Thread: Buick Century Caballero 1958

Buick Century Caballero 1958

While station wagons were quite common during the fifties, there were some more remarkable designs, whereby a 4-door hardtop design (no B-pillar) was used to give the that extra sporty look. The design was more or less simultaneously introduced in 1956 by Rambler (the first product of the new AMC group) for the 1957 model year, at the same time when Mercury introduced this body shape for all its wagons. General Motors followed with the Oldsmobile Fiesta and the Buick Century Caballero.
    Obviously it was not an overwhelming success, as the GM efforts only lasted two years, while Mercury stopped in 1960. After that the 4-door hardtop wagon was not offered by anybody anymore.

Shown here is a 1958 Buick Century (Series-60) Caballero, already looking very different from the 57 model, especially the front section changed completely. The engine choice was limited to one version only, a 364 cid V8, giving 300 BHP at 4600 revs.

Only 4456 Caballeros of the 1958 model year were produced, and they have now started to gain more interest. This car came to Holland in 1994, and was shown at the American Classic Concours, supporting the 2006 Concours d’Elegange at Het Loo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Ooooh buddy, you just hit on one of my absolute favorites. I love station wagons, and '58 GM vehicles, and the combo of the two is nothing short of miraculous to my eyes.

The '57 Buick Caballero, which I first saw on a website dedicated to vehicles from all marques from the year 1957, remains a car that's on the top of my list for family vehicles. Attached is a picture of it. Note the exposed rear wheel, another 50's sporty touch. Good catch, Henk!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Thread Information