Thread: H-Bomb, 1961

H-Bomb, 1961

Dan Odenborg was a racing driver who was mainly active in the American club scene and digging into old racing results show him as having driven a Lola of some sort, but any other info would be more than welcome

At the 2005 Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca, the crowds were surprised by the appearance of what is probably one of the smallest racing cars around, and surely one of the least comfortable. It turned out to be a contraption designed and built by Odenburg in 1961, and being fitted with a 750 cc Mercury outboard boat motor, it competed in the Modified class H, (500-750cc) which would also explain the name of the car. Otherwise it does not really look explosive.

In Monterey the car was driven by James Jessup, who surely must have had some trouble to get himself in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Ahahah, awesome, I must say. How tall is Jessup?
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    Ahahah, awesome, I must say. How tall is Jessup?
    sizeable...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

That brought a smile to my face. Probably one of the most awesome racecars ever. Can you imagine having something like a Dodge Charger in your rear view mirror when racing that?!

Speaking of petite ballistics, mind if I throw in this little pic? IIRC it's Smokey Yunick's Indy 'Sidewinder' the 1964 Floor Shift Special

dude, i need to get one of those... i can't see that as being anything but fun.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Speaking of petite ballistics, mind if I throw in this little pic? IIRC it's Smokey Yunick's Indy 'Sidewinder' the 1964 Floor Shift Special
    I was actually more impressed by this one, the original lowline Shadow V8, pedals spread out horizontally, no space to hang them....and no way you can get out of it without taking body parts away..
    Please also note the flame thrower next to the guy's head.
    Last edited by henk4; 01-10-2007 at 11:07 AM.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    and no way you can get out of it without taking body parts away..
    Hence this is the original driver, still in the car since production, now part of the display XD
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

With no offense to the creators and designers of the car, it looks like of those cars you see as a kid when you go to the circus...

Quote Originally Posted by Wenkel View Post
    With no offense to the creators and designers of the car, it looks like of those cars you see as a kid when you go to the circus...
    motor racing is a circus.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wenkel View Post
    Doesn't it just.

Are these some attempt at a designer trying to be different and thus making a unpractable / unsafe race car? Or are they just made for Midgets/kids?
    UP THE BORO!!!!

Thread Information