Page 66 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of The Car

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Couple of things-

Audi- looks like they're caught cheating on other emissions as well. It does not look good for VW now, they have too much crap going on.

Porsche- the new 911 RSR is mid engined and people are throwing a fit about a mid engined Porsche race car. They've been doing that since the 917, not sure why that's a new issue now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The latter is quite an amusing development. I have not followed GT racing of late, but it seems the ultimate admission of the fundamental flaw of a rear-engine the engineers in Zuffenhausen have been working 50 years to fix.

Cummins/Chrysler have been dinged for cheating diesel too. RIP diesel?
    Good bye diesel? Let's hope so, but somehow I doubt it. At least here in Europe.

As for Porsche's new mid-engined racer, the problem for me is not that they are racing a mid-engined car (the first 356 was indeed mid-engined and Porsche has been racing mid-engined car since the 50's with the 550) or even a mid-engined 911 (the 911 GT1 was technically a mid-engined 911), but rather that Porsche is allowed to race a GT car with no connection to the road car whatsoever.

Want to race a mid-engined GT car? Fine, build one. If your GT car is rear-engined then so be it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The latter is quite an amusing development. I have not followed GT racing of late, but it seems the ultimate admission of the fundamental flaw of a rear-engine the engineers in Zuffenhausen have been working 50 years to fix.

Cummins/Chrysler have been dinged for cheating diesel too. RIP diesel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Good bye diesel? Let's hope so, but somehow I doubt it. At least here in Europe.

As for Porsche's new mid-engined racer, the problem for me is not that they are racing a mid-engined car (the first 356 was indeed mid-engined and Porsche has been racing mid-engined car since the 50's with the 550) or even a mid-engined 911 (the 911 GT1 was technically a mid-engined 911), but rather that Porsche is allowed to race a GT car with no connection to the road car whatsoever.

Want to race a mid-engined GT car? Fine, build one. If your GT car is rear-engined then so be it.
    They already have that, it's called the Cayman. If they had just called it the Cayman RSR it would have been fine.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought racing was about going fast, not about pride or heritage.

Time for Porsche to admit you can't beat the laws of physics.

Seems like VAG has a perpetual issue with breaking laws.

Oh and did Matra take his RX-8 in for the recalls yet?

Fire risk prompts Mazda RX-8 recall | LeftLaneNews

I think these recent events will put diesel on the back foot, from a regulatory perspective. When I heard France was leaning towards less friendly diesel regulations... That was writing on the wall.

They already have that, it's called the Cayman. If they had just called it the Cayman RSR it would have been fine.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought racing was about going fast, not about pride or heritage.

Time for Porsche to admit you can't beat the laws of physics.

Seems like VAG has a perpetual issue with breaking laws.
    Well then race the bloody Cayman.

Maybe it is time to retire the 911 from Porsche's line up once and for all...
    Oh and did Matra take his RX-8 in for the recalls yet?

Fire risk prompts Mazda RX-8 recall | LeftLaneNews
    I told you they burnt a lot of oil and petrol!
    I think these recent events will put diesel on the back foot, from a regulatory perspective. When I heard France was leaning towards less friendly diesel regulations... That was writing on the wall.
    I read today that Spain may increase fuel prices to make up for the budget deficit. Especially now that they will have to increase the defence budget.

So I don't think diesel is dead. Yet.
    Visca Catalunya!

Well then race the bloody Cayman.

Maybe it is time to retire the 911 from Porsche's line up once and for all...

I told you they burnt a lot of oil and petrol!
    Haha, time to bring back the 928 as well.

I told Matra about the RX-8, he hasn't acted on the recall yet.

What sorcery is this?

Toyota loses top-selling automaker crown in 2016

I will admit VW is very popular in China, but Chinese people have odd taste in cars. They love Buick, which I for one have no idea why anyone would want.

Jaguar has $3.75 million worth of engines stolen from them.

Joke's on the burglars though, Jaguar installed Lucas Electronics in them.

$3.75 Million in Engines Was Stolen From a Jaguar Land Rover Factory...in 6 Minutes

For those folks left feeling malnourished by Aaron Severson's diminishing output on his extraordinary Ate Up With Motor, here is an AUWMesque article about transatlantic movement of automotive styling, not necessarily in his style but in subject matter:

Part I
    Part II
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Wow, what a crappy thing for Ferrari to do and bat a blind eye to. I hope the get sued to oblivion for this.

Who the hell wants a garage queen that can spontaneously combust.

Former Ferrari salesman alleges odometer rollbacks

Lawsuit claims Ferrari has an odometer rollback device - LeftLaneNews

The Whole World Of Ferrari Service Is Freaking Out Right Now

It's one thing for the dealer to be shady and do this, but it's another for the factory to not care about.

High end super cars suck the living joy out of me for some odd reason, and I want no part of this.

Just rented a Giulia this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visca Catalunya!

... And?

It redefines what you think is possible from sports saloons in terms of handling.

Makes the XE feel a bit wooden. And never mind the 3 Series.
    Visca Catalunya!

I know hardcore Alfisti sneer at such base qualities as reliability, but I really hope, for their own sake, the line workers in Cassinone have calibrated their torque wrenches and forgone their second cup of morning espresso.

I think Quadrifoglio owner might put up with the... idiosyncrasies of Alfa Romeo stewardship, but your average MultiAir buyer here, and whatever-awful-diesel-they-offer-over-there buyer, is loath to put up with all that character.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

In terms of long term reliability only time will tell. I will have it only this weekend so it is kind of difficult to assess. I think that anyway Alfa Romeo unreliability is nowadays more myth than truth.

As a tool though, it is a car that just feels normal. All the controls are where they are supposed to be and do what they are supposed to do. Ok, so fit and finish isn't maybe up to German standards, some of the materials (especially the ones that are not directly in front of you) could be improved and there's latest generation equipment which isn't available (like full LED headlamps or digital dashboard). Oh and it is not as refined or as a quite as some of the other alternatives in the market.

And then there are those little details which make your life easier and more comfortable in day to day driving, like a hold feature when you are stopped at a set of lights, automatic disengagement of the parking brake and so on and so forth, that Alfa Romeo still hasn't figured out how to introduce to their cars. But in essence no regular premium car driver would be shocked by the Alfa idiosincracies... because there aren't any.

It is the same that happens with the Jag and I don't see anyone saying, uh good effort, but I'm sure it is going to fail because... Lucas Electrics...! LUCAS ELECTRICS I SAY!!11!!1!eleven!!!!

Nevermind getting behind the wheel of it. It is a good cruiser, fast, economical and comfortable. The 180bhp diesel engine pulls strongly and the ZF 8 speed automatic works very well (unlike previous Alfa Romeo automatics...). I would also like to single out the ride which is very good (standard suspension and 17 inch wheels). The steering is very fast so it takes a little bit getting used to, in the beggining you just find yourself making little corrections in corners, but it is precise.

Last but not least there is the Giulia's party piece. Find yourself a good stretch of mountain road, put the car into dynamic mode, gearbox in manual mode and go for a drive.

And the result is amazing.

Neverming the QV, mine is a normal diesel with an auto. Well, the car comes completely alive in those conditions. For a start, the steering which takes some time getting accostumed to becomes telepathic. The way the car changes direction is uncanny, nevermind for a sports saloon even for a sportscar. It is almost impossible to make the car understeer and then you can exit the corners in the accepted dab of oppo manner. The ride remains composed but there's not much body roll. Even the massive flappy paddles which may interfere with putting the indicators on and whatnot feel brilliant here. Oh and the brakes, which are difficult to modulate in normal driving, are very good in the twisties (only bad point is the bloody hazards which trigger very often under heavy braking).

I think that what suprised me most of all is the combination of precision and progression. Up until now all of the cars that I have driven were either one thing or the other. The Alfa manages to be both and the transition, the way it flows from grip to no-grip is very reassuring while at the same time feeling precise in high speed cornering with barely no floating sensation at all.

In conclusion, it is the new benchmark. If you like driving, look no further. And if you don't, give it a try. It will surprise you.
    Visca Catalunya!

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Seems like cars are marching towards being appliances. Electric power steering, those idiotic iPad screens, the agonizing death of stick, the varying degrees of autonomous driving functions.

Will enthusiasts become akin to what horse owners are today, a quaint niche group of hobbyists?
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Thread Information