6 21.43%
  • Ford GT40

20 71.43%
  • I would have neither

2 7.14%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford GT40 vs Ford GT

Ford GT40 vs Ford GT

I have been looking at both of these online. I am a big fan of vintage race cars, but there are a couple different companies now who are making the old style GT40 as a road leagle race car. These are going for about $80,000 - $130,000. This is by far cheaper than the new Ford GT however without all the luxories of the new one. I really want to get one of these. I am latterally leaning towards the new GT just because i plan to use it as a daily driver, but then again the old GT 40 is just so beautiful. Apart from the GT40 not having roll down windows, i can't make a decision. Which do you like better?

GT40

1966 Superformance GT40 2dr Coupe for Sale - 954315 - duPontREGISTRY.com

GT

2006 Ford GT for Sale - 958466 - duPontREGISTRY.com

i would personally take any of the better quality replicas of the original over the new one, even though it is as nice as it is.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Neither of these cars are at the top of my dream list, but if given the option I would prefer the older version. I feel the GT was just another supercar that did everything well but nothing about it was great, however the GT40 has a place in history that won't be soon forgotten.

but if i were to use it to take my wife to dinner, I think the GT is much nicer on the inside.

if it was such an issue with the wife we would take her car instead.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    if it was such an issue with the wife we would take her car instead.
    no way! my wife has no class when it comes to picking out cars! if it was up to her we would be rolling around in a ford fusion. That was her old car, she loved it, and i utterly despised its existence...

Maybe you can suggest her a new car...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Maybe you can suggest her a new car...
    That is true, I can pick a car for her, but I like to let her pick what she wants. I like both the GT40 and the new GT, I think as a daily driver I might lean more towards the GT but the GT40 would be just such a great track car! I can't afford to have both, so its one of those difficult choices...

Quote Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
    That is true, I can pick a car for her, but I like to let her pick what she wants. I like both the GT40 and the new GT, I think as a daily driver I might lean more towards the GT but the GT40 would be just such a great track car! I can't afford to have both, so its one of those difficult choices...
    does she get out of a car in the Britney Spears way?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    does she get out of a car in the Britney Spears way?
    l0l!! no... but lets leave her out of the equation. I just can't decide, i like both cars for different reasons. they both have good qualities. But it was between buying one of these or a 1989 Lamborghini Countach and i dunno, but im pretty sure i wouldn't be able to drive that every day!

Quote Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
    l0l!! no... but lets leave her out of the equation. I just can't decide, i like both cars for different reasons. they both have good qualities. But it was between buying one of these or a 1989 Lamborghini Countach and i dunno, but im pretty sure i wouldn't be able to drive that every day!
    Please realise that GT40 replicas have been with us since about the end of the production of the GT40 by Ford. GTD (I think thats is the company that bought the copyright for the GT40 name) and CAV in South Africa have been making these things for ages, so old replicas are now even asking commendable sums in their own right. Even now period GT40 racecars have been fitted with a CAV chassis to replace the original and they are allowed on the grids of the most prestigious historic races.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Please realise that GT40 replicas have been with us since about the end of the production of the GT40 by Ford. GTD (I think thats is the company that bought the copyright for the GT40 name) and CAV in South Africa have been making these things for ages, so old replicas are now even asking commendable sums in their own right. Even now period GT40 racecars have been fitted with a CAV chassis to replace the original and they are allowed on the grids of the most prestigious historic races.
    that is definitely a contributing factor. Jeremy Clarkson bought a Ford GT and he absolutely loved it, although the one he got broke down all the time, I hope they all aren't like that ,but would the GT40 be as reliable as the New GT? The one I am looking at has a Roush engine. I'd figure that would be reliable, but what about the rest of the car? If anyone here owns either of these please help me out with some info.

That's not really a 1966 car tho' and I'm confused how they get away with the title ?
    Superperformance are a good kit maker with a range of options.
    What year is the actual car ?
    At 1100 miles I'm guessing within last couple of years and so it's as reliable as a modern car as it's using modern parts
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    That's not really a 1966 car tho' and I'm confused how they get away with the title ?
    Superperformance are a good kit maker with a range of options.
    What year is the actual car ?
    At 1100 miles I'm guessing within last couple of years and so it's as reliable as a modern car as it's using modern parts
    the highest official ford chassis number is GT40P-1089, and that car dates from 1968. The vin of this car is GT40P2159, which is highly suspicious.

I'd go for the Superformance, purely based on the following video.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBL_TRqcc3Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBL_TRqcc3Y[/ame]

I would also consider the Gardener Douglas T70 if you get it in the US and a roof isn't quite so important to you. However there appears to be far more attention to detail on the Superformance.

Out of interest, does anyone know what transaxle the Superformance uses? I assumed it used a Porsche G50 like most other mid-engined 'kit' cars using the Ford & LS V8s (Ultima, T70), but I can find no reference to it on Superformance's site.

Edit: Answered my own question ... uses an RBT transaxle.

The 351W V8 is a proven powerplant and to my knowledge have been fairly reliable in Cobra kits. There's far less to go wrong on the Superformance than on the Ford GT, so I wouldn't doubt for a second that it would be more reliable than the GT.
    Last edited by :Exige:; 04-29-2011 at 03:34 AM.

Thread Information