Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > Classic cars

Old 08-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Rookie

where the oranges grow
Any suggestions for classic car movies?

That is, car movies that are classic.

I just watched the original The Italian Job and The Gumball Rally and was wondering if there are any other classic cat movies that you guys would recommend.

I didn't care that much for The Italian Job. I thought the story was pretty flat and I didn't see what was so special about the main character, Charlie Coke. I was also sad to watch a Miura, Aston Martin DB4, and two XKEs get destroyed. (I later found out that none of them were actually damaged beyond the point of full repair.)

In comparison, I liked The Gumball Rally a lot. It was a lot more fun and both the acting and the film making made the story much more relatable. I also think the 365 GTS/4 Daytona is my new favorite car (which is unfortunate since they start at around $900,000).

I was hoping to use these two movies as a diving point. Do you guys have any suggestions?
Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
There was ACTING in the gumball rally movie ? Must have blinked and missed it

I guess you had to understand London cockney jack-the-lads and criminal gangs to understand Charlie

Before answering , what do you think MAKES a "classic" ?
THe acting comment confused me
Old 08-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Rookie

where the oranges grow
Maybe it was less the acting in Gumball than it was the characters themselves to whom I could relate.

The characters in Italian Job just seemed flat in comparison. I felt like they never showed me a reason to believe that Coke was a world class thief. He just seemed like a stereotypical 1970s English dandy to me. One of my favorite movies is Layercake which, although being from a different generation, features several statesmen-like, even lordly English criminals similar to Mr. Bridges. But I felt the characters in Layercake had a lot more depth.

By "classic", I guess I mean car movies that are some combination of: 1)pre-1985, 2)cult classics, 3)movies that seem like 90% or more of the budget was spent on car chases, and 4)movies with unsuccessful remakes made in the early 2000s.

The original Gone in 60 Seconds--another of my favorites--is a perfect example of all four of these criteria.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Rookie

where the oranges grow
So I guess acting isn't a criteria. But I think you can have good characters and a good story without necessarily having "good" acting. I think the key is that they are believable and relatable.

Last edited by demonrunning07; 08-01-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:01 PM
It is one.

Sydney, Australia
Send a message via MSN to pimento
On the flip side, I found the original Gone in 60 Seconds rather boring. Have you tried Death Race 2000? Also, obligatory Vanishing Point/Bullitt mentions.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Ronin.

And who cares about pre-1985.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Enthusiast

Way Down South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
Ronin.

And who cares about pre-1985.
Uhhh, just about all the classic "car" movies worth watching were made before 1985.

Quality contemporary flicks include Ronin and Worlds Fastest Indian, but the remakes of the Italian Job and Gone in 60 Seconds were pretty weak. See the originals. No comment on fare such as Fast & Furious or Herbie Rides Again.

There are way too many classic "car" movies to list (some great, others not so much but still popcorn worthy), so in no particular order...

Bullit
Winning
LeMans
Grand Prix
Speedway
The Great Race
Vanishing Point
Sugarland Express
The Yellow Rolls-Royce
Race With The Devil
The Crowd Roars
Maniacs on Wheels
American Grafitti
Two-Lane Blacktop
Indianapolis Speedway
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry
Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill! Kill!
Grand Theft Auto
The Goddess
The Driver
Mad Max
Spinout

EDIT: Isn't there another thread about this already?

Last edited by csl177; 08-01-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Rookie

where the oranges grow
Quote:
Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
I did check and I didn't find anything. But it is quite possible that didn't really know where/how to look.

Either way, thanks for all the help! At the rate I watch movies, that list should keep me busy for a fair amount of time And I agree that most of the more recent car movies that come to mind are pretty disapointing. I will have to take a look at Ronin, though. And come to think of it, the original Herbie was actually pretty good...for a kid's movie. It definitely helped fuel my blossoming passion for cars when I was a kid.

I've seen Death Race 2000. I'll admit that it was entertaining but mostly just because it was so comically bad. And because I was 14 and there were b∞bies!

And what about the 1954 The Fast and the Furious? Does anyone know if that one is worth watching?

Last edited by demonrunning07; 08-01-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Novice

Would Smokey and the Bandit be considered a classic?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Enthusiast

Way Down South
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrunning07 View Post
I did check and I didn't find anything. But it is quite possible that didn't really know where/how to look.
My bad, also did a search without success... likely on another forum I frequent.
Quote:
I've seen Death Race 2000. I'll admit that it was entertaining but mostly just because it was so comically bad. And because I was 14 and there were b∞bies!
I love that flick! Pure over-the-top camp, ludicrous cars, plus hilarious violence AND boobies!
Quote:
And what about the 1954 The Fast and the Furious? Does anyone know if that one is worth watching?
Absolutely... it was on TCM not long ago, a typical '50s crime flick: protagonist innocent, escapes to prove same, hooks up / kidnaps hot chick with Jag. Some great cars and racing footage, dialogue of another era.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:48 AM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Uhhh, just about all the classic "car" movies worth watching were made before 1985.
My reference to the pre-1985 rule was about breaking it, not that there weren't any good car movies before 1985.
Quote:
I think so. I remember it as well.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:36 AM
Rookie

where the oranges grow
Quote:
Absolutely... it was on TCM not long ago, a typical '50s crime flick: protagonist innocent, escapes to prove same, hooks up / kidnaps hot chick with Jag. Some great cars and racing footage, dialogue of another era.
Well, that and Ronin will probably be the next two I watch because of the ones we mentioned I think they're the only two that I can stream from Netflix.

I saw Death Race on TCM a number of years ago, late late at night. But I was still pretty surprised (and excited) that they were allowed to show boobs. I also saw another one of the worst films (in my opinion) ever made at 3am on TCM. It was called Blood Freak. It was completely unrelated to cars and is about a drug user who turns into an evil, bloodthirsty turkey monster who goes on a rampage killing drug dealers as a result of eating an experimental genetically engineered turkey. Need I say any more?
Old 08-02-2011, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

Favourite Car Movies - Ultimatecarpage.com forums
Good Movies With Cars... - Ultimatecarpage.com forums
Which your movie of cars favorite? - Ultimatecarpage.com forums

The end list is always pretty much the one csl77 listed

Have to add Senna to it .... but most of it likely only makes good viewing if you followed F1 in the Balestre era !!

PS: Getting "excited" at the "boobies" flashed on Deathrace is bordering on unhealthy at your age
Old 08-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Rookie

where the oranges grow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
[url="http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6329"]PS: Getting "excited" at the "boobies" flashed on Deathrace is bordering on unhealthy at your age
I don't think I should have to explain my 14-year-old obsession with boobs.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

^^^ MY misread, was thinking you'd seen Deathrace 200 when released and you were 14 !

Thus a bit old to be "excited" by a flash of boobies,

but, I think I read it now that you are 14 .... forgiven .... but keep two hands on the keyboard

OR it coudl still be read that your obession with boobs has gone on now for 14 years

Tags
car movies, classic car movies, the gumball rally, the italian job