Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: she's..uh..small and white, and a deathtrap

lol i'll probably get sponsors from a beef company anyway through my course....

the car has standard ride height, and no power steering, and i like it that way very direct, easy to use, i love it.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Yeah I figured with the 993 engine in there the emissions wouldn't be a problem, I just remember when I was looking for a 911 my dad told me to steer clear of some of the 70's models (I want to say he said 74-80...?) because on the US models they were changing the emissions requirements to a ridiculous level, which rendered that era-US model 911 worthless.

Keep the martini livery though, kinda cool.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    Yeah I figured with the 993 engine in there the emissions wouldn't be a problem, I just remember when I was looking for a 911 my dad told me to steer clear of some of the 70's models (I want to say he said 74-80...?) because on the US models they were changing the emissions requirements to a ridiculous level, which rendered that era-US model 911 worthless.

Keep the martini livery though, kinda cool.
    i don't remember the emissions stuff, but i do remember '76-79 (i think) had magnesium in the engines or something, and are to be avoided? i'll check that for you, but there was definately a warning on late '70s 911's.

as for fit, i drove it a little more, and i could do with a bit more length in my legs i think and the gear stick is a bit far away at times! nothing noticeable when driving it, but during maneuvering i found myself grabbing air where i thought the gear stick was.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i don't remember the emissions stuff, but i do remember '76-79 (i think) had magnesium in the engines or something, and are to be avoided? i'll check that for you, but there was definately a warning on late '70s 911's.

as for fit, i drove it a little more, and i could do with a bit more length in my legs i think and the gear stick is a bit far away at times! nothing noticeable when driving it, but during maneuvering i found myself grabbing air where i thought the gear stick was.
    Nah It's fine, I only want a 1969.

And how tall are you?

Nah It's fine, I only want a 1969.

And how tall are you?
    about five and a half foot i think? under 6 ft easily, so i fit in there rollcage and all. just with all porsches it seems i need longer legs lol

Ah, well I'm 6'3" and I didn't fit in the least...devastating.

Looks like a nice buy, do you mind me asking how much it was?

Ah, well I'm 6'3" and I didn't fit in the least...devastating.
    i can imagine! have you talked to them about bolting the seat straight to the floor? i think cyco was looking at getting that done to something, gives an extra few inches space.
    Looks like a nice buy, do you mind me asking how much it was?
    to best give an idea of an equivalent cost over there, it was about the same cost as a new honda civic or vw golf here. basically more than i wanted to spend i'll be paying it off for awhile

i can imagine! have you talked to them about bolting the seat straight to the floor? i think cyco was looking at getting that done to something, gives an extra few inches space.

to best give an idea of an equivalent cost over there, it was about the same cost as a new honda civic or vw golf here. basically more than i wanted to spend i'll be paying it off for awhile
    I thought about it, or getting some sort of custom seat rail in a recessed portion of floor pan, and it's probably what I'll do.

I'm kicking myself right now for not buying it though. I could've gotten the car I'd been dreaming about since I was 4, for like $12,000 USD and now, a year later they're up around $20-25,000...

So I guess I'll just have to save up for a long long time.

What a beaut. Congratulations clutch, enjoy your new ride and always remember to keep it fresh.

Whatever that means.

I thought about it, or getting some sort of custom seat rail in a recessed portion of floor pan, and it's probably what I'll do.

I'm kicking myself right now for not buying it though. I could've gotten the car I'd been dreaming about since I was 4, for like $12,000 USD and now, a year later they're up around $20-25,000...

For the future, would you be willing to go with a 993? I fit in and drive my dad's comfortably and I'm 6'4 or so. Plus, they should either hold their value or lose their value further in the future, so it might be an option worth exploring.

Another thing to remember is that the 1969 911s aren't rustproofed, whereas the 993 was. Another thing my dad had to focus on.

A great purchase clutch, it'd better be at PI next year!

yeah, it can't be that hard to do, one of the mini's has it done (incidentally for sale, now...)

i know what you mean, 930 turbo's are way out of my reach now, they seem to be appreciating year by year - and 993's are very sought after, especially as they are the last of the air cooled etc etc. daan will have to hold onto his dad's 993

Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3 View Post
    Another thing to remember is that the 1969 911s aren't rustproofed, whereas the 993 was. Another thing my dad had to focus on.
    yes, not so much a problem for me but definately important
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3 View Post
    A great purchase clutch, it'd better be at PI next year!
    could be, actually! sponsorship and uni permitting

993's have always held their value extremely well. My dad sold his five year old 993 for about $55,000 when he bought it new for I think $75,000 or so...roughly 25% which isn't too bad for 5 years.

And Daan, must be something in the interior because the 993 and a 1969 911 have the same basic body shell, so they must have re-arranged the interior, but I remember even a 996 was small for me when I was looking for cars, I'm just all around big.

Plus the 1969 is kind of a sentimental thing for me. Plus being in Texas there's no snow so rust isn't a huge issue on old cars here.

i know what you mean, 930 turbo's are way out of my reach now
    speaking of 930's...you don't happen to get Excellence magazine do you?

Plus the 1969 is kind of a sentimental thing for me. Plus being in Texas there's no snow so rust isn't a huge issue on old cars here.
    same not exactly cold climate...so was lucky this car has air con still!
    speaking of 930's...you don't happen to get Excellence magazine do you?
    no? but i do have a huge soft spot for 930 turbo's

Well it's a Porsche only magazine, give me a few minutes and I'll scan in this article about a 930 with RSR flares etc. It's probably the best looking 930 in existence.

Thread Information