Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RX7 VW Beetle engine swap

RX7 VW Beetle engine swap

would a 4 cyl RX7 engine bolt up to the trans axle of my bug with out any problems aside from the cooling and the computer? If so what year RX7 would i need to remove the engine and computer to install it into a 1962 VW beetle?

any good info would be grately appricated

i don't think the RX-7 comes with a 4 cylinder engine, it comes with a rotary engine.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

1. RX7 has a rotary Engine

2. It will most certainly not bolt up

3. Any year RX-7 Engine will do, but nothing will be easy. Anything can be done with thousands and thousands of dollars worth of custom work, which is what you would need.

4. If you'd like more power for your Beetle, there are quite a few Flat-4 buildups you can do for a lot less money. Or if you really want to get creative, an older Porsche 911 engine.

I don't think you should swap any engines if you don't even know what kind of an engine an Rx-7 has.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    I don't think you should swap any engines if you don't even know what kind of an engine an Rx-7 has.
    OWN3D!
    The Datto will rage again...

Yeah......maybe you should research this a bit more, buggin, before you go and decide what you would like to have.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

LoL OWNAGEEEEEEEE nice one rockefella!..... sell the V dub and buy a descent car ..... ewwww dub

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by KeRmIt
    LoL OWNAGEEEEEEEE nice one rockefella!..... sell the V dub and buy a descent car ..... ewwww dub
    I like some of them, dune buggies can be friggin sweet. Karmann Ghias and Type 3's can be awesome as well. There's a few other models I like, I forget their names though. I think someday I'll have a Karmann Ghia for a daily driver and errand beater car.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Easiest swap is 911 gear, proper lay-out already. If you do it, make sure you put some weights in the front to hold it down.

Quote Originally Posted by 63' buggin
    would a 4 cyl RX7 engine bolt up to the trans axle of my bug with out any problems aside from the cooling and the computer? If so what year RX7 would i need to remove the engine and computer to install it into a 1962 VW beetle?

LOLZ, FOUR CYLINDER RX-7 ENGINE? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!

the 13b out of the RX-7 has been succesfully been bolted up to superbug and bus transaxles with the apropriate bell housing. you'll have to fabricate custom motor mounts and possible sheet metal massagin to get it to fit in the bugs engine bay, you might be able to use a 13b test/race pipe with custom muffler if you plan to run it N/A.
    13b's are popular motors to use as replacements for VW flat 4's in sandrails on the sand sports capitopl fo the world(sunny southern california) and rotaries are perfact for lightweight sandrails as it has very little weight to move(just a tube chassis and your ass to push around) and their high power-weight allows you to just keep your speed up over the dunes instead of trying to power your way up as you would with a less revv'y more torquey engine(such as the guys rolling around with 1100hp+ LS1 sandrails.

it would be a neat swap. but personally i wouldnt do it. a nice 911 swap seems fun however

12a rotary mated to a bus transaxle going in a sandrail.
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Quote Originally Posted by 63' buggin

wow. Why join a car site when you know f*** all about them?
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

Corvair motors are a relatively simple swap. My dad's friend in Wyoming had one, and before he put the body back on it, it'd pop wheelies in his driveway.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    it'd pop wheelies in his driveway.
    lol nice wheelies would be fun on a driveway...............but just think about the HIGHWAY!
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella

ouch!

made it myself

Thread Information