Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V8 Supercars Gala Award Dinner

V8 Supercars Gala Award Dinner

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/l...nd=M&gid=14576

Marcos Ambrose dominates on and off track in V8 Supercar Champonship Series
    Release Date: 10/12/2004
    Marcos Ambrose’ and Stone Brothers Racing’s domination of the V8 Supercar Championship Series was further reinforced at tonight’s glitzy Gala Awards Dinner at the Gold Coast Convention Centre.

Ambrose, who secured the 2004 V8 Supercar Championship Series in the BigPond Grand Finale, won the coveted Barry Sheene Medal for his outstanding leadership, personality, fan appeal and sportsmanship.

A team of 14 panellists from the major metropolitan media, motorsport magazine, former drivers and Network Ten commentators voted at every round of the championship to award the medal that honours the former Motorsport legend and V8 Supercar commentator.

It was the second year Ambrose has won the medal after its inception in 2003 following the passing of Sheene. Ambrose accepted the Medal from Stephanie Sheene, wife of the late Barry Sheene.

“Barry was the quintessential champion who personified what motor racing and life in general should be all about,” AVESCO Chairman Tony Cochrane said.

“He was a unique character, a great mate to all in the championship and will never be forgotten.”

Ingall was presented with his award for finishing second in the championship while Holden driver Jason Bright accepted his award for finishing third behind the Stone Brothers pair.

Ambrose’ team Stone Brothers Racing completed another quinella following the clinching of second place in the championship by Russell Ingall in taking the 2004 Champion Team of the Year Award.

Dick Johnson Racing’s Warren Luff won the Mike Kable Rookie of the Year Award for his debut season in the V8 Supercar Championship Series in which he finished 14th, ahead of some more season campaigners.

Kmart Racing’s Greg Murphy and Rick Kelly were honoured for the second successive Bathurst victory while Mark Skaife, despite a poor season by his own admission, took the award for the most pole positions in 2004.

Despite Ford’s domination of the year through Stone Brothers Racing, Holden won the Champion Manufacturer Award for the most event victories while the Holden Racing Team won best presented and the People’s Choice award for the Most Popular team. Skaife was the Most Popular Personality.

Young rising star Andrew Jones, who will race fulltime with Garry Rodgers Motorsport in the Championship next year, was duly recognised for winning the 2004 Konica Minolta Championship.

The inaugural Bartercard Miss V8 Supergirl Renee Maurer was also introduced as the 2005 Face of the Series.

Former greats Bob Morris and Fred Gibson were inducted into the Hall of Fame, joining Colin Bond, Peter Brock, Dick Johnson, Alan Moffat and Ian ‘Pete’ Geoghegan on the list of Australian Motorsport legends.

All Ford fans will remember Gibson with great pride. He was the man, with Harry Firth, who gave the Falcon its first victory in the Bathurst 500 in 1976.

He jumped the fence to help Mark Skaife to in 1990, 1991 and 1992, including wins on the mountain in 1991 and 1992. He also helped Skaife to championship victory in 1994 with the Holden Racing Team.

Gibson was also instrumental in the 1999 Bathurst victory of Greg Murphy and Steven Richards.

Arguably one of the country’s greatest privateers, Morris loved nothing more than beating the more powerful factory backed teams. His Torana XU1 was legendary in the 1970s under the sponsorship of Ron Hodgson.

Morris’ greatest moment was at Bathurst in 1976 when he and co-driver John Fitzpatrick nursed their struggling car through the last few corners for one of the greatest victories at the great race.

In 1978 he led Peter Brock by four points into the last round but Brock stole the show and the following year did the same … but this time Morris sealed the championship. Morris finished his career in 1984 with eight race wins, including four in a single season, for a total of 24 podium finishes.

The Gala Dinner hosted the heavyweights of Australian Motorsport, every V8 Supercar driver, team owners, the AVESCO Board, business identities, leading media and political dignitaries.

Full list of 2005 V8 Supercar Championship Series Awards:

Best Volunteer Group: Eastern Creek – BigPond Grand Finale
    AVESCO Media Award – Press: Guy Hand, Australian Associated Press
    Best Presented Team: Holden Racing Team
    Promoter of the Year: Clipsal 500 Adelaide
    Champion Manufacturer of the Year: Holden
    Champion Team of the Year: Stone Brothers Racing
    Mike Kable Rookie of the Year: Warren Luff
    Konica Minolta Champion: Andrew Jones, Team BOC
    Barry Sheene Medal: Marcos Ambrose
    Monroe Pole Award: Mark Skaife
    Bartercard Miss V8 Supergirl: Renee Maurer
    RPM People’s Choice Award – Most Personality of the Year: Mark Skaife
    RPM People’s Choice Award - Most Popular Team of the Year: Holden Racing Team
    Hall of Fame Inductees: Bob Morris, Fred Gibson
    I am the Stig

Great job there mate, There are some surprises there. I mist it on the box
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

i dont know when they done it, but channel 10 showed it today 4-5. better than last year i guess which was like 11:30-12:30 at night
    I am the Stig

I wouldent mind betting that 90% of the people who voted for skaife havent met him.....

But other then that all the rewards are well deserved...i was suprised by luff winmning though

Winterbottom done better than him but he's not a rookie this year, he had that award last year afterall. Perhaps there should be an award going to both of the championships, afterall not everyone getting into the V8 Supercars has had experience in the Konica Minolta's.

But yeah, alot of HRT's and Skaifes accolades are from i guess his reputation from HRT's dominance from 2000-2002. I seriously thought that even after the 1-2, SBR wouldve gotten most popular team. If its not alot of people who have never met Skaife, perhaps its the opposite and its everyone who's been to alot of the rounds and seen around the pit garages. Afterall, the shots they were showing made it look like HRT's garage could be mistaken for those Lions Den shops but most people say that SBR run everything pretty bare bones
    I am the Stig

Well championship position really helps rember frosty has had more lemons then luff....

Well Holden is copying farrari in the glitz department....must be something to do with the colour red? Also the stones are very secrative VERY they use shades everytime they legallycan...they got banned at canberra so theyclosed up and turned the cars around and got them as far back to the wall as they could...Alsoif i rember correctly they practically threw ambrose into the croud so they wernt gawking at the cars....a tad touchy but i cant blame them ittook them this long to get where they are and apparently they do everything their own way and if you look around through the in car cams you can notice things no one else does....but any ways im prattling on...the only one i was disputing was mark skaife bneing personality of the year....mainly because he doesnt have one!

well i know youve had a bad experience with Skaifey that goes against him getting the award

well i guess one good thing about the rules is whilst they always chase extreme parity, they still let individual teams produce individual parts (even simple things like the garry-bar) so teams can chase performance gain from hours of engineering. i know when Avesco said something about changing the rules so basically the teams all had to use much the same parts across the board, Larry Perkins was highly against it s his engineering side of the sport would be dead, he'd rather AVESCO offer a range of parts all complying rather than just the 1 etc
    I am the Stig

Im with larry on this one...itll allow teams to get involved with their sponsors and itll also provide something to talk about for example pwrs break failures (not the nicest example but the first one i thought of) personally i think alittlecompetition and diffrent parts could only help.....and if they do this why not put them all in formula fords or worse still why not just buy NASCAR shells an buy the rule manuals for NASCAR and crossout NASCAR and write V*super car on them....cokrins a buisness man...me thinks GTPs new direction seems more appealing right now.....

And its not only me ivemet 2 other people at work who have met him one of our PD mechanics met him and laowndes at canberra when he was doing security...."lowndes was a goodbloke....and even though his lines where pretty much what he would of said on telly he seemed pretty happy to talk but skaife on the other hand done nothing but winged and bitched and got very offended when i asked why are you pissed off...didnt get your setup right for the track you helped make?" spiteful i know butapprently he went right off his tree

And a shelia in service who is still involved with volenteer work is a serious holden fan "ive tried to like skaife but hes just a pig and buisnessman...not very liakble at all" im yet to talk to someone whos met him to like him...

i guess he lets the sport get to him too much in his private life, most people will probably just try and keep it on the track but i guess like any job, you cant keep it all at work

well i suppose we should be lucky the basic shells the V8's use are still fairly compatible with that of a road car, NASCAR theyve just got the rollcage then an "aerodynamically shaped" body with decals as headlights. some of cochrane's ideas seem oddball lately, but people claim that its AVESCO keeping the sport alive and his doing that has made it possibly the best touring car championship in the world
    I am the Stig

Skaife can't be all that bad, After all he was the first to congratulate Russell ingall Comming second in the championship a year after his chance was robbed by the very person he congratulated

well thats a thought i guess, but it might be more of a pointer at how he treats fans and spectators when the camera's not in his face, he knew about the last 20 laps of that race, his history with Ingall from the previous year, and the camera chasing Ingall up to the podium
    I am the Stig

Yes but i also seen todd kelly walk straight past him

well Ingall's already said that in those 20 laps he was stuck behind skaife, he was thinking about the TV time he was getting, and perhaps skaife did as well and took the opportunity to set things right infront of the camera
    I am the Stig

Maybe he's a better man then first appearance?.
    I come across as unsociable and quite, What would people think of me??
    I'm just quite and keep to myself i don't like to party so i stay home, Hey I'm a stuck up snob But it's just the way i come across I'm like that.

who would really know, after the whole TWR debacle Skaifey would be a completely different person than 2-3 years ago
    I am the Stig

Thread Information