Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting at Virginia Tech

Ah, the video game card. It's almost as easy to use as the black card.

Indeed.

Perhaps it should be made into a trading card or something.

watch as the media merrily skip around the fact the guy was an obvious wack-job and pulled the trigger......
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Yeah, seriously, what has this world gone to?
    I haven't read the whole thread, but I think this already deserves an answer. The current level of fatalaties is about similar to the number of civilian people who die in Iraq every day...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Indeed.

Perhaps it should be made into a trading card or something.

watch as the media merrily skip around the fact the guy was an obvious wack-job and pulled the trigger......
    humans always take the path of least effort - it's easier to ban stuff than solve the base problem plus it looks good to your voters....hell, get SUV's and global warming in on the deal, you'd be unstoppable in political terms.
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread, but I think this already deserves an answer. The current level of fatalaties is about similar to the number of civilian people who die in Iraq every day...
    yes...the fact that society is producing these kind of psychotics is a worry
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post

yes...the fact that society is producing these kind of psychotics is a worry
    my comment was also inspired by the fact that I am currently sitting in a hotel room, watching BBC world and CNN.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Our world has always been a violent place. let's not kid ourselves.

It just wasn't televised 100 years ago.

Our world has always been a violent place. let's not kid ourselves.

It just wasn't televised 100 years ago.
    true.
    There's a price to pay for civilisation, i guess.
    The Wild, Wild, West was a VERY polite place, because
    all the idiots died.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Civilisation? i find nothing civil about the way some of the world is right now.

Its horrifying to hear these sorts of things, my thoughts are with the families and friends of all those involved.

Whether its because of society these days, or whether these sorts of people were around before too, but I think its largely down to the availability of guns in the US. The UK must have its fair share of psychos too, but the only thing they had available to them was some flour and fertiliser. Surely the US will have to do something drastic about the gun culture there, seems the licence method clearly isnt working.

And as far as I hate to admit it, games do have an effect on you. My sis was playing GTA the other day, and later on we went out for dinner, and passed a police car. No joke, she said she actually felt like saying 'its the cops, dont do anything crazy'. obviously she laughed at this later, but it is scary that games can have that much of an effect of even normal people, where the lines between reality and game become ever so slightly blurred. So imagine the people who already have issues with their mental state, playing games such as GTA where you are controlling someone to your every whim can so easily tip them over the edge. Im not saying its completely down to this, and I dont have a way of resolving this either, but you have to realise where the influences for these people are coming from. If a person has never heard of GTA and running around shooting people, then surely that idea will never crop up.

Not that much info is feeding through just yet, but it does seem the Uni made a mistake in not informing students after the first shooting incident which happened 2 hours before the main one as regards to fatalities.
    Porsche!

I still think that it is mind boggling to know that other countries that have more guns per person can manage to have less gun related deaths...

Look at canada they have alot more guns per person but only 100th the gun related killings a year...?

makes you wonder what the f**k is wrong with the US?
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

I agree - they should really have shut the university down.

but have you - either of you - read anything about what was previously said in the thread? its so much easier to blame other things than the actual person. to try and make sense of tragedy. sometimes you just have to accept some people are F'ed up.

Quote Originally Posted by RazaBlade View Post
    And as far as I hate to admit it, games do have an effect on you. My sis was playing GTA the other day, and later on we went out for dinner, and passed a police car. No joke, she said she actually felt like saying 'its the cops, dont do anything crazy'. obviously she laughed at this later, but it is scary that games can have that much of an effect of even normal people, where the lines between reality and game become ever so slightly blurred. So imagine the people who already have issues with their mental state, playing games such as GTA where you are controlling someone to your every whim can so easily tip them over the edge. Im not saying its completely down to this, and I dont have a way of resolving this either, but you have to realise where the influences for these people are coming from. If a person has never heard of GTA and running around shooting people, then surely that idea will never crop up.
    I don't think so. If someone's already crazy, I doubt playing a game like Grand Theft Auto will immediately throw them over the edge and force them to go on a shooting spree. My guess about this story is that the kid was an engineer (he shot up an engineering department building), got fed up with the workload and deadlines, so he took it out on classmates and innocent people.

Theres speculation as to whether or not he was even a student at the University.

Right now it's all innuendo and hearsay.

Theres speculation as to whether or not he was even a student at the University.

Right now it's all innuendo and hearsay.
    Oh, I know that. It was just my guess.

With an educated guess like that sir, i suggest you call up the Local news channel and get a guest spot as a "Behavioural expert" or some other crap.

You could make some money.

Thread Information