Thread: BMW SMG Tranny

BMW SMG Tranny

I was just looking at some pictures and I saw a BMW with an SMG. I guess the way the System works is, its not like a Porsche Tiptronic or anything like that. Correct me if im wrong, cause im learning about it as we speak but the way the tiptronic is

P
    R
    N
    D -

+

But the way I saw the BMW SMG was like this

R
    | -
    -N-D
    +
    So i guess its like a Formula BMW Sequestial right except with paddles.
    I race for Formula 1200 but we use a 4Spd. Just my question is i guess theres no park and no auto mode? Or can u put it in auto?

well Tiptronic S in the 911 the Manual position the control is by the steering wheel.

BMW SMG once in manual/sport position the gearstick can be used for sequential shift.
    The park is a seperate button on the gearstick.

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    The thread title worried me for a second. The abbreviation is not one I thought I'd see on UCP.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

^^^^ I used to think so too ....

Quote Originally Posted by kylekosir View Post
    I was just looking at some pictures and I saw a BMW with an SMG. I guess the way the System works is, its not like a Porsche Tiptronic or anything like that. Correct me if im wrong, cause im learning about it as we speak but the way the tiptronic is

P
    R
    N
    D -

+

But the way I saw the BMW SMG was like this

R
    | -
    -N-D
    +
    So i guess its like a Formula BMW Sequestial right except with paddles.
    I race for Formula 1200 but we use a 4Spd. Just my question is i guess theres no park and no auto mode? Or can u put it in auto?
    I had an M6 for three years, so I know all about this: R is reverse. N is neutral. From N push the stick over to the right once to D to put it in gear, push it over twice to put it in automatic mode. You can shift either by pushing the gear leaver back and forth or by using steering wheel paddles. To park the car you can put it in neutral, pull up the handbrake and turn the car off or leave it in gear (foot on the brake), pull up the handbrake and turn the car off.

I now have a Porsche Cayenne with Tiptronic and your diagram is correct. However, Tiptronic is just Porsche's fancy name for a 6-speed ZF automatic transmission, I should mention also it's probably the best automatic transmission I've ever driven. SMG was an actual manual transmission with a computer that worked the clutch and physically moved the gears. Frankly for anything other than highway or track use it was a terrible system (Ferrari's counterpart to SMG, F1, was better) and SMG is an engineering dead end. I have no doubt the future is is dual-clutch manual transmissions; BMW calls theirs DCT, Porsche calls it PDK, Audi calls it S-Tronic, Ferrari is just calling it F1. They're much smoother and better able to cope with urban and low speed driving, and soon they'll shift faster as well.

However, none of these will ever be as much fun as a clutch and an empty road.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by w.r. View Post
    the thread title worried me for a second. The abbreviation is not one i thought i'd see on ucp.
    Quote Originally Posted by matra et alpine View Post
    ^^^^ i used to think so too ....
    lmfao!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post

I now have a Porsche Cayenne
    what blasphemy is this?!

NicFromLA, I completely missed if you made any threads on your cars. Want to shoot me a link, I'm interested.

Quote Originally Posted by 092326001 View Post
    what blasphemy is this?!
    Exactly.

You are not going to be let off with at least an explanation of some sort.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I agree with Dual Clutch being the future, in our California the shifts are so quick its unbelievable, almost to the point that sometimes you wonder if youll miss them. However, it does take away from the driving experience, for example in the California it sometimes overrides when you try to downshift at low revs, which can be disappointing at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Exactly.

My main car now is a 1961 Porsche 356, but I needed a modern car for commuting. I was able to get my father's 2005 for a great price; it ain't pretty but the engineering is unbelievable. I figured I mine as well stick with the theme of VW based Porsches.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

My main car now is a 1961 Porsche 356, but I needed a modern car for commuting. I was able to get my father's 2005 for a great price; it ain't pretty but the engineering is unbelievable. I figured I mine as well stick with the theme of VW based Porsches.
    lol

So how are you liking the 356? I have always wondered about them but never been able to talk to anyone who owned one.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Alright I think that's a pretty good excuse...

As wwgkd said, how's the 356?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Alright I think that's a pretty good excuse...

As wwgkd said, how's the 356?
    Pretty amazing actually. It's a 1961 356B 1600S Roadster with a T6 body.

Let's start with the negatives: Having a car with no a/c in Southern California during a heatwave sucks, the radio is weak, putting the top up and down is a pain in the ass (but I'm getting better at it), drum brakes are inherently inferior to discs (even though these are excellent drums), however these are all realities of a car that is almost fifty years old. The car has a hard time holding it's idle when cold, but it's getting better and I hopeful in a few weeks that will go away. The only serious design flaw is that at night the illumination of the gauges reflects in the windscreen so I need to turn them all the way down in order to see where I'm going.

The Positives: First, the transmission is excellent, when you feel the gearshift you think it's going to be vague, but it's extremely precise, more precise than most modern cars; next, the car probably has the best clutch of any car I've ever driven. 75hp means I'm not winning any drag races and over 65mph I lose grunt, but between 5mph and 65mph I'm shocked how well I can keep up with most other cars; on a similar note, the mid-range torque is the perfect antidote to oversteer. The lightweight of course means excellent handling. Oh yeah, the girls love it.

Exactly.

You'll love what will join his stable next ...
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information