Thread: What if Corvettes and Vipers were made with a handbuilt round-tube spaceframe?

What if Corvettes and Vipers were made with a handbuilt round-tube spaceframe?

Instead of their mass produced semi ladder chassis?
    Would they match Ferrari/Lambos performance?

Please crack a chassis engineering book if you can comprehend the subject and stop posting inane questions.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

They already match the performance of Italy's best. From what I've seen/read, modern technology and advancements in automotive engineering have pretty much eliminated the need for round-tube spaceframes, especially in road cars.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

What if, what if. What if you didn't start this thread about what if.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

To answer the question, neither the Corvette or viper come with ladder frame chassis'. Both use a combination aluminum monocoque and a very basic space frame. A round tube spaceframe would negate the appeal of the cars that is the US market: it would make them much too expensive.

Post your what ifs in the technical question thread, please.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Kudos csl177 and brochureman. I couldn't agree more !

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    They already match the performance of Italy's best. From what I've seen/read, modern technology and advancements in automotive engineering have pretty much eliminated the need for round-tube spaceframes, especially in road cars.
    what technologies have made spaceframes obsolete? what is the future of chassis engineering (as in what is the next frontier)?
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling View Post
    what technologies have made spaceframes obsolete? what is the future of chassis engineering (as in what is the next frontier)?
    Let me clarify - I didn't mean that spaceframes were obsolete. I just meant round-tubed ones as it's not exactly practical to mass produce them.

If people more knowledgeable than me are offended, I will admit I may have misspoken. I was briefly living in the 1960s and thinking about sportcars of the era and also thought about modern formula cars and their monocoques.

A part of me does wonder though, what will happen to the supposed "modular" chassis? I'm not talking about platform sharing, but rather the GM "skateboard" platform or Lotus' similar concept with their concept MPV from several years ago.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

The modular thing might get a renewed push when fuel cells and whatnot become more common, as it'll be much easier to do when everything is controlled by wire and the propulsion is all electrical. When manufacturers can just produce different modules for different purposes and have them all interlink as required, the economies of scale will make more sense.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    What if, what if. What if you didn't start this thread about what if.
    I don't get it.
    What is the obsession with keeping posts count extremely low?
    What would be the atractiveness of a forum where the last post was made months ago?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Attached Images Attached Images
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

And here too! Brilliant!

Well, look on the bright side - at least he's not making bizarre threads about random obscure race car drivers that may or may not have offensive content!

Quote Originally Posted by Big time View Post
    I don't get it.
    What is the obsession with keeping posts count extremely low?
    What would be the atractiveness of a forum where the last post was made months ago?
    I'm not saying that. But making a post about something a car manufacture hasn't done and should is stupid.

There are lot of members on this forum with high post count yet they do that by contributing to other threads not starting What ifs.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Thread Information