Thread: Alfa Romeo Tipo 103

Alfa Romeo Tipo 103

Towards the end of the 1950’s Alfa Romeo was looking for a replacement of the Giulietta Sedan and even searched for a smaller car that could compete with the small Fiats like the immensely popular 1100.

Alfa was looking for something completely different and created a four door 3.60 meter long sedan, which technically was a long way ahead of the current bread and butter car. Underneath the car had a transversely positioned 900 cc DOHC engine under the front bonnet, which produced a healthy 52 BHP. It was designed with front wheel drive, using a full synchro four speed box and mimicking the drivetrain layout as first shown in the just introduced Austin and Morris Minis.

Outwardly it is immediately obvious that the later Giulia borrowed a few traits from this car, especially the front section, but also the glass house. Eventually it was decided not to continue with the development and to fully concentrate on the more upward market sections, although in 1967 the company took another look at the existing prototype. Eventually the first production FWD Alfa became the Alfasud, and this innovative car was left behind.

Only one prototype still exists, and it is on permanently display in the Alfa Romeo museum, where we shot the car in April 2006. Interestingly the identifying plate in the museum shows the car as originating from 1954, but real development only started in 1959.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I can't believe it is only is 3,6 metres long. This was technically ahead of the first front wheel drive Lancia, wasn't it (when was the first FWD prototype Lancia built?)?

Very interesting info Pieter.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 12-27-2006 at 01:29 PM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Alfa Romeo and Renault were co-operating in the early 1960s, weren't they?

But, being technically illiterate, the French misidentified Tipo 103's front end as a rear end - hence Renault 8 was born as we know it today

Thanks again, Pieter

I'll keep it serious.

Does anyone know when the first front wheel drive Lancia was projected/built?
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    I'll keep it serious.

Does anyone know when the first front wheel drive Lancia was projected/built?
    Probably the Fulvia Sedan

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=19709
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

My money is on Lancia Flavia, presented in 1960

Quote Originally Posted by Revo
    My money is on Lancia Flavia, presented in 1960
    The Flavia is the first production front driven Lancia, but my question is when was first developed or the first prototype built. As it's said in the article it took almost a decade to built Alfa Romeo's first production front wheel drive car, but the prototype is from the 50's. The question in truth is, who was first in FWD, Lancia or Alfa Romeo?
    Visca Catalunya!

Okay Ferrer, I did a little research on the subject.

Alfa Romeo's first attempt in FWD cars was so-called "Project 13-61" in 1952 [1]. Development of Lancia Flavia, Italy's first true production FWD car, started in 1957 [2] under prof. Antonio Fessia.

However, already in 1946 Fessia designed a FWD car for Cemsa, the famous Italian airplane builder who was trying to enter Italy’s post war car market [3]. Unfortunately, Cemsa Caproni never made it to production, only two were built.

Right, I won't dig any deeper. Hopefully your question was answered.

Sources:
    [1] http://alfasud.alfisti.net/ase.htm
    [2] http://www.lancia-historie.de/flavia_1960.html
    [3] http://www.velocetoday.com/infoads/infoads_03.php

Thanks, very interesting, however the Alfisti page quotes the volume of Tipo 103 as 1000 cc, but according to the museum description the volume is just under 900 cc. Shots of the Tipo 103 there were also taken in the museum.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo
    Okay Ferrer, I did a little research on the subject.

Alfa Romeo's first attempt in FWD cars was so-called "Project 13-61" in 1952 [1]. Development of Lancia Flavia, Italy's first true production FWD car, started in 1957 [2] under prof. Antonio Fessia.

However, already in 1946 Fessia designed a FWD car for Cemsa, the famous Italian airplane builder who was trying to enter Italy’s post war car market [3]. Unfortunately, Cemsa Caproni never made it to production, only two were built.

Right, I won't dig any deeper. Hopefully your question was answered.

Sources:
    [1] http://alfasud.alfisti.net/ase.htm
    [2] http://www.lancia-historie.de/flavia_1960.html
    [3] http://www.velocetoday.com/infoads/infoads_03.php
    Thank you very much indeed Revo

That will help settle big arguments I had about why should Lancia go RWD again and not only Alfa Romeo...
    Visca Catalunya!

I have a strange feeling something's been missing in this thread... Ah, why do I bother, it'll probably be deleted anyway...
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel
    I have a strange feeling something's been missing in this thread... Ah, why do I bother, it'll probably be deleted anyway...
    It was decided to keep this thread on track, and although you hunted down the culprit pretty nicely, it failed to contribute to the subject...

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    It was decided to keep this thread on track, and although you hunted down the culprit pretty nicely, it failed to contribute to the subject...
    Actually, I don't mind. I'm just not used to the useless posts being deleted. If we try to stick to this rule, about 1/3 of the whole forums content should be deleted.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel
    Actually, I don't mind. I'm just not used to the useless posts being deleted. If we try to stick to this rule, about 1/3 of the whole forums content should be deleted.
    you know, I totally agree with you.

more five, is not easy found photos of this car in the web, I think...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I don't take any photo, just collect in all the web and share"

Thread Information