Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW M3 vs. Audi RS4, Your Comparison

BMW M3 vs. Audi RS4, Your Comparison

So guys I thought I'd make an easy one for you, Out of the 2 I would pick the BMW cause It's what BMW do, create sporty boxer racing cars for the road.

So you know, everyones view is different so let's hear it
    All bowlers need a 'Hammond Step-up'

"Do you think we'll actually find a communist Car that we actually like?" - James May

Both are good, though I'd probably settle on the M3 as well. No big reason for me apart from the fact that the M3 is rear wheel drive and the RS4 is 4WD. Nothing wrong with 4WD, I just prefer rear wheel drive.

I haven't driven the Audi, but I have driven the M3.

It was a very good car, it did everything it was supposed to do. It was fast, handled well, the steering was nicely balanced and the gearbox was nice. It was a saloon so you could almost mistake it for a sensible family saloon. And the noise was spectacular.

But it didn't impress me. Somewhat it left me a bit cold. Very, very capable car indeed, but the magic was gone a bit. The same day I also drove a 335i. And that really impressed me. Very fast, no turbo lag and much comfortable than the M3.

I don't really like Audis, so I'd go for the M3 with a manual gearbox. Altough in truth against the 335i the M3 is hard to justify.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Id get the RS4 Avant. Speed and practicality.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Altough in truth against the 335i the M3 is hard to justify.
    True, cause in all honesty it's not always the fastest and most powerful car that ends up being used everyday, mainly as just a play thing
    All bowlers need a 'Hammond Step-up'

"Do you think we'll actually find a communist Car that we actually like?" - James May

Quote Originally Posted by kentuki View Post
    True, cause in all honesty it's not always the fastest and most powerful car that ends up being used everyday, mainly as just a play thing
    And the 335i is probably almost as fast as the M3 in real life conditions. In fact:

M3 + 335i = Alpina B3. Which probably is about the best of both worlds. With more exclusivity to boot.
    Visca Catalunya!

I remember a local magazine doing a head-to-head comparison between the M3 and 335i. They performed the tests both at sea-level and places where the air is much thinner.

At sea level the difference was tangible with the M3 being the quicker car, but going more in-land there was virtually no difference between the two. If I remember correctly the 335i's in-gear (overtaking?) acceleration was actually better than the M3.

I heard some stories of the 335i's kW easily being upped to M3 levels with just an ECU swap, with N.m being much higher. Of course there goes your warranty if you do that, but still, kind of makes a good case for the next generation of M cars to go the turbo route.

Until Audi loses the AWD drivetrain which dictates the too far forward mounting of the engine making them nose heavy....I would always choose the M3 for performance.

RS4 weight distribution - F 58.3/R 41.7%

M3 weight distribution - F 51/R 49%

Both cars really really nice, tough choice.

Audi have (not sure about now) put the engines further forward to get as much cabin room as possible without lengthening the car, though i could be wrong.

And sure the M3 is the better perfoming car, but which would you live with as a daily driver?

Id go RS4 Avant as a daily driver, but the M3 for the weekends/track days.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Audi have (not sure about now) put the engines further forward to get as much cabin room as possible without lengthening the car, though i could be wrong.
    A pal of mine is an Audi mechanic, he says it's because of the drivetrain configuration. But cabin room could also be a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by acfsambo View Post
    And sure the M3 is the better perfoming car, but which would you live with as a daily driver?
    I doubt there's much difference between the M3 and the RS4 in terms of comfort.
    Visca Catalunya!

the Audi means no second car for winter driving up here
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

The RS4, i can't bring myself to like BMW lines these days, wich is a shame, i'd love an M3 or a 335i in 'old' E46 lines.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Audi RS4. Basically a Subaru STI or Lancer Evolution for rich people.

I’d go with M3 on this one even though I'm not a fan of either of them. I don't really take any car seriously as a road going sports car if it's AWD (excluding the Turbo), unless its ideal purpose is to go off road such as the STi or Evo. I can't picture rallying the Audi. However, the Audi makes sense if you live somewhere where there are seasonal weather changes.
    Last edited by LTSmash; 12-11-2008 at 08:27 AM.

Thread Information