Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: a nice sportscar w/out the high price.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks View Post
    Its a Fiat, I dont care.
    Does the words 124 Abarth Rallye mean anything to you? I'm sure not.

I know about the ITR, its pretty much a race preped grocery getter, Im not denying its a good performer, but that doesnt make it a sports car.
    Not really. The Integra Type R is a very specificaly engineered sports coupé. It's a very radical kind of car, with no resemblance to a grocery getter. It's in fact a no-compromise car. At least make some research before replying. Your lack of automotive culture should stop you from entering this discussions.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I just came across this

Fundamentalism In A Nutshell Award
    "There are a lot of things I have concluded to be wrong, without studying them in-depth. Evolution is one of them. The fact that I don't know that much about it does not bother me in the least."
    AV1611VET, Christian Forums [Comments (81)] 2006-Sep-12

funny to see Slicks posting his eternal wisdom on religuous forums too...
    You need to lean to take a joke old timer.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis View Post
    Does the words 124 Abarth Rallye mean anything to you? I'm sure not.
    Read above. You guys make it too easy, I stir the pot a little and it turns into a hurricane

Not really. The Integra Type R is a very specificaly engineered sports coupé. It's a very radical kind of car, with no resemblance to a grocery getter. It's in fact a no-compromise car. At least make some research before replying. Your lack of automotive culture should stop you from entering this discussions.
    This is a grocery getter:

Your crazy if you don't think it resembles the Type R version.
    A "no compromise" (track)car IMO wouldn't be FWD...

It might resemble it yes:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia Integra page
    The Type R was the pinnacle of the Integra line. It had many exclusive features found on no other Integra.

The Type R's B18C5 engine contained more key differences than just some manual assembly steps and an increased redline. The B16A's cylinder head returned, with differently shaped combustion chambers and intake ports compared to the regular B18C in the GS-R. Molybdenum-coated, high compression pistons and stronger-but-lighter connecting rods strengthened the reciprocating assembly. Extra counterweighting on the crankshaft altered its vibration modes to enhance durability at high RPM. The intake valves were reshaped with a thinner stem and crown that reduced weight and improved flow. The intake ports were given a minor port and polish. Stiffer valve springs resisted float on more aggressive camshafts. Intake air was now drawn from inside the fender well, for a colder, denser charge. That intake fed a short-runner intake manifold with a larger throttle body for better breathing. An improved stainless steel exhaust collector with more gentle merge angles, a change to a larger, consistent piping diameter, flared internal piping in the muffler allowed easier exit of gases. A retuned engine computer also contributed to improve power output, which allowed the Type R to accelerate from 0 to 60 MPH in 6.5 seconds.

The transmission was upgraded with lower and closer gear ratios in second through fifth gears, in order to take advantage of the additional rev range. The North American version retained the same 4.4 final drive throughout the Type R's production run, unlike the Japanese version, which in 1998 changed to a 4.785 final drive along with revised gearing. The GS-R's open differential was replaced with a torque-sensing limited slip type.

The chassis received enhancements in the form of reinforcements to the rear wheel wells, roof rail, and other key areas. "Performance rods", chassis braces that were bolted in place, were added to the rear trunk wall and rear subframe. The front strut tower bar was replaced with a stronger aluminum piece. Camber rigidity was improved at the rear by increasing wheel bearing span by 10 mm. The Type R's body also received a new functional rear spoiler, body-colored rocker panels, and 5-bolt hubs with special lightweight Type-R wheels. Under those wheels was a much larger set of disc brakes, front and back. The tires were upgraded to Bridgestone RE010 "summer" tires.

The Type R received very aggressive tuning in its suspension settings. All soft rubber bushings were replaced with much stiffer versions, as much as 5.3 times higher in durometer readings. The springs and dampers were much stiffer, with a 10 mm reduction in ride height. The rear anti-roll bar diameter was increased to 22 mm in diameter. The front anti-roll bar retained the same size, although the end links were changed to a more responsive sealed ball joint as opposed to a rubber bushing on the lesser models. The result was a chassis with very responsive, racetrack-ready handling that ably absorbed mid-corner bumps. Mild oversteer was easy to induce with a lift of the throttle, and during steady-state cornering the car maintained a slight tail-out stance.

The interior was stripped down to reduce weight. The air conditioning system was removed in early models and nearly all the sound-dampening material was eliminated. This provided for a much noisier ride, but since the Type-R was marketed as a race car for the street, most owners didn't mind.
    Honda Integra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki Type R page
    An interesting and little publicised fact about the 1996-2001 DC2 Type R is that Honda lost money on every single vehicle sold, even though extra dealer markups sometimes made for excessive dealer profit. Honda produced the DC2 Type R for homologation purposes to meet FIA certification of the motor and the chassis changes to make the car more competitive in N-series and World Cup racing. The details required, hand tooling in early versions and finishing the product through the use of various small fabrication shops in Japan made for increased costs in manufacture that could not be made up in the list price of the vehicles. Honda (and Acura in the US) deemed the car important for the marque's image and important for the racing programmes of the era, and the parent company therefore accepted a financial net loss on each vehicle sold.
    Honda Type R - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This:

resembles this:

Hardly the same though are they?

http://www.ppg.com/NEXAAUTOCOLOR/news/Triple8car.jpg

You were saying?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

I agree with everything, except the no compromise front wheel drive racing car. Those cars posted are infact compromised track cars because they have to retain the layout of their road going counterparts. In fact rear driven touring cars have a higher weight limited to try and compensate.

In any other formula in which freedom of layout is allowed cars are rear wheel drive or (sometimes) four wheel drive, as far as I can remember.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    In any other formula in which freedom of layout is allowed cars are rear wheel drive or (sometimes) four wheel drive, as far as I can remember.
    my thoughts exactly, without lineage to production/homologation cars they would make less sense. I have no doubt that these cars are great though. Thinking about the focus RS (ie mk1) and its clever diff - that made it superb on a track but scary on b-roads therefore giving me an idea of how racing fwd might be compromised for practical use.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    then go back a bit further and look for the French Monomilles
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Improved Production Racing Association(IPRA) in Australia, the class we race in if its FWD, RWD or AWD there is no restrictions for the drive layout as long as it came out of the factory eg Lancer Evo AWD ok, Honda Civic FWD ok etc.

Also GT Production cars here have no restrictions regarding driving wheels, Nations Cup also here has no restrictions regarding driving wheels.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Viper007 View Post
    You may want to go over to corvetteforum.com and see if anyone has any information on any car you want to buy. Some times it can be helpful and other times you will have no luck. Can't wait to see pictures.
    Thanks, Viper007. I'll check it for some info. on things to look for when buying corvette.

Congradulations on the C5, I came very close to getting one my self. Instead I opted for a low milage 3rd gen RX-7, but I definatly will have a Vet in the garage one day.

Which transmission are you going with?

Does it have a HUD?

Read above. You guys make it too easy, I stir the pot a little and it turns into a hurricane

sure the itr uses the same chasis as the base integras but its an entirely different cat. like the bmw m3 compared to the base ones. the itr has the b18c5 1.8lr motor that produces 190hp vs the base ones producing only about 140. the itr has bare necessities so i wouldnt even call it a grocery getter. no a/c and no power moonroof was taken out for weight savings. also the stiffer suspension and body makes the type r nothing close to a grocery getter. get ur facts str8. btw the the difference in looks of the itr and base teg is that the itr has no side moldings, the itr has the itr spoiler, and the type r has the itr lip. and of course the wheels and 5lug pattern.

Thread Information