Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Small car

Small car

Hello fellow forumites,

We might be trading in both our current cars for a new supermini. We have a Saab 9-5 SE from 1999, and a Renault Megane hatch back from 2000. We're still thinking about what to do, but reasons for us wanting to trade in are simple:

-We can't afford to run and maintain the Saab (we recently had one fog light replaced at $600 NZDs.)
    -fuel cost is too high, I think it's close to $200 NZDs per filling.
    -I'm a learner, and using that car to learn on is frankly too pompous and ridiculous. Also, insurance for an under 25 driving a car with a turbo is far too expensive.

As for the Renault, well, it's French, and it's horrible, but that's not the main reason. The main reason is that the Saabs, despite having only done 23,000 kms in it's 10 year life span, is worth only around $10,000 NZDs now. Also, not much would consider a Saab over cars like BMW/Mercedes/Audi. So we thought, let's trade both cars in, and get something that is fully suitable for us both.

So I went car shopping today, and looked at a Ford Fiesta, and a Mazda 2. Currently, the Fiesta is much better IMO. It is far more spacious, the build quality is impeccable, bigger boot, and slightly more economical. Also, it looks so much better than the Mazda 2. We might test drive both cars next week.

Tomorrow though, we might go and see the Toyota Yaris, and VW Polo. Probably even look at Suzuki's Swift, and Fiat 500.

But for now, what do you guys think, and recommend?

Here are the conditions:

-Safe
    -Cheap
    -Practical
    -Economical
    -Reliable
    -Good looks (optional )

We're not considering second hand. Reasons... well... let's not go there
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

I am partial to the Swift, but I don't really know that much about it or any of them.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I would go with the Fiesta myself. Its a nice looking zippy slow car, and the build quality these days is good.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

I'd look for a preowned Echo RS or something along those lines. They aren't really cheap cheap to buy, because their residual value is typically very good. On the other hand, it will save you tons of cash on fuel, insurance, and maintenance. Toyota builds a solid car.

First, are you sure one car will be enough since you had to up to now?
    Second, of those you posted, the Polo is a bit larger, and could do the job (the new one that is).
    Cosidering the other cars, the Mazda has probably the better value for money. I personally don't like the Fiesta, which is also quite larger, as the Polo probably.
    The 2 should be compared against the Fiat 500 and Yaris, and it would be probably he way to go. The Yaris is good, but it's really small inside, no matter what they say. I'm 6 feet tall, I was a little, well, cramped.
    The other two are really more comfortable, Fiesta and Polo probably (didn't sit in them) even more.
    May I suggest a Fiat G.Punto (if available)? A slightly restyled model will be released in September, but the present one will say on th market offering a cheaper price.
    The reason of the restyling and coexistence of both models is to be found in the new emissions laws, Euro4 against Euro5. Every new car has to be Euro5 only, and while the G.Punto "needs" a restyling, there aren't so many Euro5 engines ready to be sold, so here you go. Could be a good deal, and it's an excellent choice.

personally, Mazda 2 (smaller) or VW Polo (new one, pending on some decent review).
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

We haven't used the Saab for months now, so we decided it's time to remove it. So yea, one car is definitely enough.

The Mazda 2 had a smaller boot than the Fiesta, and the build quality seems really bad. Also, there is very little space. Hardly any headroom, and leg room from rear passenger.
    The Suzuki Swift is really ugly for my tastes, but since our budget is limited, we will check it out. Same also with the Yaris.
    The Polo is a car I'm going to look at tomorrow, along with the Fiats. And yes, G.Punto is available, I forgot to mention that

I'm also keen on looking at the current Honda Jazz.

But currently, of all the cars I've named, I'm still most keen on the Fiesta.

I'll keep you guys posted

Being nosey, who's "we" Roentgen?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Being nosey, who's "we" Roentgen?
    Me and my mother

Hence the conditions for the new car.

Go take test drives in all of the cars, which it looks like your doing, then decide which will be best. People here have good intentions in there advice but everyone is has a bias towards some of these cars than others (not attacking anyone, my bias is towards the fiesta).

Also, the fiesta shouldn't be all that much bigger than the 2 as they are built on the same chassis, though not having been in either or seeing them side by side i can't judge.

Good luck with the buying of the new car.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Chevrolet Aveo/ Suzuki Swift
    Ford Fiesta
    Honda Fit
    Toyota Yaris
    Saturn Astra/ Opel Astra
    i honestly can't think of anything else... sorry.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Mazda 2

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    Chevrolet Aveo/ Suzuki Swift
    Ford Fiesta
    Honda Fit
    Toyota Yaris

Saturn Astra/ Opel Astra
    i honestly can't think of anything else... sorry.
    stay away from the bolded ones
    seriously
    i've had a honda jazz for about a month now, thank god i have other cars to drive
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Honestly, if you want to go dirt cheap, and surprisingly practical. This is what I use to get me from A - B after work and on weekends. Mine's got the extra Givi storage case on the back. Insurance is a joke, and gas is a genuine knee slapper.

$4.- fills my tank and gets me very far.

I would seriuosly consider the Fiesta or the new Polo, althought i'd be more inclined for the Polo, the choice of engines just seems more advanced, 1.2T and the 1.6tdi and you can also get the new gen DSG.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Unfortunately we didn't get to look at cars today, weather is too bad here atm...

Bikes are just not realistic for us lol. My mother seems to have a phobia for those things, and if I really wanted to bike, I already have a very good road bike. Good for exercise, and even more economical

Honestly though, I'm really keen on the Fiesta... almost completely have my mind set on it. Because we can only drive auto, it's only available with a 1.4 Lt engine. Might test drive it next week, unless they contact us earlier.

We still need to check out the Polo though. Conveniently, there is a VW showroom next to the Fiesta showroom. So we might accidently go wonder there one day

Thread Information