Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Handling car

Best Handling car

hey every one. Im an ametuer in this whole car thing but diffinitly interested.

What production car has the best road holding capabilities? How is this tested?

Ive been researching and these are just some sugestions.

Lotus Elise

Ferrari F-430

Quote Originally Posted by car_fan17
    hey every one. Im an ametuer in this whole car thing but diffinitly interested.

What production car has the best road holding capabilities? How is this tested?

Ive been researching and these are just some sugestions.

Lotus Elise

Ferrari F-430
    Well it totally depends on the driver, track, weather, etc. etc. etc., but modern supercars are going to be on top, not the 430 or Elise.
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

Ultima GTR holds the record for largest g-force held on a skidpan. And I wouldn't really say that the big supercars handle the best. Theyre big and have alot of power ... doesn't really sound like they have much finesse to me.

If this counts, the Yamaha OX119 was apparently so fast around corners it hurt However, that didn't reach production but almost did.

"Best Handling Car" is too wide ranging a category to give a definitive answer. Aside from the fact that essentially it all boils down to subjective personal opinion, there are many parameters to consider. In terms of 'road holding capabilities', in the crudest terms that usually comes down to a matter of outright grip. Cars that are lightened, low CoG, firm suspension and with sticky tyres will generally be able to produce higher cornering forces. However, there is also the matter of chassis 'balance' (ie the cars propensity to under/over- steer). How easily exploitable a car's handling is, and how enjoyable a car is to drive, will largely depend on this 'balance', which can be affected by any number of different facets of the set-up.

Also there is the matter of the ride quality. The things outlined above are important things in setting up a car for ultimate performance, like in a track situation. In terms of actual 'road' holding as opposed to the 'track' holding things become more complicated. A lightened, lowered, stiffened car with sticky, low-profile track-oriented tyres (eg Porsche 911GT3RS, Ferrari 360CS) will perform outstandingly on a track. On a slippery, leaf strewn, rutted, bumpy country road these cars will become considerably less enjoyable. You'd want something with a little more compliancy in the suspension, and tyres better suited to wet-weather.

Finding this compromise between ultimate performance and usability/exploitability is the real 'black art' of setting up a well sorted sportscar. The examples you've given are very good examples. Lotus is notorious for having a remarkable level of compliancy in it's suspension without sacrificing grip and balance. This is largely done through very lightweight construction methods. The F430 is perhaps the best example of a truly 21st century high technology sportscar. The active suspension allows you to alter the settings between compliancy for the everyday road, and stiffness for the track. This kind of technology will probably end up being the future for the vast majority of sportscars because of the versatility and practicality.

uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    A lot of people say that the Toyota AE86 handles really good.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

my idea of good handling would probably be somehwhere near the insane and with horrible ride quality, so i dont feel im best to judge
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Welcome to ucp Car fan. It really depends how you define best handling car. Typically I would say cars that are lightweight, have a pretty stiff suspension, have a near perfect 50/50 weight distribution and have extremely sticky tires, are going to be the cars which are best at handling.

ariel atom?

The Caterham Seven

Ariel Atom, Caterham Seven, a bunch of Lotii, Honda S2000, Mazda MX-5, etc. etc.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    If this counts, the Yamaha OX119 was apparently so fast around corners it hurt However, that didn't reach production but almost did.
    I thought it was available by request, but no-one bought one? Not the most reliable source though.

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Lotus 340R? Aston Martin V8 Vantage? Honda NSX-R?
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

i find this hard to answer, a car that is loose and nervous to me might feel responsive and light to someone else, it really depends on what you're looking for.

I'm biased, but many experts still agree, the original Lotus Elan.

Classic Car mag did a review (last year I think - maybe the year before) of nearly all the Lotus family. They still awarded top marks to the '60s Elan for handling but said the Elise ran it really close and represented a real return to form for Lotus.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -
    http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/

I would nominate the Porsche Bosxter S as the ultimate handler (that you can drive every day). In a recent EVO test it was faster than the Porsche 911 S, also, the "rookie" tester said it inspired more confidence so it was easier to achieve those times.

Thread Information