Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 250 GT California sets new auction World Record

Ferrari 250 GT California sets new auction World Record

RM AUCTIONS IN ASSOCIATION WITH SOTHEBY'S SETS NEW WORLD AUCTION RECORD FOR RARE FERRARI AT MARANELLO, ITALY SALE

Maranello, Italy (May 18th, 2008) Car enthusiasts and Ferrari collectors from across the globe descended on Maranello, Italy this past weekend for RM Auctions' second annual "Ferrari Leggenda e Passione" auction event to witness a new auction record established for a 1961 Ferrari California Spyder formerly owned by actor James Coburn. The rare car exceeeded all expectations by selling for a world record auction price for a vintage car at auction in the amount of $10,894,900 U.S., surpassing the previous record set at Sotheby's Monaco in 1990 for a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO at $10,756,000 U.S.

The annual RM Ferrari auction held in association with Sotheby's, put under the hammer an unrivalled collection of historic Ferraris at the legendary home of Ferrari in Maranello, Italy. Among the attendees was one extremely well known Ferrari enthusiast, and British television and radio personality Chris Evans. Chris, accompanied by his wife, golf pro and writer Natasha Shishmanian, attended the Gala reception on Saturday, May 17th where he fell for the considerable charms of a black 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder. The following day, Chris made the successful bid for his dream machine, which will now take pride of place in his own celebrated collection and the honor of "the most valuable car sold in auction history."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by <AAA-MOD>; 05-18-2008 at 12:40 PM.
    aka: Rob Clements, Ultimatecarpage North American Correspondent
    "big durango", formerly known as the "MEDIA MASTER", (title now belonging to Matt)

The 50 other SWB California owners have just seen their car doubled in value. This is insane.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I thought the most expensive car sold at auction was a Bugatti Royale.

I also have heard that 250 GTO's are/were valued at 14 million USD. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I thought the most expensive car sold at auction was a Bugatti Royale.

I also have heard that 250 GTO's are/were valued at 14 million USD. Is this correct?
    Closer to 20 for a good example.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Closer to 20 for a good example.
    I think now 30 would be a better guess, to maintain the difference with the California...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Sweet, at $30 million an example I'll get mine in 1,670.38 years if I continue to work full time at my current job!

Let's just hope they don't increase in value anymore...
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Sweet, at $30 million an example I'll get mine in 1,670.38 years if I continue to work full time at my current job!

Let's just hope they don't increase in value anymore...
    it should also be noted that the Dollar value has fallen rapidly....so 1 dollar buys you far less classic Ferrari than 5 years ago...,
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    it should also be noted that the Dollar value has fallen rapidly....so 1 dollar buys you far less classic Ferrari than 5 years ago...,
    I can't imagine in 1,670 years...
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    The only car I can think of that you can get for anywhere near 1 dollar is a 1 pound deposit on a Kia
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Dantera22B View Post
    The only car I can think of that you can get for anywhere near 1 dollar is a 1 pound deposit on a Kia
    read more carefully.....I never said that you can buy a classic Ferrari for one dollar...

I think the real issue here is where the hell did Chris Evans get almost $11 million USD to splash on a new Ferrari...

Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

A 1931 Bugatti Royale Kellner Coupe sold for $8.7 million USD in 1987 which adjusted for inflation is $17.6 million USD.

Pshaw, a man would have made a nice round bid of $10.9 mil.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    The 50 other SWB California owners have just seen their car doubled in value. This is insane.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Somewhere Cameron's dad (Ferris Bueller's Day Off) is crying a little more. Hahaha.

Thread Information