Thread: What easy-to-use 3D software can you use to design a car body before modelling it in

What easy-to-use 3D software can you use to design a car body before modelling it in

What easy-to-use 3D software can you use to design a car body before modelling it in clay?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that even if the program is easy, actually modelling the car won't be. My friends who do some 3D animation/modelling seem to use Maya and 3DS Max.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Both are probably free if you're a university student.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

None are easy to use at the level you likely need. Creo (from PTC, the guys who make Pro Engineer) is free for a limited version that likely is more than up to the taks of creating a solid car body shape. Just go to their website and download it.

Solidworks can do it but it's probably not the best. It's just the one I use the most. It's $100 for a student copy and much more for a regular version.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    And if not then i'd suggest looking up zmodeler v1.07b. It's completely free to use and is where i first leant to make my own 3D models and to this day (ten years on) i still use it because of its simplicity. (There's Zmodeler2 around but that requires registering/payment and if it's your first time out the free version is your best bet since the newer version is a little more complicated)

How you would then translate your resulting model from it to clay though i'm unsure of.

I've only personally been interested in using it to create vehicles previously for F1-Challenge, rFactor and GTR2 mods. More recently though i've limited myself to making the odd vehicle model for personal pleasure (as seen in the attachments - note though the final "renders" are via another program called "Deep Exploration" (which i picked up for a steal at a local car boot fare) and not zmodeler).

When you do get something going i look forward to seeing your results.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use Rhino, give it a go, you might be surprised, i've used it for rapid prototyping.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Really? i never knew this.

That's really good RSOWNER!!

Thread Information