Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you like cars?

Why do you like cars?

Ok, someone asked me that today, and it got me thinking. What exactly do people see in cars? I then logged onto UCP and decided it would be a good discussion.

What do you see in cars that makes you like them? The design, the speed, the technological/engineering aspects? What attracts you the most? I am not talking about any car in specific, just what about cars really makes you like them, whether it is one car or a whole countrie's products.

For me, I find it an art, designing a car to for example, fit engine x, y number of seats, and etc. Engineering the design so that it fits all it's goals. For example, a car whose body is designed to fit a specific engine (big or small) and fit around it and be aerodynamic but also catch your eye in a good way. Also for the other way around, for example a car only has enough room for engine X, so you have to build an engine that will fit into that space and provide the car as much power as possible.

This is mostly why most of my attention for cars goes to things that are built like that, instead of things like a Hummer H2 which was designed to fit the maximum size possible, which I find boring.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

I like how they look, I like how they sound, I like thier speed. That's like asking someone why you like chocolate, or why your favorite color is red. Your answer would be, "because it tastes good" or "because it looks cool". If you tried to ask someone why something looks good they wouldn't be able to describe why (usally. It just is. I can't describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by carlover
    I like how they look, I like how they sound, I like thier speed. That's like asking someone why you like chocolate, or why your favorite color is red. It just is. We can't describe it...
    I understand what you mean, but what attracts you the most? What part of your favorite cars do you find youself thinking about the most?

Also, I forgot about sound, thats definitly something important.

Ill never know, its just good genes i guess. My moms dad was a total car guy, he lived around here and ran his own auto shop, tons of kick ass muscle cars... I wish he were still alive so i could just talk to him about this type of stuff, unfortunantly he died when i was about two.

Point being there was no one mind shifting point in life where i became obsessed, i just have been ever sence i saw my first Hot Wheels .
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    I understand what you mean, but what attracts you the most? What part of your favorite cars do you find youself thinking about the most?

Also, I forgot about sound, thats definitly something important.
    Mainly the exterior looks of the car, I like how the curves flow along the body of an S7, or the sharp jagged edges protrude from an Enzo. But performance is also appormatant. Last of all, the engine note should be music to all car fanatic's ears.

Oh, and if a car has a nice interior, all the better.

the sound....the speed......working with oil(i mean building/rebuilding engines and adding hp), oh and like racing.....preferably drag(legally) and road racing(i'd so love to go at least once to laguna seca and drive that corvette C5R, or the saleen S7R, or even my 240sx).
    Last edited by TheOne; 03-10-2005 at 07:34 PM.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

When you grow up about 30 miles from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, it's in your blood from the beginning. My first race was when I was 3 years old and I've been hooked on racing and performance cars ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat77
    When you grow up about 30 miles from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, it's in your blood from the beginning. My first race was when I was 3 years old and I've been hooked on racing and performance cars ever since.
    Lucky, there are like none where I live.

When I was little I was hooked on the Japanese cartoon "Speed Racer", I thought the MAch 5 was the coolest. Ever since then, cars have been a very important part of my life. Like others have said, I love the look, sound and so forth. But what I love the most is the feeling of being behind the wheel. The feel of the car when you accelerate, brake, turn. It's hard to discribe, but you're all car people, you know what I mean
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    When I was little I was hooked on the Japanese cartoon "Speed Racer", I thought the MAch 5 was the coolest. Ever since then, cars have been a very important part of my life. Like others have said, I love the look, sound and so forth. But what I love the most is the feeling of being behind the wheel. The feel of the car when you accelerate, brake, turn. It's hard to discribe, but you're all car people, you know what I mean
    The G's pulling at you as you swing the car around? Once I personally take a performance-oriented car around a track, I will respond to that fully (I am hoping it is this Dodge Viper GTS this guy kind of close rents out, not sure about the track though but if I keep my grades up my parents will pay )

My dad has been collecting and selling car parts for all my life, I got kinda wrapped up into that, and now I'm restoring and fixing the cars up. I like the engineering aspect of it, metal working( just the thought of shaping stuff stronger than yourself and welding stuff like is really cool to me), being able to know and do stuff that most other people don't is pretty cool too.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

When I was 5, my dad had a blue 1976 Chevy Monte Carlo with a 350 high output motor, bench seats, and a white vinyl top. It made some of the coolest sounds. We'd go cruising on the weekend. That got me started. Going to muscle car shows and stock car races at Pocono got me hooked. The rest is history.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

no reason
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Can't really explain, but I guess the g's you feel when turning/accelerating/braking.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

i remember going to races with my dad in his porsche, then racing his other one, it was pretty cool, i got to walk around the pits and talk to people, even thought i was about 3, i wanted to learn about everything, and be just like my dad, i remember going to our lakehouse in his m5 doing about 120 just cruising listening to jimmy buffett, and i wish i could get those times back

to me, porsche and cars are on a more spiritual level and i have a connection with them, its not merely a way to get from a to b, its something i can't even describe, but everytime i see a porsche i get this feeling, that it was destined to be, and everytime i sit in one, i feel like i should be driving away in it

the feeling you get when you perfectly kiss the apex, and exit just right, and you'll know when you've done it right, the feeling the car gives you as you do it, it rewards you for your efforts, i live for those moments

when i caress the smooth leather of the 996 turbo S seats, i get this feeling, like its calling me to drive it, to push it to its limits, to put it to use doing what it was made, bred, born to do, to let the zuffenhausen machine shine in its natural backdrop, its natural surroundings

when i see a dropdead gorgeous car, and these arent just any cars, they usually have beautiful curves and lines, perfectly placed to make it look just perfect

some day i'll recreate these times with my son, and feel the wind in our hair on a perfect sunset cruising along the highways of memoryville
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Thread Information