Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini Update

Mini Update

some of you may remember that a few years back i bought a mini for next to nothing as a long term project...
    after stripping it back to the bare metal, and redoing the sound/rustproofing, i'd started to paint it red before stopping as other things took up my time (uni, triumph, etc etc).
    i'd had some pretty big plans for it but circumstances have changed - i can't really take my time with it as i need it on the road before next year, because my course has shifted out to a western university and i'll need to finish it while i'm still here with a shed. and a fuel efficient daily would help..

also pictured is the yellow mini, which runs but needs some cosmetic touching up standard 1100cc engine in it, will be a good benchmark.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

with the original crappy white paint off (well i say it's original, but i think it was resprayed..with refrigerator repair paint) i'd started to paint it red as it wasn't intended for me anymore.
    i changed my mind and began to fix it up, in order to coat it in ford's blueprint blue colour..
    also found some 10x7 rims on a kerbside rubbish dump, which i've cleaned up in order to sell or use on the yellow mini provided i can get tires for them.
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 04-27-2009 at 04:24 AM.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Learn to spell tyres correctly
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

i also gave up on the idea of an engine conversion, partly because i'm too functionally retarded to do it and partly because as per quigg's thread it's just pissing money away.
    at present the engine is a 1275cc clubman GT motor, currently in the acid bath, with a 12G940 head which is being ported and polished by a friend, then flow tested with a bunch of carby/manifolds i had lying around.
    so nothing fancy/out there, so to speak, no twincam conversion, no starlet GT engine swap.

this is how it looked with the first coat on; i had to sand patches of it back in order to fill in some bumps etc but i thought it was okay for a first attempt.

note my super professional jig i have it sitting on, i.e. the outside coffee table i nicked from the patio.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    Learn to spell tyres correctly
    either way is correct.. right?

an example of some of the carby's i might be using, extractors, and the engine block itself before it went off to be cleaned (needs it..)

I'm sure your mum will love your body stand!

What are you doing about protecting the underside if you paint it sitting on a table?

this is where i'm at now. as you can see the panels aren't perfect, the bonnet for example has a little dint in the front, but i'm just going to have to keep at it (probably after it's on the road even)
    this week i'll be doing the final stages of the paintwork, i'll post pics as i clean it up/buff it.
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 04-27-2009 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    What are you doing about protecting the underside if you paint it sitting on a table?
    nothing, it's just sitting on the plastic sheet on top of a real estate sign. i don't have to slide the shell around, because the table itself is wheeled.

Not referring to the table, but the underside of the car. Painting, or using the tar type sealants that where on the old English cars?

i sprayed it with black tar stuff that i think is advertised as a sound deadener, i think it prevents rust simply because it's thick and covers the metal, it's pretty hardy stuff. i did it quite awhile ago, i don't remember the details.

Engine upgrade??

Pro-Motive
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Nice. So how much projects do you actually have?

there is no such thing as luck, but i do wish you a smooth and productive operation </engineer>
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Love the blue man - All the best out west too.

Atleast you wont have to stop start in the air cooled porker anymore
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Thread Information