View Poll Results: What engine would your car use?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Petrol

15 51.72%
  • Diesel

4 13.79%
  • Rotary

1 3.45%
  • Electric

3 10.34%
  • Turbine

3 10.34%
  • Jet/Rocket

0 0%
  • Biofuel

1 3.45%
  • Other

2 6.90%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could make your own car...

I said biofuel.

Since it's the future AFAIK

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Straight six is purity.
    True dat.

Mine would be nuclear powered with tires made from the crushed bones of hippies compacted into wheels and wrapped in the skin of ecomentalists. The pure unobtanium body would be painted with their blood and the headlights would be candles flickering in their skulls. The seats would use ivory frames and be wrapped in baby seal skin, double clubbed for softness.

Edit: The nuclear power would be a nuclear generator for normal driving, nuclear rockets for extra passing power, and nuclear bombs for tailgaters.
    Last edited by wwgkd; 09-10-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: added specs
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Straight six is purity.
    Nooooo! V-8 is purity!
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    Nooooo! V-8 is purity!
    I6 is kinda more pure somehow - perfect vibrationally.

Electric for total lack of vibration, instant torque, simplicity of drivetrain, cleanliness. Efficient battery tech will be the future of personal transport, providing a wide range of performance at a fraction of the total costs of any of the other choices offered in this poll. Given the title of this thread though, the number choosing petrol ICEs is expected.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Electric for total lack of vibration, instant torque, simplicity of drivetrain, cleanliness. Efficient battery tech will be the future of personal transport, providing a wide range of performance at a fraction of the total costs of any of the other choices offered in this poll. Given the title of this thread though, the number choosing petrol ICEs is expected.
    This is what you could term somewhat arrogantly an enthusiast forum, and enthusiasts tend to prefer engines with cylinders powered by gasoline.

Plus, gasoline reciprocating engines sound great, and electric drivetrains are as yet heavy, and their range is lacking, especially in cold climates (follow up here).

The electric car will most likely have the future - for now, I'd say gasoline cars are still ruling the roost.

Not that I think your choice is stupid - I am just saying I understand why many chose the way they did.

Love the smells and sounds. Hey, if I didn't like ICEs there wouldn't be so many of 'em in the garage!
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I6 is kinda more pure somehow - perfect vibrationally.
    And there's only one way of doing better.

Having two of them.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'd take the Alfa Romeo 2uettottanta concept car body. Maybe with a hard top that folds away. Stuff a BMW 3.0 I6 biturbo in there. Make it develop some 350bhp. Link that up to a rear wheel drive layout with an LSD and one of those new Porsche 7-speed manual gearboxes (NOT the PDK) in the middle*.

Oh and I would add lightness as well. Maybe a carbon fiber body (but no exposed CF, yuck!) with a composite suspension. All the lightest materials should be used wherever possible.

It would also have active aerodynamics and all the fuel saving technologies out there. A hybrid system could be an option if it were to use lithium batteries to keep the weight/size down.

No need for 2 second 0-100 times and 400kmh top speeds. I just want a great GT that's relatively fuel efficient. So the interior should be very luxurious and comfortable with all the latest electronic gadgets. I also need a usable boot. And NO LED lights on the front just good old bi-xenons.

*or it could have my dream gearbox: a normal manual tranmission with a clutch pedal that has the ability to disable the clutch pedal (it would fold out of the way) and drive like an automatic/DSG when you're tired, stuck in traffic or too damn lazy to shift.

Porsche has a 7 speed manual gearbox?
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

That reminds me...my dream car would be a true 6 speed manual not a manumatic or dual clutch setup or anything like that.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Porsche has a 7 speed manual gearbox?
    Not yet, the next generation 911 will get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Not yet, the next generation 911 will get one.
    So say the rumourmills.

Unlike the rest of you who want ultra-performance that costs $$$, I'll take a different approach. Lightweight, RWD, with sporty suspension and inline-four that revs to infinity. Designed for sporty driving, yet economical and practical for day-to-day use. May include sedan, five-door, and wagon variants.

Wait, I just described an E30, didn't I? Only difference here is that it'll be engineered to be cheap to run, own, and repair. I'll also be sure to drop off one at Cosworth and have them fiddle around.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

E30s are cheap to run, own and repair if you do it right, but bar the M3 you want one with an I6.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information