• DeTomaso Deauville

14 43.75%
  • DeTomaso Longchamp

20 62.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DeTomaso Longchamp vs. DeTomaso Deauville

DeTomaso Longchamp vs. DeTomaso Deauville

Different cars, I know, but if you had to get one (dont pick one that suits your lifestyle, just the one that ignites your primal desires the most)

No specs though, both are similar around 400 horses and costs around the same too. Handling is probably nothign spectacular. The Longchamp is Shorter.

DeTomaso Longchamp

DeTomaso Deauville
    Attached Images Attached Images
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

I'd prefer the more attractive sedan

Engines were not 400hp but around 330 IIRC and were 351 Cleveland made by Ford Australia

There were a couple of Longchamps at Auto Italia and I didn't think they looked that bad, definately better than in those photos
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

If the Longchamps was a GTS version, I'd choose it. Otherwise, I go for Deauville.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Longchamps

Longchamps profile looks a bit like a beautyless ferrari 400, but still i'd prefer it to Deauville.

Actually I'd take a Maserati Kyalami
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Actually I'd take a Maserati Kyalami
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...864#post426864
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Interesting post, it's also interesting to note that despite carrying a better known badge and arguably better engines, the Longchamp actually outsold and outlasted the Kyalami.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I prefer the Deauville, it's more distinctive.

The Longchamp looks like a strange combination of old Ford Cortina, Datsun 200 SX and the W107 Benz (older SL and SLC).

Actually even the Deauville looks XJ6-derived, still nicer.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...864#post426864

In 1976 Alejandro De Tomaso acquired the Maserati factory from Citroen and to immediately introduce a new model, the Longchamp was fitted with the smallest of the concurrent Maerati V8s, the 4.1 litre version. Ghia changed the front section slightly, and with 235 BHP on the tap and a manual gearbox, the car could now achieve 240 kph. In 1978 the 280 BHP 4.9 litre version became available also. Production stopped well ahead of the Longchamp in 1983, after 124 cars with the smaller engine and 75 4.9 litres were produced.
    Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your above quote but you seem to imply that Detomaso Longchamp engines were ex-Maserati, not ex-Ford Falcon GT

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your above quote but you seem to imply that Detomaso Longchamp engines were ex-Maserati, not ex-Ford Falcon GT
    what you should read is that de Tomaso fitted his Longchamp with Maserati engines and called it Kyalami
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    what you should read is that de Tomaso fitted his Longchamp with Maserati engines and called it Kyalami
    Ah, so did Alejandro end up with two very similar machines (Kyalami & Longchamp) which were then sold concurrently and, at a guess, competed with each other for sales?

That sounds almost GM-logical

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Ah, so did Alejandro end up with two very similar machines (Kyalami & Longchamp) which were then sold concurrently and, at a guess, competed with each other for sales?

That sounds almost GM-logical
    he found this the best way to come up with a new Maserati. Badge engineering as it is called...

I think, it's not the best idea to compare a 2+2 Coupe with a 4 door saloon.
    The comparison should be Longchamp vs Kyalami or Deauville vs Quattroporte III.
    The Quattroporte has nearly the same chassis, dimensions and weight.
    Nevertheless the Deauville was the much more sporty car with much more top speed. And this with the old Ford engine, instead the 4 cam, Aluminium Maserati engine.
    I had 2 of them and they made a lot of fun.
    In my opinion, the best looking car in this class is the Longchamp GTS/E Spider. See at:
    http://pantera.infopop.cc/groupee/fo...2/m/2240097093

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSi
    I think, it's not the best idea to compare a 2+2 Coupe with a 4 door saloon.
    The comparison should be Longchamp vs Kyalami or Deauville vs Quattroporte III.
    The Quattroporte has nearly the same chassis, dimensions and weight.
    Nevertheless the Deauville was the much more sporty car with much more top speed. And this with the old Ford engine, instead the 4 cam, Aluminium Maserati engine.
    I had 2 of them and they made a lot of fun.
    In my opinion, the best looking car in this class is the Longchamp GTS/E Spider. See at:
    http://pantera.infopop.cc/groupee/fo...2/m/2240097093
    niece find, and welcome to UCP. You are right about the initial comparison in the first place. The Deauville was more seen as the Jaguar XJ of its time.
    Another interesting conversion I came across last involving Maserati and Ford, was the GT40 that showed up at Monterey, fitted with a twin cam Maserati....

Thread Information