Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Infiniti what BMW Used to Be?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Now, to the main subject. And the answer in my opinion is no. Mainly because their cars are completely different. Infinitis are far too big, heavy, powerful and complicated to be BMWs. They only have one engine choice and only one of their models can be had with manual gearboxes. Their smallest and lightest car is almost as big as a 5 Series and weights 1780kg. That’s more than 100kg more than an M3. And finally, they start for thousands more than the cheapest BMW. Now I’m not saying that they can’t be good sports saloons, just that they are not BMWs. They are something else.
    TBH, the G37 is 25 cm longer, 79 kg (1.535 VS 1.616) heavier and 10 kW more powerful than a 335i, while being 2.000 € cheaper. In Italy that is.
    Not a bad competitor.
    Talking about the M37, it's 45 kg lighter, 10 kW more powerful than a 535i. Same price and length. The automatic transmission is probably adding a few kilograms to the Infiniti, and I honestly believe it isn't really a problem not having a manual in this segment.

So I don't see why I shouldn't consider Infiniti as a strong competitor.

Furthermore, I disagree that BMW has to be erased completely from an enthusiast’s list. It is true that they’ve done several abortions, but so have many other car makers, and if we are honest the car industry has evolved from the olden days.
    Which is way many other car makers should be erased completely from an enthusiast's list.

It is also true that M cars are less focused than they used to be. But even so, if you want a reasonably priced, superb handling sports saloons it still is hard to beat a BMW. And anyone that isn’t convinced should drive one.
    BMW may still be good cars to drive (some of them), but that isn't enough to make them as appealing as they were about 10 years ago. And since opinions may vary quite a lot, I don't really see why one shouldn't consider other options. Even more considering that 99% of BMW buyers are not going to discover 99% of the cars' capabilities, so for many of them a Jaguar XF, an Infiniti and other cars may be better options, providing just as much pleasure of owning and driving and possibly providing also characteristics more interesting for the average owner on a daily basis. Unfortunately, the average owner also want a brand he can show off about, and Infiniti is not in that position right now, in Europe/Italy at least.

Just read the article on Cameron's link.

This man clearly doesn't understand BMWs. That pretty much invalidates everything else, in my opinion.
    Why that?
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

BTW, John le Blanc is one of the worst automotive writer working for Toronto Star....he writes pointless articles all the time...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    BTW, John le Blanc is one of the worst automotive writer working for Toronto Star....he writes pointless articles all the time...
    I haven't read any automotive journalist that writes for a newspaper that I write.

That being said, I have only really read car reviews from The Star and The Globe.

I find the reviews are just more oriented to casual, non-enthusiast car fans.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    TBH, the G37 is 25 cm longer, 79 kg (1.535 VS 1.616) heavier and 10 kW more powerful than a 335i, while being 2.000 € cheaper. In Italy that is.
    Not a bad competitor.
    Talking about the M37, it's 45 kg lighter, 10 kW more powerful than a 535i. Same price and length. The automatic transmission is probably adding a few kilograms to the Infiniti, and I honestly believe it isn't really a problem not having a manual in this segment.

So I don't see why I shouldn't consider Infiniti as a strong competitor.

BMW may still be good cars to drive (some of them), but that isn't enough to make them as appealing as they were about 10 years ago. And since opinions may vary quite a lot, I don't really see why one shouldn't consider other options. Even more considering that 99% of BMW buyers are not going to discover 99% of the cars' capabilities, so for many of them a Jaguar XF, an Infiniti and other cars may be better options, providing just as much pleasure of owning and driving and possibly providing also characteristics more interesting for the average owner on a daily basis. Unfortunately, the average owner also want a brand he can show off about, and Infiniti is not in that position right now, in Europe/Italy at least.
    Undoubtedly there are many competent sports saloons out there. And I quite like Infinitis. But especially the Jag, as most know I drive one occasionally, and it is a great sports saloon. But we are not discussing wheter there are alternatives in the market to BMW, which there are, but if Inifniti has become BMW, which it hasn't in my opinion.

There are two reasons for that. On is that Inifniti has a very small lineup. In the 20 to 40 grand segment, BMW still reigns supreme, basically because there's no alternative to be had whatsoever. Only Mercedes-Benz and Lexus have tried to enter that territory, and still are no match for BMW.

And then there are the big Bimmers. You argue, for instance, that manuals are not important in a car the size of a 5 Series, and I agree with that, there's little market for them, especially outside Europe. But, again, we are not talking about the segment, we are talking about BMW, and a 5er than can't be had with a manual just isn't a worthy Bimmer. And, I reckon this has changed as time has passed, you can still have a big Bimmer with relatively few toys (at least the 5, not sure about the 7).

So no, for me the best BMW still is a BMW.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Why that?
    Precisely, because one of BMWs strong points has always been, discreet, subtle and even arguably boring styling. Take some of BMWs all time greats, the 2002, the E9, E24, E28, E30, or the E39. Slight variations aside, they are little more than boxes on wheels. Some of them can be called handsome, but not daring, creative or different. Criticising BMW for returning to the classic subtle teutonic design is completely missing the point.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

next year it will be 50 years ago since BMW presented the 1500. Ever since all their models are basically the same. (apart from the X contraptions).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information