Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 1949 BMW Veritas Cabriolet

YouTube video Hartung's last footage 1949 Veritas

Go to YouTube and search; Hartung3

This is the last ever video inside the Hartung Museum Glenview,IL filmed sometime in Aug 2011, the museum is no more. empty. finished. period.

The camera man finds the Veritas in all its dusty messy glory and really rolls some great footage. The Veritas is now inside a Huge Circus Tent waiting for its new collector to rescue her out of Glenview,IL and soon to the World stage.

49Veritas, I'm curious about your apparent obsession with this car. Spohn built several autos with similar features cribbed from Harley Earl, principally the tail. While I can appreciate it's rarity, to be blunt it's rather ungainly. What attracts you to it?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

1949 BMW Veritas Spohn new photo's of engine online

What a day to finally see the 1949 BMW powerplant
    Number 5098 Original engine # 97812 ~ 49,800 Kilometers
    And Yes the doors slid into the rear quarters
    See all the photo's on RM Auctions Auctions America by RM
    Lee Roy Hartung Collection Lot List is now online

The hood was closed for 41 years, glad its all there, imagine the sound when she fires up next year !

TBH, now seeing more pics of the car I have difficulties in joining you in your enthusiasm. Yes the BMW engine is original and will probably run. (like many in the 250 or so still existing 328s) but the body requires a very acquired taste, certainly compared to what Veritas themselves produced.
    It is unique, but I am inclined to say: thanks God. It was certainly not Spohn's best day in the office.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

It looks great in its dilapidated state, certainly much much better than a mintyfresh one.
    That said, those overhangs (and the rest of the proportions) are still pretty dreadful.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I agree, Henk and f6f, definately not one of Spohn better efforts. The headlight covers are interesting, but the front as a whole is hard to look at. The homebuilt quality and styling exagerations will be almost cartoonish when it's fully restored. I guess a few coachbuilt collectors are interested, but can't imagine extreme bidding competition for it.

49Veritas, are you sure about the doors sliding into the rear? The wheel well looks too close for that, and as the door handles are at the front, wouldn't work the other way like a Kaiser Darrin. Would like to see pics of them open, looks like suicide doors to me.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I agree with you Mcreis.Friends have no price because they are priceless things.

There is no way in the world those door can slide INTO the rear quarter panels gentlemen; there is a bare matter of inches prior to the wheel well. Now perhaps it is multiple hinged to slide along the outside of the quarter but without a carrier track for the weight of the steel door this would be a mechanical marvel. Unlikely also they would slide forward due to necessity of structural steel for the cowl. This is no fiberglass Kaiser Darrin.

There are to the best of my research only a small handful of postwar Spohn used-chassis customized cars (to owner taste) that still exist. I count four including one I own. Yes, there are numerous prewar Spohn bodied new-chassis coachbuilt cars. Granted the prewar styled cars, when Spohn had a staff exceeding 150 people including craftsmen and designers were superior to postwar efforts which combine owner-chosen design elements.

But should a Spohn build such as this particular Veritas be lost to a scratch re-body by modern craftsmen? I argue that it should not. It is an emBODYment of the owner's desires and Spohn Carosserie capability for the year it was built.

Keep in mind this is a 1949 Veritas chassis. In 1949 this model SP-90 would have had a Veritas-cataloged body by Spohn. It looked like several other Veritas 90s of the day. This car would have had to have gone BACK to Spohn after the 1951 Munich Auto Show where the GM /Harley Earl /Le Sabre concept car was shown. It was THEN that the owner asked for the customization to include the Le Sabre tail fins. Likely the body we view was crafted during 1952.

Someone is going to purchase this Veritas at the Hartung /Chicago auction in November. Full and proper diligent consideration must be given to whether the coachwork should be changed. Again, I contend IT SHOULD NOT.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by sanderson View Post
    I agree with you Mcreis.Friends have no price because they are priceless things.
    where did Hugo say that?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

anyone have pictures of the chassis by chance -- is it Veritas or BMW?

Quote Originally Posted by superleggera View Post
    anyone have pictures of the chassis by chance -- is it Veritas or BMW?
    the chassis number is Veritas, so unless they restamped an 85000 car, it should be a Veritas.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    the chassis number is Veritas, so unless they restamped an 85000 car, it should be a Veritas.
    Many chassis were restamped. I have one racecar here currently that is and have seen several others. Thus why looking for pictures of the frame itself (and suspension) and what the 85### section of the frame looks like.

Veritas was the work of Ernst Loof, Georg Meier and Lorenz Dietrich. Dietrich had worked for BMW, while Meier was a winner of the 1939 motorcycle Tourist Trophy, and Loof was also a motorcycle champ who had managed BMW’s sports department. After World War II, the trio decided to build a car based on BMW components. Since the Allied Forces occupying Germany would not allow the manufacture of engines larger than one liter, customers were to bring their own drivetrains, which would be installed at the factory in Hausern.

A road-going version of the Veritas was launched in 1949. Coupe, cabriolet and sports roadster styles were available, all bodied by Hermann Spohn Karosseriebau of Ravensburg, whose work was principally found on Maybach chassis. Engines were from BMW, either stock or modified 326
    units or powerplants from the 328. BMW objected to the use of their name on cars not of their manufacture, so the cars were soon rebadged simply as Veritas.

Spohn became enamored of Harley Earl’s Le Sabre concept car and turned out several custom cars with Le Sabre-type rear fins and taillights. This all-original example is believed to have been returned to Spohn for such modifications, which included installation of fender skirts. It was also fitted with an upper grille assembly in the nose.

In time-warp overall condition, the Hartung Spohn is a truly a barn find car and remains entirely original, waiting for its next owner’s enthusiastic direction.

Does anyone know the purchaser of the Hartung Spohn Custom Veritas? If the plans are to replace the custom work with a more race-oriented body version, there are Spohn Custom owners interested in the throw-aways.

Thread Information