot rods are okay for cruising and hard parking, but then imports do all that as well
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I personally would have a Tuner. But that's just purely my opinion.

I'm never a big fan of Hot Rods, so choice was easy for me.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Want to rage at how narrow minded your view of the import scene is.

I know your just generalising based on your oppinion but f*ck. Seriously?

Both "scenes" have their own benifits (Sounds of a V8 = yum) but I'll take an import and that 30K you mentioned before I step into a hot rod.

It's your mis-conceptions of the import scene that are spoiling it for you.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I'd go for tuner without hesitation. Thats not to say I don't like hotrods. They just suck when you have to live with them on a daily basis. I can appreciate the big engines, the deafening noise, and the smell of burnt rubber. Its just that they are too purposeful in that regard. They do what they were built to do very well, but lack in most other aspects of daily life. You can track a tuner on the weekend, and use it to get from A - B in relative comfort throughout the rest of the week, while in many cases getting fairly decent fuel mileage at the same time. The same can't really be said for hot rods, although some are more tame than others.

Gearheads arguing about this crap is silly. ... tuners and hotrodders do the same thing, it's a pointless comparison. Plenty of tuner cars are useless for daily diving, and there are stellar traditional rods capable of grocery runs as well as track time. It all depends on the skill and vision of the builder, regardless of what the basis of the project was originally. Aside from aesthetic choices, which of these two Viper powered cars is the "hotrod" and which is the "tuner" car?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

hey is that a real viper engine in the acura or is the a photo shop

Of course it's 'shopped. That's the point... reaction to it is the same as if it were real. A reaction is part of what rod and tuner builders want, sometimes to the extreme. But plain looking old cars with modern underpinnings are a construct of both schools of thought.
    Real car enthusiasts should be able to appreciate them all for what they are: driveable personal expressions.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

muscle cars for me. more specifically, '69 camaro's, monaro's, mustang's and falcon's. i'd give my torso for a mint condition pearl black '69 camaro fitted with something tasty from nelson race engines. 2500hp camaro? yes please!

I like cars...

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I like cars...
    Me too! We should totally hang out.

edit: I'd take tuners, the class is just more versatile.

Perhaps you two can hang out on a car forum online or something!
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    Want to rage at how narrow minded your view of the import scene is.

I know your just generalising based on your oppinion but f*ck. Seriously?

Both "scenes" have their own benifits (Sounds of a V8 = yum) but I'll take an import and that 30K you mentioned before I step into a hot rod.

It's your mis-conceptions of the import scene that are spoiling it for you.
    These "misconceptions" are not unfounded in truth. With all the computer chips, turbos, and specialized parts needed to get serious power, out of a 4 pot as per my OP, requires serious money. While to get serious power out of even a fairly common Chevy small block requires a fraction of the money.
    I could go in my garage right now, and take a 300HP chevy small block and bolt on a supercharger and a triple deuce carburetor set up and have 450HP for less than 3-5000 Dollars. While a 300HP chip costs the same for a 4 cylinder.

And you're just like the pot calling the kettle black.

Believe me when I say it, their are SOME impressive tuners out their, that dominate on the tracks, and sometimes the street. But you can't build a proper tuner on a shoestring budget like you could a hot rod.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

I've seen some hi-tech hot rods that go fast and handle that I'd take over any tuner.

Thread Information