Thread: American cars right hand drive conversion?

American cars right hand drive conversion?

Is it possible to place a custom order to get cars like the Corvette, Viper, 2005 Mustang etc. in right-hand drive so you can import it to Australia for example? If so, how much extra would this cost? If you can't, how would you go about getting a conversion and how much would THIS cost? Of course, you could just use a left-hand drive car in Australia but that might be dangerous and I think you need special 'warning' stickers and whatnot. I've never really investigated conversions so hopefully around here knows more than me!

there is a dodge viper around brisbane that the owner converted to rhd himself, i think i can contact chrysler they'll be able to tell me how much it was.
    otherwise you just stick a 'warning lhd' sticker on the back of your car. i've seen it done on an old mustang. but you probably have to pass a test to drive lhd in oz

How would you go about converting it yourself? Pretty amazing that he did it by himself, because you'd need custom dash panels, steering parts, pedals, etc etc etc. The list goes on!

actually it really improved the interior

i think cost a lot, but only because it was a viper. another local guy converted a renault or something, that was pretty cheap to do

I guess the Viper's interior isn't the prettiest of things, but I still find it amazing that a guy converted it by himself and made it BETTER?

yeah, he did it all custom i think. i think its easier to qaulify for a lhd license tho.
    i'm pretty sure they are importing '05 mustangs and corvettes to the UK, are they gonna be rhd? if they are you could just divert one from the factory and ship it across

there should be a shop somewhere in australia that speialises(sp?) in converting to rhd, there's somebody in the www.svtperformance.com forums that has a 04 cobra bein changed to rhd i think.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Tickford converted 200 SVT Cobra Mustangs around 2000-2001 as well as making them ADR approved with such things as the headlight allignment but i doubt they'll do the new model at how much the old ones cost and how slowly they sold. Chrysler Australia also imported 25 old Vipers and got a Victorian joint called ViPerformance to convert them and that fixed some issues with the interior, and they were trying to get a deal to bring new cars in on an order by order basis. So if you had a Viper, they'd be one of the best in the country at converting them considering they got a factory deal. As for Vette's and Mustang's, i dont really know any names that would be able to do it
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fa22_raptor
    I guess the Viper's interior isn't the prettiest of things, but I still find it amazing that a guy converted it by himself and made it BETTER?
    Check out what kit car guys do ALL the time.
    I've seen soem finished WAY better than any Jag/BMW/MB !
    Mind you I've also seen some real dogs
    Custom guys do it all the time too.

For a while it was real hard to do right hand drive conversions on modern cars because the space is so tight you can't get everything in. Made a lot easier now with the electric power steer and air con available.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by fa22_raptor
    Is it possible to place a custom order to get cars like the Corvette, Viper, 2005 Mustang etc. in right-hand drive so you can import it to Australia for example? If so, how much extra would this cost? If you can't, how would you go about getting a conversion and how much would THIS cost? Of course, you could just use a left-hand drive car in Australia but that might be dangerous and I think you need special 'warning' stickers and whatnot. I've never really investigated conversions so hopefully around here knows more than me!
    if you order a new dash and center columns, its quite easy, they just flip over the steering column, put on the new rhd dash and center box, and voila, ive seen it done like that
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

The ease is sometimes hampered by a tight engine bay, if there's no room for the steering linkages then you're boned. Also I think the Mustangs and Vettes exported to the UK will be LHD there.

all i can say is one thing: thank god i dont have to worry about not having vipers running around my country!
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    The ease is sometimes hampered by a tight engine bay, if there's no room for the steering linkages then you're boned. Also I think the Mustangs and Vettes exported to the UK will be LHD there.
    yep their may be a vital component where you want the new steering column to go - like an exhaust
    The brakes are the most likely problem as the servo is usually part of the master cylinder. But nothings impossible and in the case of the exhaust you can get new headers made and in the case of the brakes use a competigion pedal box and remote servo.
    The advent of small compact electric power steering means the problem of the steering pump getting in the way and likewise the air-con pump. It's not so easy to move the pumps as tey need belt drive. With the new ones, just put a bigger alternator on and put them pumps anywhere you can find space. The Alpine has them behind the front lights ( rear engine car )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The Falcon's got a big problem in that they cant fit the LHD past the engine cause i think the power steering pump is in the way or something, so it'll be 2008 by the time its engineered to be LHD as well as RHD
    I am the Stig

Thread Information