Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > Technical forums

Old 08-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Enthusiast

Carthage, MO. US
Send a message via MSN to 70cuda88
Cold Air Intakes and Performance Chips

I've been looking into both of these things, but have found little customer reviews. Has anyone used, or know someone personally that has used products like these. Including Cold Air Intake, Performance chips, Oxygen performance models, ect. Do these really result in the increase they advertise?

If anyone has, please include the product information. And of course whether it's what they say it is.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Deerfield Beach, Florida
Send a message via MSN to Niko_Fx
You have to look for information that is backed up by dyno tests. According to ebay or any online store, a CAI will increase your Civic's power by 10hp (or even more) when it probably is like 2-3hp.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Fanatic

Southeast US
Cold Air Intakes and Performance Chips = 1,000 HP.

Just ask anyone who's installed them.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Super Mullerator

USA, Colorado,
It also depends if your running a turbo car or n/a. I noticed large improvements with a simple SRI (short ram intake) which is similar to a CAI.

With chips all I have to say is that you get what you pay for.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Enthusiast

Wishing I was in Moscow, Idaho
I've seen a couple K&N cold air intakes installed, and they worked well, but it doesn't automatically turn your car into a monster.

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis
Old 08-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Fanatic

NEW YORK
Send a message via AIM to baddabang Send a message via MSN to baddabang
A CAI or SRI will give you a few extra HP if you are lucky. It will however help with throttle response and fuel economy. Plus it makes a cool noise. As for chips the only experience I have is for turbo diesel applications, banks power and bulldog chips for example.

If you do get yourself a CAI be sure to get yourself a hydroshield, and depending on the location and the height of your car avoid big puddles.

INJEN Hydro-Shield Pre-Filter | Air Filter Water Shield | Injen Air Intake Systems
cause i got it on my hands
Old 08-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Super Mullerator

USA, Colorado,
Current config - I know my engine bay is pretty terrible right now. The sound is really nice though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (170.8 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg photo1.jpg (136.2 KB, 165 views)
Old 08-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Enthusiast

New York City
i put a ztube in the G35. it removes the stock sound baffle on the intake. i also put in a k&n drop in filter. the sound it makes is sooo sweet now. might get a little bit more power but nothing you can notice.
03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
10 BMW 335d
12 Audi Q5 2.0t
10 VW Jetta TDI
11 Ducati Monster 796
Old 08-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Flat Out

Kyushu
Send a message via AIM to cmcpokey Send a message via MSN to cmcpokey Send a message via Skype™ to cmcpokey
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
i put a ztube in the G35. it removes the stock sound baffle on the intake. i also put in a k&n drop in filter. the sound it makes is sooo sweet now. might get a little bit more power but nothing you can notice.
yeah, i need one of those, along with a motordyne spacer and MREV-II
Old 08-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Furniture

brisbane - sub-tropical land of mangoes
Send a message via MSN to clutch-monkey
most modern N/A cars seem to do fine with just a panel filter in stock box or whatever the hell, i don't really care/know much about it because i plan to skip that step and just jump straight to ITB's and trumpet intakes lol
Old 08-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda88 View Post
I've been looking into both of these things, but have found little customer reviews. Has anyone used, or know someone personally that has used products like these. Including Cold Air Intake, Performance chips, Oxygen performance models, ect. Do these really result in the increase they advertise?

If anyone has, please include the product information. And of course whether it's what they say it is.
I have a short ram intake from Jim Wolf Technology. It came with a heat shield. So far, I have been pleased with it. I also replaced the inefficient baffles in the G-35 Coupe with a z-tube which allows the air to flow more efficiently into the runners. I also included a 5/16" spacer for the top intake plenum and also added a better runner or mrevII. Then I went ahead and added a catalytic back exhaust. I also changed the timing of the car by advancing it a few degrees forward. I also went ahead and switched my oil to Royal Purple. I am getting ready in a few months to replace my headers with Strupp headers and hopefully with new cams for the intake and exhaust.

The debate over the benefits of a long tube CAI and a short ram intake, continues to rage on. Both will work just fine. Injen is known for their CAI, so take a look at them. Jim Wolf is known for their short ram intake systems and their clutch/turbo systems. I chose a short ram because i didn't want to deal with the issue of water getting into the intake by accident. Short ram avoids this problem.

Not all cold air intakes are the same. Some will improve throttle response, while some will actually give you some real horsepower. Some will rob your car of power and torque. My beleif is that K&N drop in filter, will work just fine, if you are not sure about the intake to buy. I use K&N drop in filter in my Nissan B13. It works just fine.

At most, a good intake will give you about 5 horses. Some will actually take away power from your car. If you add a catback exhaust and use some premium oil, you may see those numbers approach 10 horses. I can't imagine adding a cold air intake without a catback exhaust. By the way, when you complete these modifications, you may notice a small improvement in gas mileage. My gas mileage improved by about 1 - 2 mpg on the highway.

I have done other things to the car which have helped in small ways. Oh, when you install your short ram or long tube cold air intake, and if you have a self-learning OBD II computer as your ECU, make sure you take it to the dealership so that they reset the self-learning mode and throttle position modes. If you don't do this, your ECU will have a hard time compensating for the additional air being drawn into combustion chamber. In fact, a cold air intake does make your car run a little lean. However, most engines can safely run up to 10% above the normal air fuel ratio in the lean direction or 10% the other way in the rich direction.

Last edited by G35COUPE; 08-24-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
most modern N/A cars seem to do fine with just a panel filter in stock box or whatever the hell, i don't really care/know much about it because i plan to skip that step and just jump straight to ITB's and trumpet intakes lol
How is the ITB supposed to help the reliability of the engine if it avoids the use of filters? Does the ITB have a way of screening out the dust and dirt in the air? What about the cost of ITB's, are they worth it----I understand some can cost as much as $1,500 or more. Is there real improvement in performance using ITBs and will the ECU require reprogramming or the use of a piggy-back system?

I once took a look at ITBs and I withdrew from that thought because of its non-filter use.

Last edited by G35COUPE; 08-24-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Furniture

reliability? who cares? lol
if i'm that worried i'll just throw the sock filters on. have to retune ECU anyway, so no biggie.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
reliability? who cares? lol
if i'm that worried i'll just throw the sock filters on. have to retune ECU anyway, so no biggie.

LOL! I love that. You are a real trooper. Thats the same attitude I have when i get possessed at least once a week by the demons in my car to rev up to 7,000RPM in 4th and 5th gear. LOL! Hahahaha! Awesome!!! I understand completely.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Furniture

i figure, if i have to do something or replace something anyway, might as well chump up the cash to take it a bit further LOL