Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Eclipse 1998 RS, 2.0 Liter DOHC Problems*

Mitsubishi Eclipse 1998 RS, 2.0 Liter DOHC Problems*

Well I got the car for about 5K almost driven 70,000Miles, ALMOST. When I first got the car, it had the most incredible burst of speed I had seen in a car would literally hit 60 in 5 seconds....not really sure, but when you would hit the gas your head would bop back if you know what I mean.

So I decided to hook the car up, BUT sadly I seemed to start havin problems.

I noticed that the cars pickup had started to deteriorate, it would lack in response time, and seem to be losing it's burst.
    So after a mechanic looked at it real quick he showed me that their was oil leaking in through the spark plugs so it was disrupting the cars pickup.

SOOO he said that the Valved Cover Gasket was broken.

Bought the part got it fixed, went back to how it was for about 20 minutes and then became crap again, actually it became even worse. Went back to the mechanic and he sais that the Valved Cover Gasket which I had previously bought had broken again and this time the Valved Gasket was also broken.

No biggie, he'll fix it. After 5 hours got my car back and my baby was purring.

After a week of drivin it I suddenly felt the cars seed die down real quick, I can tell. I also noticed that after hitting 60 the car would not switch gears, it would just stay in that gear you guys know what Im talkin about right, it's either the 4th or 5th gear it's stuck in, no biggie.

Suddenly today my car wasn't even pickin up faster than this busted up Van and I was punchin the gas pretty hard.
    No biggie, maybe Im punchin it too hard. Decided to punch it slow and it became even slower.

You guys with me so far.
    I thought maybe it's the transmission and the mechanic says "Oh it's running fine to me"......"Maybe its something else besides the transmission"....."My friend Bill across the street is a pretty good mechanic....try asking him"....

I go across the street to Bill and he drives my car and look me dead in the eye and says..."Oh theres nothing wrong with the car it's just you"....So I told him that you think Im just imagining that MY car that I freakin drive everyday is not the problem...it's me...and he looks me in the eyes and says "Yes" so I told him to get the hell out.

As Im drivin, I also start noticing that the engine used to make alot of noise but a little bit of music would cover that up....and NOW the engine noise has gotten even louder....?

I have no idea as to what the hell is going on with my car, cuz the dum ass mechanics don't know either.

So posting this so maybe someone can provide some help.

The Transmission fluid is good and so is the motor oil.

ANy help would be really appreciated.

oh, boy, when you said you wanted to hook it up, how exactly did you "hook it up"
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

that might have something to do with it
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I guess I should've been clear, BUT I WAS planning to hook the car up by getting a set of Kumho tires, some nice, rims, getting a little body work done you know what I mean, a cd player system, maybe getting new seats etc, and an Intake system....but they way these problems keep coming up..I don't think I'll ever get to that.

i still don't get half the stuff you typed there, it also seems to be manual..but then ya say it stays in 1 gear like if ya don't shift.(it could be that overdrive is turned off, in automatics).

btw, the eclipse kinda likes to leak oil after ~65-70k, specially valve cover and transmission.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Quote Originally Posted by DivXerouS
    I guess I should've been clear, BUT I WAS planning to hook the car up by getting a set of Kumho tires, some nice, rims, getting a little body work done you know what I mean, a cd player system, maybe getting new seats etc, and an Intake system....but they way these problems keep coming up..I don't think I'll ever get to that.
    o ok, i thought you already got around to "hookin it up" give a pm to matra or megotmea, they're ur best bet.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Oh that's gr8 you guys don't understand anything I wrote, it's an automatic.

Forget it.

Oh that's gr8 you guys don't understand anything I wrote, it's an automatic.

Forget it.
    Sorry man, you're story was hard to understand. If you outlined your problems in a better way you might be able to get some help.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

type like you're writing to your mum mate, that way youll have to be perefctly clear on everything and then we'll be able to offer you some better help. If your gasket keeps going then something is over pressurised or revving to high, i split gaskets frequently from revving the engine out too much, its only a 30 dollar fit job so i dont generally care but yours sounds like there something deeper going on, take it to an actual mitsubishi dealership mechanic shop, if they cant fix it then ill bet no one can...
    The Datto will rage again...

I already got the gasket fixed, but evertime I get done drivin my car, smoke seems to be coming out from the corner area of the engine, the left side...I guess I;ll try another mechanic....Yes I do like to drive fast and accelerate quick...but since the car is built to race, I doubt my little acceleartion would destroy the engine..

I already got the gasket fixed, but evertime I get done drivin my car, smoke seems to be coming out from the corner area of the engine, the left side...I guess I;ll try another mechanic....Yes I do like to drive fast and accelerate quick...but since the car is built to race, I doubt my little acceleartion would destroy the engine..
    Yeah, you should really take it to a Mitsu dealership, that would be your best bet. I wouldnt exactly say the car was "built to race", its the non-turbo FWD model, it would be a little different if it were the GSX...

Yeaa your right, but my main concern is that beautiful Jump I had when I got the car seems to be deteriorating, and that is scareing me. But I will take your advice and find a bishi dealership.

yep, if its the 420a(the engine that comes in the RS and GS, non-turbo) it ain't a race engine.

if its the 4g63, the gs-t or GSX, then it is a race inspired engine.
    take it to the dealer or another shop.
    meh, yer prolly havin same prob as i, my car shakes/vibrates when am pressin the break at 40+mph because of crappy ass tires/disk brakes, it is also slower(thats cause of the automatic tranny), and it has smoke(white) comin out of the front tires.....and it also has white smoke comin out of the exhaust,lol.

i know mine has a bad headgasket, a bad tranny gasket(gotta refill tranny fluid after so many miles......not the usual 60k mile oil change), it also has bad valve cover gasket, the transmission is prolly dead if i go another 20k miles. but it still runs, and i can pull good after 60mph.
    (the car rite now has 86k miles, and i beat the....CRAP......out of it.)

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

YOOOOO I have the exact same thing as you. Shakin and all....I actually went to the dealership and asked em and all, and the bastard salesman really pissed me off...he said of it's gonna be 75$ for the check up...WTF 75$...and then he laughs and says you know plus tax so it'll come out to 85$...at that point I just got pissed off cuz they were chagin soo fukin much...BUT Im plannin to sell the car and maybe get a better one. I really really love this car, the shape and everything, but sellin it for about 6K, maybe add 2 more K and get another good fast car.

I was thinking about getting an Acura, not an Integra, but maybe a GSX or something like that...you guys wanna recommend some good hot and fast cars I can probably get for maybe 8K....

Maybe Nissan, Toyota, Acura, Honda (No Civics or Accords please)

Anyone of those companys.

lol, if ya got 8k, a good fast car would be....the 240sx! if you get an engine swap, otherwise a newer 97-99 eclipse GS 5sp is good, makes ~10.4-10.6 secs down the 8th mile almost stock.

Thread Information