Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Exercising" the '66 Plymouth

"Exercising" the '66 Plymouth

I haven't started the '66 Plymouth Fury VIP (383-4 bbl) for two months so I figured I better drive it. Did that today (Friday, Jan. 6). It was a good opportunity to do a video of it "exercising." So, here it is. Left it in 1st gear for the entire burnout (speedometer going up to almost 40 mph). It was nice to hear the engine again at near full-throttle (didn't want to over-rev it).

Here is the link to the video: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlA4oJ4keww"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlA4oJ4keww[/ame]
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

I hope you had the oil warmed up sufficiently before departure
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I hope you had the oil warmed up sufficiently before departure
    Oh, definitely, henk. If anything, I wait more than necessary to warm up a car. For example, I drive it (and every car I own) gently for a few miles... even on a warm day. I can't believe some people run their car hard as soon as they drive it away (when first started).

For this video, I drove it in the neighborhood but two times. Drove it the first time then parked it in front of the house and stopped the engine (I wanted to check the oil level and power steering fluid). Then drove it again before shooting the video. You know, nothing has ever happened to an engine when I've done burnouts with my cars. Probably, as you said, making sure the engine is completely warmed up is a major reason why? Of course, having enough oil helps, too.

Anyway, this is probably why I've been getting about 10.2 mpg with this car. Good thing I've only put about 1,200 miles on it in the 2 and 1/2 years I've owned it!

Nice.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Very nice!

I always warm it up driving "granny style" under a light load. Not only does this warm the car up faster than letting it idle, it brings the oil pressure up too. You might be able to substitute holding the RPM's up as it sits, but nothing beats load. Also helps bring your trans up to temperature. Note: your engine oil takes longer to get up to temperature than the coolant. Allow an extra mile or two after your t-stat opens for the oil to warm.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Very nice!

I always warm it up driving "granny style" under a light load. Not only does this warm the car up faster than letting it idle, it brings the oil pressure up too. You might be able to substitute holding the RPM's up as it sits, but nothing beats load. Also helps bring your trans up to temperature. Note: your engine oil takes longer to get up to temperature than the coolant. Allow an extra mile or two after your t-stat opens for the oil to warm.
    Yes, good idea to make sure the transmission temp is also warm. I do know that in very cold weather, it can take quite a while for both the transmission and rear axle temp to warm to normal operating temp. It was about 75 degrees the day I did the burnout, so warm-up time didn't take long.

Good point about the coolant oil taking longer to warm than the coolant.

And thebrochureman, glad you like the video.

I think I will make one more. I know of a corner where the sun will be at a good angle. Next time I will position the camera well ahead of the car so I will be driving toward the camera. The, I better "lay low" for a while!

I got my parking pass yanked for a semester in high school because I was doing burnouts in my Mustang

I got my parking pass yanked for a semester in high school because I was doing burnouts in my Mustang
    Let's see... at my high school, there were plenty of students doing burnouts. Nothing much happened. Maybe a warning from a teacher. Never heard of a parking pass being yanked.

Rich kids there all had BMW's with traction control and not enough torque for that shenanigens anyway. A polluting, gas guzzling old Mustang was un-PC enough, even worse when it was decorating the lot with black streaks and tire smoke

Rich kids there all had BMW's with traction control and not enough torque for that shenanigens anyway. A polluting, gas guzzling old Mustang was un-PC enough, even worse when it was decorating the lot with black streaks and tire smoke
    Oh, that's why. Well, a lot of torque is helpful.

I think the next video I make will be much better because of the different angle I plan to do and the sun will be behind the camera. But it won't be for several days because the Santa Ana winds are blowing right now (those winds blow the tire smoke away very quickly).

I really should try to find some bias ply tires, maybe at a wrecking yard. It would really spin those tires!

Our government calls people who do that “hoons”. They have “hoon” laws that will result in you having your car confiscated and being fined for something like that. The law actually allows them to crush your car although I think they have only done it to repeat offenders. It is not enough for them to have speeding and dangerous driving laws in place because they need to appeal to the lowest common denominator ignoramus whose information and education is mainly derived from current affairs programs and shock jock radio announcers. It works well though as they have enough people swallowing this crap so that they can maintain these ridiculous laws. Basically where speeding offences and dangerous driving offences are specific and target particular offences anything can be labelled a “hoon” offence. A relatively insignificant spin of the wheels to 160kph street drags will all end up in the paper as “hoon” driving.
    I would like to see the stats for death and serious injury from a burnout such as that.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    Our government calls people who do that “hoons”. They have “hoon” laws that will result in you having your car confiscated and being fined for something like that. The law actually allows them to crush your car although I think they have only done it to repeat offenders. It is not enough for them to have speeding and dangerous driving laws in place because they need to appeal to the lowest common denominator ignoramus whose information and education is mainly derived from current affairs programs and shock jock radio announcers. It works well though as they have enough people swallowing this crap so that they can maintain these ridiculous laws. Basically where speeding offences and dangerous driving offences are specific and target particular offences anything can be labelled a “hoon” offence. A relatively insignificant spin of the wheels to 160kph street drags will all end up in the paper as “hoon” driving.
    I would like to see the stats for death and serious injury from a burnout such as that.
    Wow, good thing I wasn't speeding or driving dangerously!
    Just wait until you see my next video!

I don't know what the stats for are for burnouts, but it's certainly less than the stats for drunk drivers.

There are no kids doing burnouts at the collage i go to in England, although most have old FWD cars. Maybe the collage I go to is just boring.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    There are no kids doing burnouts at the collage i go to in England, although most have old FWD cars. Maybe the collage I go to is just boring.
    Kid doing burnouts was much more common at high schools than at collages.
    But it's not like it used to be because 40 or so years ago, there were many more RWD cars. And cars that made a lot of low-end torque. Oh, and bias-ply tires!

BTW, it's still windy here. All weekend, too. Have to wait before I make another video. Maybe on Wednesday!

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    Wow, good thing I wasn't speeding or driving dangerously!
    That’s just it. Hoon laws target everything the same way. And if the overlords say a burn out is dangerous, the wowsers will eagerly lap it up. Our governments play hard at making motorists who have a passion for cars and driving appear as freaks or outlaws.
    Our state government refuses to allow a private company to buy swamp land (out the back of a power station next to the river where they currently hold speedboat racing) to develop into a motorsport park including a drag strip. They view motor racing as a hoon sport. All except of course the V8 supercars series which they close the Eastern side of the CBD off for to race once a year. Its high profile and they get to put their idiot faces next to the drivers and dignitaries. Hypocrites.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    I don't know what the stats for are for burnouts, but it's certainly less than the stats for drunk drivers.
    lol, I don’t think there are stats for simple burnouts. I doubt anyone ever died from doing one.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Thread Information