Page 51 of 59 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Which car do you HATE most?

Read my name.
    I am the most humble person in the world and no one is going to tell me otherwise.

I have a new contender. It's the current VW Passat. Not only for being one of the blandest cars currently on sale but also for it's faulty electronics. A mate's Passat had a complete electronics collapse yeasterday which will cost loads to repair.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    I have a new contender. It's the current VW Passat. Not only for being one of the blandest cars currently on sale but also for it's faulty electronics. A mate's Passat had a complete electronics collapse yeasterday which will cost loads to repair.
    Quality VW engineering.

It's amazing that German engineering is so highly touted, and yet their cars aren't exactly known for being reliable. VW scores near the bottom or even dead last in JD Power's problems for the first hundred days or some shit (which is very poor considering they are a volume manufacturer), and Mercs, BMWs, and Audis aren't known for reliability either.

I don't know about surveys, but the Mini after 100.000 hard kilometres is still going strong. And the same can be said about the BMW and 80.000km.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Quality VW engineering.

It's amazing that German engineering is so highly touted, and yet their cars aren't exactly known for being reliable. VW scores near the bottom or even dead last in JD Power's problems for the first hundred days or some shit (which is very poor considering they are a volume manufacturer), and Mercs, BMWs, and Audis aren't known for reliability either.
    Mmh. I think, Mercedes has improved over the last years (since the Chrysler-affair ended). They may not be as good as they were before the "merger of equals", but they are on top again. It doesn't exactly shock me that Audis aren't that reliable, because they are in essence reengineered VWs. BMW is only bad in the states, but they are currently undergoing a phase of descending build quality (caused by their strategy of saving as much money as possible). Opel isn't that bad; their bad reputation is mainly caused by bad press and VW's propaganda. Porsche is pretty good for a sports car maker. Dunno about Wiesmann and Gumpert, they are simply not building enough cars.

I agree, their reliability isn't the best, but german engineering is still some of the world's best along with the japs (although the japanese brands have lost ground if you ignore thy hybrids chapter, especially Honda has become worse inmy eyes). During the recent months, I was totally baffled by the improvements of the US brands (which were pretty much out of sight for many years).
    But I have to say that i can't look at this topic without any prejudices
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

I've sat in a mk1 Mini (BMW's) a while ago, and I have to say the interior was quite worn out, and few of the switches had their lights gone. Pretty noisy too, or at least more than what I was expecting.
    On the other hand, our Stilo is still noisy as the first day (especially on the outside), and while that's not a good thing, it also mean it's aging particularly well. (9 years, 100.000 km or thereabout).
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

On the other hand it was only a month in the Delta (IIRC) and it had already had all sorts of niggling faults.

Main mechanical bits have always been OK, though.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

For the last few years in a listing made by insurance companies (which tends to be extremely accurate since they have a sizable monetary investment in that accuracy,) the numper of problems in the first 100,00 miles of Ford vehicles has been near or better than the top Japanese brands. But everyone knows american cars are horribly unreliable and can't turn.

That same listing had Mercedes pretty far down the rankings, too. Maybe it's just the models we get here that fall apart?
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

It could also be a perception thing.. are those surveys measured on satisfaction or acutual numbers?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    It could also be a perception thing.. are those surveys measured on satisfaction or acutual numbers?
    Definitely not 100,000 miles, but here is JD Power's initial quality ranking - based on problems experienced in the first 90 days of ownership.

Porsche leads.

Source, Autoblog and J.D. Power.
    Attached Images Attached Images

this is not good news for VAG.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    this is not good news for VAG.....
    We have a MkIV Golf...

How does Mercury have so many more problems than Ford and Lincoln?

VAG, Chrysler (duh), and Toyota really disappoint. Those are some bad numbers for two "reliable" brands, and, frankly, what I'd expect from Chrysler.

EDIT: Kitdy, it is named the ShityGolf for a reason.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Number of reported problems. I hate satisfaction rankings because they're even less accurate and more biased than reported problems.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Yea, even reported problems are dodgy.. you're more likely to report a problem with a luxury car than some cheapo thing you don't care about.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information