Thread: Lloyd Alexander Frua Coupe

Lloyd Alexander Frua Coupe

The German company Lloyd, part of the Borgward group, was known for making small two-cylinder engined cars of mediocre quality. A very famous saying in Germany at that time (the fifties) was: Wer den Tod nicht scheut, faehrt Lloyd (Could be translated as: He who is not afraid to die drives a Lloyd).
    The Lloyd Alexander was the a small two door car with suicide doors capable of doing somewhat over 100 kph.
    Nevertheless even Pietro Frua saw some potential in the car and according to his design 49 coupes were created, fitted with a 600 cc, 30 bhp engine, 5 more than the standard version. With a kerb weight of under 600 kg, the car could reach a 120 kph, not really so bad.

Very few of these cars have survived, and in 2003 two of them were brought to Schwetzingen, for the Concours d’ Europe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    Modelyear?
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Quote Originally Posted by netburner
    Modelyear?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I was always confused a bit by this company. Is the name of the manufacturer "Lloyd" or "Lloyd Alexander"? It is a beautiful car btw. Didn't have any high-res pix thought.

Company name is Lloyd, the little sedan was named Alexander. Later on they produced a slightly larger one named Arabella, which actually looked a bit like the Amphicar. Have no pics of those.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Company name is Lloyd, the little sedan was named Alexander. Later on they produced a slightly larger one named Arabella, which actually looked a bit like the Amphicar. Have no pics of those.
    I have a couple of pix of the Arabella, nothing to drool over though quality wise. Looks like the body is also designed by Frua (don't know about pic #6 though)
    Last edited by dracu777; 10-27-2005 at 07:16 AM.

2 More...

The Lloyd Arabella Frua pics on this page are from my website www.pietro-frua.de/1959_lloyd.htm.

Stefan Dierkes
    Registro Pietro Frua

It's a particularly stunted looking vehicle. The overhangs look too long.

But still, it's one i've not seen before, it's very interesting.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

(Pietro's)'Frua bodybuilders,built &designed bodies for many mfrs.(inc. Volvo P1800 Which bodies manufactured by'Pressed steel' of Coventry,England...not Scotland!).The Borgward co. of Bremen(or Bremenhaffen,Bremen's port)area,bought Lloyd.
    Interestingly enough,when we look back in time,so many manufacturers disappeared,some merged(amalgameted) wi' others.The early 50's were my favo(u)rites,By the way,did anyone noticed design similarities to Renault'Caravelle"&'Floride',late 50's i remember the'Renault' Etoile filante'(falling star,or Comet)it was a concept car of course,but interestingly enough,the design of such concept,had lines that copied for future models,which it's still the same idea even today.
    Poppies.popies.Popayan!

Warum?!

Quote Originally Posted by Registro Pietro
    The Lloyd Arabella Frua pics on this page are from my website www.pietro-frua.de/1959_lloyd.htm.

Stefan Dierkes
    Registro Pietro Frua
    Sehr gehrter Herr Stefan Dierkes,
    Ich schoen gesuch(oder besuch) ihre web site,aber ich kan nicht verstehn:'Warum' sie machen das zu (oder:Sehr)schwere zu'right click' ueber der ganze bilder(oder;bildung)?,Als sie koenen schoen gesehen,ich bin eine sehr'enthusiastic' mensch,wenn ist komt nach (oder zu)dem historisches wagens,LKW,und omnibussen auch,und dann ist gibt zu viel zeit zu machen'print screen',Kan (koenen)Sie sehr bitte schoen,machen'nicht vrerbotten'und'nicht verschlossen'(zu machengeoffen/offen der schliessel) fuer die ganze komunitate von der bilder c
    kollektors(Ich machen eine sehr gross kolektion)?,and macht ganze bilder,nicht 'geschlossen',aber 'zu'als; 'zusamen'?!
    Vielen Danken!(was ich vragen/fragen Sie ist:ganze leute im der welt muss arbeit zusamen fuer eine besser welt)!.
    mit herzlisches gruessen
    der bilder kollektor!(ich weiss meine Deutsche ist nicht die beste,oder perfekt,nur sehr wenig,aber ich glaub,sie koenen vehrstehnen mich!),Gott zu danke!.
    'Midnight Flyer'Eine kollektor von bilder ueber ganze Transport Maschinen(Als:Jeder typen:Wagens,PKW,LKW,Omnibussen,Landwirtschaft Maschinen,und Schlepperen,Konstruktion transport maschinen,Industrien Transportation auch,Kranen,Bahnen,Lokomotiven,Tramway oder Strassen bahnen,Fahrzeugen und Karrosserien,Gelandwagen,Panzer,Militarische und Polizei,und Spezial transport maschinen.
    Last edited by Ali Baba; 04-22-2006 at 10:29 PM.
    Poppies.popies.Popayan!

ik bedanke!

Quote Originally Posted by henk4

The German company Lloyd, part of the Borgward group, was known for making small two-cylinder engined cars of mediocre quality. A very famous saying in Germany at that time (the fifties) was: Wer den Tod nicht scheut, faehrt Lloyd (Could be translated as: He who is not afraid to die drives a Lloyd).
    The Lloyd Alexander was the a small two door car with suicide doors capable of doing somewhat over 100 kph.
    Nevertheless even Pietro Frua saw some potential in the car and according to his design 49 coupes were created, fitted with a 600 cc, 30 bhp engine, 5 more than the standard version. With a kerb weight of under 600 kg, the car could reach a 120 kph, not really so bad.

Very few of these cars have survived, and in 2003 two of them were brought to Schwetzingen, for the Concours d’ Europe.
    Heer van(te) Nederland!:
    The images of this beautifully restored car're delightful,Do you notice similarity to'Renault'caravelle in the general design aspects?.
    Poppies.popies.Popayan!

[QUOTE=Ali Baba]Sehr gehrter Herr Stefan Dierkes,
    Ich schoen gesuch(oder besuch) ihre web site,aber ich kan nicht verstehn:'Warum' sie machen das zu (oder:Sehr)schwere zu'right click' ueber der ganze bilder(oder;bildung)?

Hello,

it´s a matter of international copyright. Please contact me privately via the mail address published on my website for more information.

Stefan Dierkes
    Registro Pietro Frua

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Baba
    Do you notice similarity to'Renault'caravelle in the general design aspects?.
    This is not by chance because Pietro Frua is the designer of both cars.

Stefan Dierkes
    Registro Pietro Frua

Thread Information