Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Failed cars that shouldn't have

Where drug dealers and asian stores are born, California
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It wasn't the Cosworth. In fact the Merkur spec wasn't sold as an EDM Sierra. The Merkur basically was a turbocharged XR4i, so it was of course faster than it but not as focused as the full blown RS Cosworth.

As for the Scorpio, I'm not sure, but wasn't it just the regular V6, not the Cosworth?
    Okay I was wondering, I read some articles saying that the XR4Ti used a varient of the four used in the Ford Pinto.

I think the Scorpio used the cosworth, it used a 2.9 I'm not sure if there were two versions of it or not.
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

I think the XR4Ti used a variant of the 2.3L turbo 4 family that also gave us the Mustang SVO motor and the Thunderbird Turbocoupe motor. I believe all those engines trace back to the same roots as the SOHC motor used in the Pinto.
    Merkur XR4Ti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They were also guaranteeing a residual value if you bought a Merkur and then traded it in on another one later IIRC.

As Cyco suggested, I'd be inclined to nod in the McLaren F1's general direction. We all know it was and is a marvel, but the sales numbers just do not do it justice.
    I may have this a bit wrong, but sales numbers for it never really caught on, why I'll never know.

But oh well, I suppose those lucky and rich enough to own one are probably thankful it's as rare as it is as that just drives the price up on a daily basis.

And since it's going to die soon (or did already), I'll add the Viper. It probably does have its flaws, but I honestly think it deserved to live on. Smaller capacity V10 (say... 6 litres maybe?), better efficiency, improved build quality, who'd complain about something like that?

Others? Multipla, 928, CRX, Supra, RX7?

i have always been a fan of the Subaru SVX, and they are so very rare. it should have done a lot better, but it was too expensive and relatively slow out of the box.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Agreed on the SVX, pokey. Thought that was one of the most interesting cars of the period, and really made me notice Suburu. Undervalued now, maybe something to buy and enjoy? Same for another failure that shouldn't have been: VW's Corrado.
    Nearly every reviewer called it a winner but it didn't last 10 years, with perpetually slow sales.

As to the McLaren F1, at $1M per, how many were really gonna be built? See Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Ferrari specials, et., al.
    These things really shouldn't be considered part of the conversation.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Agreed on the SVX, pokey. Thought that was one of the most interesting cars of the period, and really made me notice Suburu. Undervalued now, maybe something to buy and enjoy? Same for another failure that shouldn't have been: VW's Corrado.
    Nearly every reviewer called it a winner but it didn't last 10 years, with perpetually slow sales.

As to the McLaren F1, at $1M per, how many were really gonna be built? See Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Ferrari specials, et., al.
    These things really shouldn't be considered part of the conversation.
    I give a third vote to the SVX I loved the styling it didn't look like anything on the road at the time (in a good way), it was slow and really heavy for it's size. The Corrado is just the business, it is one of the few interesting cars that had the VW badge imho.
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Same for another failure that shouldn't have been: VW's Corrado.
    The Corrado wasn't that bad, was it? At least in Europe.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The new one is pretty fast, and has sold quite well to the Middle East.

I agree about old Subies, the XT and SVX are quirkily great.

Saabs, Alfas, and all those other strange cars that car fetishists like us love.

Also, wagons in America, though I thoroughly hated my mom's Camry wagon. But, I believe that was more due to it being a Camry than a wagon.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Volvo's proper R range. Though that may also be down to engineering the later ones to be too hard but not really fast enough to warrant it.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Remember the thread ... the Corrado was a great car that shouldn't have failed. Being marketed in heavy company, the relatively high price hurt it in the USA. There were misunderstandings about the G-lader here, too. Go figure.

Remember the thread ... the Corrado was a great car that shouldn't have failed. Being marketed in heavy company, the relatively high price hurt it in the USA. There were misunderstandings about the G-lader here, too. Go figure.
    a car with a G-Spot???
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    a car with a G-Spot???
    Clever Dick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    a car with a G-Spot???
    Why am I confused now?

Clever Dick.
    I really don't want to make an ass of myself, ummm cutaway of a supercharger?
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by iwmakemh View Post
    Why am I confused now?

I really don't want to make an ass of myself, ummm cutaway of a supercharger?
    cut-away of a G-lader, a specific VW appendix, that failed to make more general use.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information