Thread: Uncharted 3

Uncharted 3

Another franchise known for the cinematic quality of the game, the 3rd one came out yesterday. Got a little more than 1.5 hours into it and it was pretty fun. Still one of the best looking PS3 game(despite only running in 720P), the color palette and the lighting effect(plus now the fancy flame) makes the game look very nice. And now with my 5.1 sound system it sounds very nice too(game supports most audio format also). The control is largely the same and being 3rd person the shooting mechanics is still lacking for someone coming from keyboard and mouse of the PC world. But fun regardless. Voice acting and music is still fantastic as rarely you find video game with this kind of believable banter between characters and genuine laugh-inducing moment. The story of a Indiana Jones-like guy with John McLane kind of humor is very likable. Being "cinematic" though means its very "not openworld", and much like its IMO, FPS equivalent, the COD franchise. It can feel like a rollercoaster rather than a Go-Kart, but a very good one at that.

Recommend it if you like this sort of game and have a PS3....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Picked mine up today and even on the easiest setting there was a solid 9hrs gameplay. To be honest i think i prefered the 2nd, but that shouldnt detract from the 3rd as its mainly related to the setting as oppsed to the actual gameplay.
    I am the Stig

I played most of Uncharted 2, I liked the action but after playing Far Cry 2, I liked the nonlinear game play a lot.

I may or may not get Uncharted 3, I might go for the Shadow of the Colossus and Ico Collection instead, and maybe along with the Metal Gear Collection.

I've got a pretty big backlog of games I want- Arkham City and L.A. Noire I'd like to play, maybe Ace Combat as well.

Let me know how Ace Combat is....it looks pretty sweet, but I've never played any of the previous game in the series...

Far Cry 2, it was fun, but it gets a bit tedious as driving mechanics in that game is crap and you are doing a lot of driving(with mouse and keyboard)...I think I've gotten to as far as the 2nd big map and stopped playing it after I reformatted my PC. I might reinstall it one day from Steam....

I've gotten to just before they are attacking the English convoy in Uncharted 3. I really like the many settings in this one and I think the witty banters are funnier this time around. I also noticed I tend to use more hand-to-hand then just shooting, probably stem from I still suck at shooting on PS3 in general. But I HATE spiders.....man they throw those out at you a lot....that shit is creepy as hell...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I kind of forced myself to finish Far Cry 2- I hate it when I buy games I don't finish, it's wasted money. But you're right, there was way too much empty space and too much driving in the game. It would make sense if you could open up a map and just fast travel from save point to save point. But in a sense, I guess they were trying to make it realistic as well.

And the enemies respawn way too quickly- they come up like weeds.

It's also odd that every town, post office and house shoots at me, whether or not I am an enemy to them or not.

Ace Combat I'm not going to get until another year or so- ditto that with Arkham City and L.A. Noire. I only get games now as GOTY editions, it's way cheaper and you also get all the DLCs in one go.

Played through Uncharted 2 and replayed through Uncharted 3 over the weekend(pathetic, I know, but I got nothing better to do, I did waxed my car on Sat....). I have to say Uncharted 2 I find was more "epic", even though 3 has some really spectacular moment. They did make some subtle changes to the mechanic of the game that sorta made 3 more tricky to handle. And not necessarily for the better. I do like though 3 is less "supernatural" than the 2. Those crazy yeti near the end of 2 was really annoying, so was the boss battle at the end. But nothing is more annoying than spiders....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Played through Uncharted 2 and replayed through Uncharted 3 over the weekend(pathetic, I know, but I got nothing better to do, I did waxed my car on Sat....). I have to say Uncharted 2 I find was more "epic", even though 3 has some really spectacular moment. They did make some subtle changes to the mechanic of the game that sorta made 3 more tricky to handle. And not necessarily for the better. I do like though 3 is less "supernatural" than the 2. Those crazy yeti near the end of 2 was really annoying, so was the boss battle at the end. But nothing is more annoying than spiders....
    The Yeti are annoying. I would have beaten the end boss if the power didn't cut out on me during a thunderstorm.

The supernaturalness I didn't like so much either. But the train levels were pretty cool.

The way to beat the end boss in U2 was beyond stupid for me(at least after I read about the semi-cheating way of doing it)....it was effective, but more of an "going through the motion" exercise....

At least that was better than Metal Gear Solid 2 on PS2...which I still yet to beat...lol
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The way to beat the end boss in U2 was beyond stupid for me(at least after I read about the semi-cheating way of doing it)....it was effective, but more of an "going through the motion" exercise....

At least that was better than Metal Gear Solid 2 on PS2...which I still yet to beat...lol
    Semi-cheating? I just ran around shooting the explosive goop when the went close to it. Of course, the unpredictible terrain meant I got stuck between rocks when I was winning. Eventually I won, but the game doesn't end there...

MGS2 is a major mindscrew, especially in the second half. There's a nice surprise when you wait for a certain individual call you...
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

I got to end of MGS2, I just never beat the Metal Gear....

The U2 thing, I can't aim and run to save me, the easier way is not to, and hang around some ledge and jump around so he can't shoot you, and pop up to shoot the resin when he stood next to it. Since those grows back with time, just keep repeating it...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Semi-cheating? I just ran around shooting the explosive goop when the went close to it. Of course, the unpredictible terrain meant I got stuck between rocks when I was winning. Eventually I won, but the game doesn't end there...

MGS2 is a major mindscrew, especially in the second half. There's a nice surprise when you wait for a certain individual call you...
    What do you mean the game doesn't end there? I beat it this weekend, it does end there. You just need to escape from the temple thingy.

I got to end of MGS2, I just never beat the Metal Gear....

The U2 thing, I can't aim and run to save me, the easier way is not to, and hang around some ledge and jump around so he can't shoot you, and pop up to shoot the resin when he stood next to it. Since those grows back with time, just keep repeating it...
    After you gave that hint I figured out where to hang. So much easier to beat him that way. I had been away from that game for too long, I forgot most of the controls. U2 wasn't all that satisfying- the action was great, I just didn't like that it was scripted. It felt like a very pretty platforming Modern Warfare game.

I don't think I'll be getting U3, I like open world games now. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood would the next on my to-play list.

Jeez, lots of nice releases this year- Metal Gear and Shadow of the Colossus Collection, L.A. Noire, Skyrim and Arkham City.

Thread Information