Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Station Wagons -- Best of 1960s!

Volkswagen Station Wagons -- Best of 1960s!

Here is the proof! Move over Ford. Move over Chevy and Plymouth. This VW is a beauty! I bet that baby had plenty of power, with all 50 or so horses on tap. Good thing it was a torque monster!

Edit: I'm on a 21" monitor so I can read the text quite easily. For those who can't, download the picture and enlarge it. You'll enjoy the humor. Gotta especially like the remarks that it is "better" because one doesn't have to worry about leaky radiators or bad hoses, as it is air-cooled!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NorTex; 11-12-2011 at 03:06 PM.
    "When travelling down the freeway, the first bug to hit a clean windshield will always land directly in front of the driver's face."

It's impressive how things have advanced, now 23mpg is nothing to write home about and engines are infinitely more powerful.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Other than VW Station Wagon, is there a more definitive model designation?

I was trying to look up the specs.

Probably the Volkswagen Type 3 Variant.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

From the date of that ad I'd guess the old squareback one.

BUT is it possible it was the US designation for the VW bus ??
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    From the date of that ad I'd guess the old squareback one.

BUT is it possible it was the US designation for the VW bus ??
    LOL....I love that ad, Matra! My 1969 Bug put out a rated 53 horsepower (please tell me that was SAE net and not "gross." If it wasn't I could walk faster on foot!)...

A buddy back in high school owned a 1972 VW Vanagon with a stock motor and transmission. In the Torrance/Redondo Beach areas, it is quite hilly and with four or five other people in it, it took some serious RPMs just to get it up a hill. Sad, being it was so "gutless." Then again, he was driving it back in 1990-91, so it may have had a lot of miles. Good memories, nonetheless!
    Last edited by NorTex; 11-12-2011 at 02:55 PM.
    "When travelling down the freeway, the first bug to hit a clean windshield will always land directly in front of the driver's face."

Ca. heat must have sapped the poor air-cooled engine of power too
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Other than VW Station Wagon, is there a more definitive model designation?

I was trying to look up the specs.
    NSX,

I don't recall an "actual" VW wagon, unless it was a squareback...It's been many years since I've even looked at a car mag or been in the hobby. This thread was started as tongue in cheek, by the way. I love VW bugs, regardless what others may think about 'em. Lots of good jokes too! But like Fleet says, "just pull into a parking lot and people will notice it and gather around, unlike a parking lot full of Acuras and Hondas!

Why would one put tail lights in the lay-down "tailgate/rear door"? I believe this ad may be a total spoof in the first place. Notice we know the make (Volkwagen) but not the model? It's simply called a "station wagon," as opposed to something like Karmen Ghia, Beetle, etc. ....It's still good for the laughs!
    Last edited by NorTex; 11-12-2011 at 03:20 PM.

I'd say likely usual US "naming" issues .... in Europe it was called the "Variant"
    That may have been deemed too confusing ....
    Customer:"What variant is it?"
    Dealer:"yes"

I'd say likely usual US "naming" issues .... in Europe it was called the "Variant"
    That may have been deemed too confusing ....
    Customer:"What variant is it?"
    Dealer:"yes"
    Thank you for the reply, Matra! I "Googled" VW Variant Station Wagon and the first thing that pops up is this hideous looking thing:

http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/...S_Variant.html Notice the wrap-around rear tail-lights?....Um, if I were alive back in 1970 and my parents wanted to purchase me a new car, such as this one, I'd opt out for a moped or skateboard instead!

Suffice to say, if we even have to question if VW ever made a "real" station wagon, then it's best not to even remember as few examples are in private collector's garages! LOL
    Last edited by NorTex; 11-12-2011 at 04:09 PM.

yeah that's the later more angular version.
    IF you were driving back in 1970 then you woudl have appreciated the styling.
    Tho' to be fair, the US bumper laws did then make the most beautiful Euuropean cars VERY ugly

yeah that's the later more angular version.
    IF you were driving back in 1970 then you woudl have appreciated the styling.
    Tho' to be fair, the US bumper laws did then make the most beautiful Euuropean cars VERY ugly
    Aside from Volkswagens, it was evident on Mercedes models. Of the five Mercedes in the family over the years, we always opted for Euro bumpers and headlights when buying 'em used. Those were aesthetic and easy on the eyes!

Worst imho was the beautifully styled Fiat X1/9 that then had bumpers that looked 25% of the car

Worst imho was the beautifully styled Fiat X1/9 that then had bumpers that looked 25% of the car
    Have a pic to share? I'd appreciate it! ....As for me, I didn't get a driver's license until 1988, so I was a little late to experience all these cars!

Thread Information