Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this old lady worth anything????

Is this old lady worth anything????

This is apparently an Austin Westminister Princess Van der Plas, 1948 model according to the owner. We have just bought the old lady for virtually nothing!! There is no registration papers to identify this car. Apparently it was imported from the old Rhodesia into South Africa. It was a Government car in Rhodesia....seeing it is a limo i need to think some or other officials car..

How and where can i trace the history on the old dame???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm just an oldhustler trapped in a hotrodders world
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.
    Fiberglass is traditional.From Malmesbury,South Africa

I can't offer any assistance on what you're looking for, but I can say WOW thats in nice shape for its age .

Beautiful car, no real info from me. But you know what's coming: we need an EggNog.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia

The first Austin Princess was launched in 1947 as the most expensive flagship model in the Austin range. Based on the Austin Sheerline, the Princess (model code A135) featured a body by the coachbuilder Vanden Plas and was a fairly large saloon or limousine. Not a popular model with the general public, most Princesses (and Sheerlines, for that matter) were bought for civic ceremonial duties or by hire companies as limousines for hire.

The Princess model was updated over the years through Mark I, Mark II and Mark III versions, the variations being fairly minor: the bodywork didn't change much, nor did the 4-litre straight-6 engine. The radiator was fairly upright in old-fashioned style and the car had separate front wings.

During the life of this model (in 1952), Austin became part of the British Motor Corporation (BMC).
    A long wheelbase version tested by The Motor magazine in 1953 had a top speed of 79 mph (127 km/h) and could accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 23.3 seconds. A fuel consumption of 15.1 miles per imperial gallon (18.7 L/100 km; 12.6 mpg-US) was recorded. The test car cost £2480 including taxes. [1]

... Or a video of you ghost riding it, either will do
    Last edited by TVRs4eva; 11-17-2010 at 03:12 PM.
    Reutlingen/ San Francisco

Austin Sheerline - Austin and the Razor's Edge - 187 | Classic cars | vintage cars, car enthusiasts and historic racing

the Sheerline is a bit like the Armstrong Siddeley, largely forgotten, but a bargain when you are interested in one.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Neat! It also has a similar shift pattern to the 56 Hudson Metropolitan three-on-the-tree I used to have, helps that it was built on the Spridget platform.

Telescopic steering wheel? Wow, that's been around longer than I though.

The dipswitch control still makes me laugh :P

That's one lovely lady.
    Of course it is worth something. The question in my mind are more like roadworthy or not. I prefere beeing able to drive a car when ever I wish, but I do understand the ones that just like to have a ride in theire veterans when it's a perfect day.
    How would that car been with a modern drivetrain, and mildly uprated chassis?
    Not like a typical american hot rod, just so it could be a suprice on the roads any day. Following the traffic, and beeing easier to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by willysjeep View Post
    This is apparently an Austin Westminister Princess Van der Plas, 1948 model according to the owner. We have just bought the old lady for virtually nothing!! There is no registration papers to identify this car. Apparently it was imported from the old Rhodesia into South Africa. It was a Government car in Rhodesia....seeing it is a limo i need to think some or other officials car..

How and where can i trace the history on the old dame???
    It's a late 1950s Austin Princess 4-litre Limousine, failrly rare nowadays. The British Motor Industry Heritage Trust may be able to help you date it and find out where it oroginally went when new; http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co....hive-services/

its is the rare car at present and you shoud know something that price of rare things is always high .they way its bonnet opens is amazing .

We have now put the old dame through the workshop and did the brakes, cooling system and the hydraulic jack system. We fitted new plugs, filter and ignition system. The old banger now runs like a dream. Advertised it as is and the first caller will arrive on Monday.
    According to the Heritage Motor centre guys there were only 200 made of these cars and this one is in absolute good nick....needs new paint though.
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.

We have now put the old dame through the workshop and did the brakes, cooling system and the hydraulic jack system. We fitted new plugs, filter and ignition system. The old banger now runs like a dream. Advertised it as is and the first caller will arrive on Monday.
    According to the Heritage Motor centre guys there were only 200 made of these cars and this one is in absolute good nick....needs new paint though.
    how is she body wise, rust not an issue anywhere?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

all i have to say is, wow that looks to be in great shape. Hope the mechanics prove to be as good as it look though. Put some work on it and it can easily be concours-quality! Then it'd be worth a lot!

A quick search turned up a few comparables for excellent condition examples, ranging from $10,000 to $14,000 US. That covered a wide range in years, too... up to the A90. Photos don't tell much but yours looks like a decent driver. Post a 'Nogg and enjoy it... not like there's big demand for them.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    how is she body wise, rust not an issue anywhere?
    No rust at all Pieter, only bad places on the paintjob, but remember the sun is like hell here in South Africa, and the car is black. Sold it to the first guy who came to view though!!

No rust at all Pieter, only bad places on the paintjob, but remember the sun is like hell here in South Africa, and the car is black. Sold it to the first guy who came to view though!!
    congrats, for a price in the vicinity of what has been quoted in this thread, or do you have created an upset in the tiny world of Sheerlines?

Thread Information