Thread: Witton Special

Witton Special

The Canadian LFH Witton produced a number of smaller engined "basement" cars, which culminated in his 1959 Corvette powered sportscar shown here. The car was presented during the 2005 and 2006 Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca, and rather then copying the words the owner had put so nicely on a plaque next to the car, I just added the text in the first picture...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Witton Special

I love the Witton Special.

Nice car

I have a question tho. because its right hand drive was this produced in Europe?

It's probably because most circuits turn clockwise. I just talked to pokey, and we think that it's better to be on the inside (so right if you're going clockwise). This would mean that the weight is better balanced, as if you are turning right more than left, then the weight of the car is gonna be on the left most of the time - unless the driver sits on the right.

Is this right?

It's probably because most circuits turn clockwise. I just talked to pokey, and we think that it's better to be on the inside (so right if you're going clockwise). This would mean that the weight is better balanced, as if you are turning right more than left, then the weight of the car is gonna be on the left most of the time - unless the driver sits on the right.

Is this right?
    That makes sence. Thanks

When a track is being run clockwise, RHD also gives you a better view of the inside of the corner. Very few tracks are being run anti-clockwise, Laguna Seca and Imola being two examples.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

As for very few tracks running counterclockwise, that's not really true when you look at motorsport as a whole. NASCAR racing runs counterclockwise, and I'd imagine the lower levels of oval racing would too, and as the US is so large in area and population (and racing is so popular), I'd say a size able amount of race tracks are run counterclockwise.

Makes sense as the US sits on the left.

As for circuit racing I wonder why they are clockwise. It may be because (and this is just a guess - someone with a better knowledge of racing history may know) early circuits and racing were popular in Britain (Brooklands being one) and as the Brits drove on the left, this became the standard for Europe somehow.

That's a stab in the dark though, and could be completely wrong.

Any ideas?

Thread Information