Thread: Abarth Scorpione 1300

Abarth Scorpione 1300

The Abarth Scorpione is Abarth's vision on the Grand Prix. That means that he rebuild the car according to his need for speed. But he did it in a neath way. Its exterior didn't change much. Only the fuelinlet moved from the engine compartment to the left rear fender. Although they look very simalar it is said that no bodypanel from the Scorpione fits on any Grand Prix.

Underneath a bit more is changed. Just like the Abarth 1300/124, Abarth's version of the Fiat 850 Coupe, a Fiat 124 engine is shoehorned into the engine compartment. It is (how?) mounted at the stock Fiat 850 gearbox. In order to improve the cooling is the radiotor moved to the front of the car.

There are available two mechanical versions, the 1300 Scorpion and the 1300 Scorpion S. Both have the same engine, the 1300 cc unit which gives 75 bhp at 6000 rpm, and is based on the Fiat 124. The original 1197 cc unit was increased to 1280.41 cc by boring the cylinders from 73 mm to 75.5 mm. The stroke, unchanged, remained at 71.5mm, while the compression ratio was upped to 10.5: 1.

The SS-version has also an improved suspension. At the front the suspension of the Abarth 1000 TC racers is used. The engine gives a bit more horsepower (100 instead of 75).

The smart body is a creation of Francis Lombardi, a young Italian car couturier. The same shape was sold under different names (Abarth, Lombardi, Giannini and OTAS) and with different engines.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Recently there was an email going around about a large collection of classics cars " found" in a Portugese barn. There was an Scorpione among them.

There also is an Abarth Scorpione for sale not too far from my home.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Corse View Post
    Recently there was an email going around about a large collection of classics cars " found" in a Portugese barn. There was an Scorpione among them.

There also is an Abarth Scorpione for sale not too far from my home.

Alex
    Yes there was. There are a lot of interesting cars on that collection, but that was one that instantly caught my attention.
    This one from the pics is also at Portugal, though on the pics it still had french license plates.

Hi McReis,

Oeps, I forgot you are in Portugal. Do you know more about that specific collection? I read that it was a private collection owned by a former car dealer who kept all of the interesting cars that came through his dealership. Indeed there were some very nice cars in the collection, like a Steyr-Puch 500, several Lotus', some Porsched and of course the Abarth which seemed to be in a rather sorry state.

Alex

in last Dec/Jan, this times, hace a thread specific whit lot of information and photos, about that "caverna de Ali Babá" (I don't know english name for 'caverna', something like a hole in mountain, Ali Baba owner of a lot of lost cars...
    look in December and January and you find. I don't know waht words are apropriated for use in the search engine
    "I don't take any photo, just collect in all the web and share"

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Here it is:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=30883

@ ribatejo69: the English word for "caverna" would be either "cave" or "cavern"
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Corse View Post
    Hi McReis,

Oeps, I forgot you are in Portugal. Do you know more about that specific collection? I read that it was a private collection owned by a former car dealer who kept all of the interesting cars that came through his dealership. Indeed there were some very nice cars in the collection, like a Steyr-Puch 500, several Lotus', some Porsched and of course the Abarth which seemed to be in a rather sorry state.

Alex
    Yes. That's a rather obscure story. The fact is that the owner who stored them for years, probably becuase of personal finantial issues, is selling most of those cars. He said he is planning on keeping some 8 to 10 of the most interesting cars to restore. Although the cars seem to be in a poor condition, those who have been there state that they are better than they look. There is obviously a lot of dirt to remove, and probably some engines to remake due to lack of use. However, their bodies seem to be ok as the "barn" has the correct ventilation and most walls had isolation.
    There were many interesting models from Lotus and Alfa. I wouldn't mind having one or two.

Would Be Nice If Maybe The "year" Side Of Things Were Maybe Added Somwere Along The Lines, We Cant All Guess

It was sold by Rich Motor, Glendale , CA .

Long, long time ago

Thread Information