Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marco Simoncelli dies in MotoGP crash

Marco Simoncelli dies in MotoGP crash

Simoncelli dies from injuries suffered in Malaysian GP crash - MotoGP news - AUTOSPORT.com

Marco Simoncelli has died from the injuries he sustained in a crash on the second lap of the Malaysian Grand Prix. He was 24.
    Apparently he was unconscious following the accident. He then went into cardiac arrest in the ambulance. Would be horrific for Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi who were involved in the accident, particularly Rossi who was his countryman and close friend.

RIP Simo
    Last edited by fpv_gtho; 10-23-2011 at 07:49 AM.
    I am the Stig

Was horrendous to watch and Edwards/Rossi couldn't have done anything to avoid it

A huge loss to motorsport
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

This is a black month for motorsports in general.
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

If i did any form of motorsports this would make me rethink my career. But the crash didn't look that bad when I watched the video but wow it's a shame to lose such an excellent rider.

well 260, if you do motorsport, you know more about the risks getting in to than anyone else can and make the choice each day to do what you enjoy most.
    He'd been testing a WRC car just recently too
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    well 260, if you do motorsport, you know more about the risks getting in to than anyone else can and make the choice each day to do what you enjoy most.
    He'd been testing a WRC car just recently too
    I didn't know he was testing WRC. But motorcycle racing is a motorsport where it's hard to improve safety because you are racing in an open environment with a suit and helmet being the only things protecting you from asphalt and other riders.

For once they could get something that keeps their helmets ON the head.
    I know it's a one in a hundred accident, but how can that helmet fall off!? (And of course, would it have mattered)
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

apparently the straps are designed to release after a certain point. i think regardless of if thats true though it shows the energy of the impact unfortunately.

these guys are always going to be flirting with death. unfortunately it was only last year still when a rider last died in a similar accident and 2003 before that as well.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by 250gto boy View Post
    If i did any form of motorsports this would make me rethink my career. But the crash didn't look that bad when I watched the video but wow it's a shame to lose such an excellent rider.
    didn't look that bad? he was hanging off his bike trying to regain control when it his head, neck and back just went straight into edwards who's bike also fell and he fell too but he was able to get right up. rossi's bike almost lost control but he kept control.

as a rider, this may have been my first season with 3500 miles done, i've learned a lot and i hit a pothole one night, not speeding, just cruising and i almost lost control. i felt lucky to be able to regain control and not crash and get run over.

Quote Originally Posted by 250gto boy View Post
    I didn't know he was testing WRC. But motorcycle racing is a motorsport where it's hard to improve safety because you are racing in an open environment with a suit and helmet being the only things protecting you from asphalt and other riders.
    the protection they wear is pretty good considering falling off a bike/crashing is common. the leather works really well and so does the CE armor, however getting run over is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Brix View Post
    For once they could get something that keeps their helmets ON the head.
    I know it's a one in a hundred accident, but how can that helmet fall off!? (And of course, would it have mattered)
    those helmets do not come off easy. even if they arn't strapped. look at the video of how he was hit and then ask how it can come off. his neck seemed to have snapped in all honestly since it hit edwards's bike.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    apparently the straps are designed to release after a certain point. i think regardless of if thats true though it shows the energy of the impact unfortunately.

these guys are always going to be flirting with death. unfortunately it was only last year still when a rider last died in a similar accident and 2003 before that as well.
    i dont think they release. i always wonder how you take a helmet off of someone who crashed, it is not easy.

40 something riders have been killed in the 60 years of moto gp or there abour.

sad month for motorsports, sad day for moto gp. i read this and didn't even want to get on my bike today....
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

surprised no one has mentioned franco uncini yet - his coma inducing hit was similar to this crash

^ just without the $20,000 dollars worth of rider gear that the MotoGP guys enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Was horrendous to watch and Edwards/Rossi couldn't have done anything to avoid it

A huge loss to motorsport
    actually if you watch the slow-mo, they would have avoided him if they lifted from their lines & went wide

but it happened fast & they were not "slow" human beings

I was meaning in real time. You cant lift a bike and change direction THAT fast
    Can't even brake !!

of course you can - that skill is basically essential to my current state of health

i think it was more to do with him crossing back onto their line - not the lack of space

if they knew he was going to be there they would have lifted & rode round the outside

erm crossing their line was the cause of the lack of space !!

I was talkign about the actual incident, not other "possibilities".
    In the case on the video there was NO time to lift a bike or steer or even brake

I've ridden bikes for 15 years too and on the Isle of Man TT with no speed limits and as near race speeds as a production bike can manage. At those speeds there are a lot of the corner sequences you have to take slower so you ahve TIME to transition the bike

You'd have struggled on a high-speed racing bicycle to dodge them in real time, and even then you still might have ended up lobbing the bike straight at them anyway, so on a motorbike of ANY kind it would've been simply impossible - even if they had tried to correct, they'd probably have lost their bikes and had them slam into Simoncelli anyway, not to mention possibly getting pancaked themselves. R.I.P. Marco.

I don't follow MotoGP and would be lying if I said that I knew who Simoncelli was, but it is always sad to see someone young and talented go like that.

RIP

Thread Information